You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
I play it about 3 times a day. I almost gave it a 7 after 48 hours of it being out there, but very glad I gave it an 8 instead. It is a great track. I definetly see it in my top 50 u2 songs list. Can't imagine what the rest of the album could be like. :hyper:

this is a better poll than the other one. Quantifying the amount of like or dislike you have for a song is rather stupid and can be misleading. On the other poll, some people were saying the song is average and gave it a 7.

Average = 70/100. When you use simple math, that breaks down to 7/10... which would be average. Amazing.

I'm an uncritical sheep - loved it then, love it now. :shrug: I knew I would, based on the beach clip, unless they changed it dramatically.

If I have one *tiny* criticism of the song, it's the lyrics of the "here’s where we gotta be, love and community" verse. To me, that verse is too lighthearted and optimistic for the "dirty" music. One. Coexist. Whatever. I know all that. But that's hardly a drop in the bucket, and I can ignore that for what I consider an amazing song otherwise.

Any lyrics that I thought were cheese (there were a couple, especially the submarine part) has now melted on a triscuit (cracker) with a slice of pepperoni on top. It is all good now. :D

Average = 70/100. When you use simple math, that breaks down to 7/10... which would be average. Amazing.

See, on Earth (where I'm from), average means middle-of-the-pack, neither here nor there, in between good and bad. The middle of the scale of 0 - 10 is consequently 5. Yet, wherever you're from, you say 7 is average. Boggles the mind, really.

See, on Earth (where I'm from), average means middle-of-the-pack, neither here nor there, in between good and bad. The middle of the scale of 0 - 10 is consequently 5. Yet, wherever you're from, you say 7 is average. Boggles the mind, really.

But, as you so perceptively pointed out, this is a U2 forum. For a fan, 7/10 would be considered average. Most fans don't dole out 1/10s lightly.

I have to say...at least right at the moment...I don't love it as much as I did earlier. Can't really put my finger on why.

it was alright the first couple of times, but really this just sounds like vertigo part 2 to me. the song would actually benefit had there actually never been vertigo, or elevation before it, as it is at least an improvement on both of those.

i dont know. i'm not surprised, because i don't expect u2 to surprise me anymore. it's just pretty much the same thing over and over again with them these days... but, i'll hold out final judgement until after i hear the album. still excited to hear it.

listening to a man trying to be sexy at 50, also doesn't help things either.

at least he doesn't sing "soul". pretty rare these days, so that in itself is a bonus.

I liked it then, still like it alot. I think it shows the damned if you do, damned if you dont dilemma U2 always faces. Now that they put out something different and innovative, people are saying it wont be a hit, wont sell the album, etc.

Here is a great review I thought I would share from the Boston Herald: U2 ‘Boots’ up: Irish megaband broadens its ‘Horizon’ - BostonHerald.com

i'm calling bullshit on this... something different and innovative?
how is this song either of those?

this IS a straight forward rock song (not that there's anything wrong with that), despite what alan cross might have said before anyone else heard the song.

I think what U2 are really experimenting with on "Boots" is song structure and tempo. I also think the Moroccon influences in the "you don't know how beautiful, you are" chorus are new for U2. Technically, Fast Cars was NOT part of HTDAAB and honestly, Fast Cars was more Middle Eastern, than Moroccan, but similar, no doubt.

I really dig the song, after liking it at first, liking it less, and now loving it. I am kind of addicted to it, always singning it and always wanting to hear it because there are a lot of layers to explore!

I'm not sure if it was the greatest choice for a first single but I think will fit nicely in the 6th spot on the ablum, especially if the rest of the album has a similar flavour!

:applaud:

I wish someone could explain to me how this song sounds like Vertigo.

The sing-speak verses. The similar guitar riffing style. Similar guitar distortion tone (GOYB is slighty more metallic). The fact that the bassline is no different from the main guitar riff in both songs--to me, this is lazy composition. "Let me in the sound" and "yeah yeah yeah" are shouted and could very well be interchangeable between the songs (go ahead and sing "let me in the sound" at the end of vertigo and "yeah yeah yeah" in goyb).

"Let me in the sound" and "yeah yeah yeah" are shouted and could very well be interchangeable between the songs (go ahead and sing "let me in the sound" at the end of vertigo and "yeah yeah yeah" in goyb).

This is a horrible comparison.

Also, the main guitar riff in Vertigo utilizes power chords, while GOYB's does not. Just wanted to point that out.

Just keeps getting better and better with each listen.

Gotta say that video of the Red Haired kid playing the drums of it really makes me appreciate the song more assuming Larry played it the same way.

Really good drumming

This is a horrible comparison.

Also, the main guitar riff in Vertigo utilizes power chords, while GOYB's does not. Just wanted to point that out.

This is true. No debate there.

As for the yeah yeah yeah and let me in the sound comparison, maybe i was reaching a little. but it can be sung interchangeably regardless.

The sing-speak verses. The similar guitar riffing style. Similar guitar distortion tone (GOYB is slighty more metallic). The fact that the bassline is no different from the main guitar riff in both songs--to me, this is lazy composition. "Let me in the sound" and "yeah yeah yeah" are shouted and could very well be interchangeable between the songs (go ahead and sing "let me in the sound" at the end of vertigo and "yeah yeah yeah" in goyb).

you forgot abot one, they're both like... you know... songs :rolleyes:

The song is a killer imo! Getting more used to the lyrics and it´s a real grower, great to listen in the car when driving when you can scream your lungs out if you want to :D:lol:

Look, someone wanted to know why people think these songs are similar and I listed what I honestly thought were the similarities. I did not disparage anyone, so why are you disparaging me?

not you, your opinion :wave:
Why? because with the type of arguments that you listed you could "prove" that Discotheque is similar to The Fly, Beautiful Day is similar to LNOE, Streets is similar to Pride, Mofo is similar to "Daddys gonna pay for your crashed car" etc, etc
see?

I love the guitar and can't wait to hear it when it breaks out again 30 secs from the end. Overall I still like it and I feel it's just the tip of the iceberg of what else we'll hear on the record.

not you, your opinion :wave:
Why? because with the type of arguments that you listed you could "prove" that Discotheque is similar to The Fly, Beautiful Day is similar to LNOE, Streets is similar to Pride, Mofo is similar to "Daddys gonna pay for your crashed car" etc, etc

Actually, none of the songs you paired are similar to one another. I couldn't make the case for any of those examples if I tried.

Back
Top Bottom