You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters

gujuju

The Fly
...is it getting better or worse for you?

I really like the song a lot, but I am still not yet compelled to put it on repeat like many of my favorite U2 songs. I may be listening to it just because its new. But I am hopeful I will appreciate it more over time...

I like it as much as I did on the first listen, maybe a little more b/c of Larry channeling Led Zeppelin during the Let me in the sound part.

To quote Merriweather from "Sleeping Beauty": I still think what I thunk before. :lol: It's nothing new or groundbreaking that we haven't heard from U2 before in some sort of incarnation. It's a hodgepodge, though a very well done hodgepodge, of 'Fast Cars', 'Vertigo', 'Miami' and 'Love And Peace Or Else'. And finally, IMO, it's much better than 'Vertigo' and it's what 'Vertigo' should've been the way they talked about it prior to its release.

It has grown on me, but since i found it very very weak i just think that its just ok now. For a first single it's not good enough though, Vertigo and BD are miles better for an example. But i have hopes that it will blend into the album just fine.

I had no idea what to think of it when it first came out, but I know I never disliked it. Since then, I've listened to it over 100 times, and it has grown on me, and it continues to grow on me. I think I'm trying to get used to Bono's singing in the verses too :giggle:....but the "let me in the sound" part is so fucking epic. I can't imagine ever really getting tired of this song though. I like how it's not over the top catchy. There's something restrained about it, in a good way, that keeps it fresh. And yeah, I'm hoping it blends in with the rest of the album. :)

I thought it was merely okay on first listen. On second listen (later that night) I thought it was a bit better, but that the mix was awful.

Now I've heard it another half-dozen times since then, and my opinion of it keeps dropping every time I do. I've gone from "merely okay" to "not very good". This is similar to how I felt when I first heard Vertigo. Hopefully by the time the album comes out I won't consider the song to be "fucking terrible", which is what I thought of Vertigo by the time HTDAAB came out (and still do, what a half-assed effort that was).

Still sounding good for me as I first listened to it. I have to thank the layers and production for that. I love that sharp sound in the background and the groove is still infectious. I hope the new video is cool.

None of the above? I listen one day and hate it. Listen the next and love it. I think it's a song that will appeal more to women than men.

It has grown on me. I have come to enjoy it - finally. I gave it a 7/10 but now I'd give it a 7.5/10. 10 being U2's bestest ever song like Streets, WOWY, One, Sunday bloody sunday, Grace, etc.

But it's a bit like vertigo in that it's one of those songs which you think are good songs, but never really have a high desire to listen to them. I'm listening to it now because it's new and sounds new, but like Vertigo as it ages I'm not sure that out of no where I will jump up and say "hey you know what song I really want to listen to? Get on your boots" 10 years from now. Right now I have a real urge to listen to Ultraviolet. I really love that song. But I don't know, I reallly do NOT know whether I will feel about the same about this song.

Some songs take time to grow on you but it is imperative that you don't end up MAKING yourself like the song - getting stuck in the river of peer pressure and force yourself into liking the song.

Get on your boots is a good song. Hell, it's a very good song. But it lacks that little bit of spark, that little bit of magic that turns a good song... which it is... into one of the very best.. which it isn't.

To be honest, it gets better with each listen and for the first time, I get it (at least I think I do!!). This has been discussed and drifted but today I actually listened to the message, not the song. Someone earlier made a comment to the extent (actually literally said) that it's a big "fuck you" to the terrorists. I tend to disagree. I personally think it's a big hug to all sides of conflict today. I believe it's almost a message of peace or at least a 2000's reprise of SBS but with a twist. I believe it's a message of hope and a plea for peace. That's my take.

Just listened to it twice in a row. It's definitely held strong. I'm not completely regretting the 8/10 I originally gave it.

To be honest, it gets better with each listen and for the first time, I get it (at least I think I do!!). This has been discussed and drifted but today I actually listened to the message, not the song. Someone earlier made a comment to the extent (actually literally said) that it's a big "fuck you" to the terrorists. I tend to disagree. I personally think it's a big hug to all sides of conflict today. I believe it's almost a message of peace or at least a 2000's reprise of SBS but with a twist. I believe it's a message of hope and a plea for peace. That's my take.

It sounds to me about throwing away fear. At least that's what I get. I wonder if the video will be different than the song or uphold a particular message they want to get across.

this is a better poll than the other one. Quantifying the amount of like or dislike you have for a song is rather stupid and can be misleading. On the other poll, some people were saying the song is average and gave it a 7.

I really dug it after about two listens. I still really dig it. My only beef remains with the verses (don't like the melody, don't like the way Bono sings that part). But everything else, I love.

I like it a tad more than I did originally. Did not rate it then, but it's safe to say I thought it was a solid 6 (on the U2 scale, which is relative). I'd give it a 6.5 now, with an expected 7 or more when I hear this jim-jam Live.

That's my take too. But I'm still listening.

anyone heard a Lossless version yet?

Can't say for sure, but I heard it on some really good speakers and it knocked me out.
I can't wait for the official release. I want to listen to it on vinyl on the speakers (not mine, unfortunately) I heard it on last night. :hyper:

Im liking it more and more and i think it will catch on on radio, it souns so modern for near 50 yr olds which it the thing im most proud of

vertigo was a little embarassing in part for me (namely the count in intro with the delay on bonos voice and the same delay on the yeah yeah yeah'sat the end)

I find nothing like that in boots, a song to take home to meet your friends......

I like it more than I did before. I was listening to it on my way back from class yesterday and may or may not have been frolicking.

:shifty:

Back
Top Bottom