About amps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I have a question about the amps that Edge has used.
I know that for the most part, he's used Vox AC30 (obviously), some Fender amps (Harvard, Deluxe Tweed and Blues Jr.) and Randall amps in late 80s-90s.

But what else has he used?

For example, I, for seem reason, don't know anything about his gear around UF to Joshua Tree. And I've heard that he's used Mesa, which is the amp company I'm not that familiar with (though I love their Mark series). So...can you guys help me on that?

He used some form of Hiwatts for parts of ATYCLB, I think.

For UF and Joshua tree I'd guess that the AC30s did almost all the heavy lifting, with one of the Fender amps doing the shimmer effect. That's just a guess though.

Yeah, Hiwatts, forgot about that. Hiwatt sounds like typical British amps (meaning more mids, less bottoms and much focused sound), right?

yeah, I did some research and I totally forgot about that fact that he used to use Roland JC-120 possibly for keyboard and some guitars. And Marshall in 360 tour, which was off-stage amp. Yes, I probably over-generalized in original post.

He seemed to be playing an awful lot of guitar during the 360 tour as well though. I've seen vids where you can barely hear the Edge on the account of Bono playing something different.

He seemed to be playing an awful lot of guitar during the 360 tour as well though. I've seen vids where you can barely hear the Edge on the account of Bono playing something different.

I've seen video of them playing Bad in Europe (somewhere in Switzerland) that Bono was playing with the Edge.

But in general, at least in my observation, he played much less and most of them are just plain rhythm guitars. In the show I went 4 years ago (Chicago show in 2011), Bono wasn't playing much, only for the Fly and One.

I'll excavate this thread as I'm bored; I found this article while back when I was looking up Washburn guitar he was using prior to ZooTV era and I come across this article: The Edge of U2 (Part 2)

this says that Edge used to use MarkIIC, which is relatively high-gain amp. Im surprised, though it makes sense that he likes Fender-esque gain sounds.

I dont remember hi gain in the joshua tree... Much clean sounds

i know, but Mark IIC is naturally high-gain sounding (you know, used by James Hetfield and all that. in addition to John Petrucci). I just thought it was weird that lots of Joshua tree tour had tons of clean sounds. Cleaner than ZooTV, certainly

The article did say he used the IIC on A Sort of Homecoming and The Unforgettable Fire, which are quite experimental in nature so he could be using that amp in a different way then 'turn everything up to 11 and chugga chugga chugga!'

I can only think of chug-y sound from Mark IIC. but I'm sure clean sound of Mark II can be used to do some of the stereo stuff (like shimmer). I think article mentioned that, right?

I also hearing about Edge using Orange and Divided by 13, which I have never seen....but it's true that Edge has used every amps imaginable in studio, I'm sure.

it'll be very interesting if he suddenly starts using 5150 or Mark V from Mesa

I also hearing about Edge using Orange and Divided by 13, which I have never seen....but it's true that Edge has used every amps imaginable in studio, I'm sure.

it'll be very interesting if he suddenly starts using 5150 or Mark V from Mesa

Edge used a Divided By Thirteen around the Atomic Bomb era. The Orange amps were used in the 'Discotheque' video.

Back
Top Bottom