You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
Serious? Yeah, obviously up against Big Girls, which is just a throw away, but the Fly and Mofo? I can't see how it even remotely compares. I'm just happy that it's way better than the Vertigo/Elevation/All Because of You line of "rock" tracks.

I didn't even put Vertigo, Elevation, or All Because of You on there...

But I did put Fast Cars...

But yeah, I'm serious. It actually fits really nice mixed in with the Pop tunes. It happens to be right before The Fly on this paticular mix and what I found interesting is I know Boots is mixed loud, but The Fly's mix sounds horrible right after Boots. Don't get me wrong The Fly is still a much better song, but yeah I think Boots can fit in well with these songs.

I had the same experience.

Once I stopped comparing it to Achtung Baby, I enjoyed it much more.

Honestly, I don't mind a much more interesting version of Vertigo if the song serves a purpose in the whole album's flow.

By all acounts we will be getting a strong cohesive album of which Boots is a small part and serves a specific purpose. It's a really fun song!

Good points here. You can't compare ONE song to an album in its entirety. If TTTYAATW or EBTTRT wasn't on Achtung Baby and U2 released them as brand new songs we'd have to endure endless posts about how trite they are and how they don't match up to the majesty that is Achung Baby.

With the benefit of hindsight and the benefit of having listened to AB for 17 years we realize that they're essential to the flow and character of U2's best album.

Let's hear the album and make our judgements then. For most Interferencers thats going to be the real test of how good an album
track Boots is.

Obviously there's a minority of Interferencers who are going to LOVE NLOTH regardless of how good it is. As well as another group who will crucify it regardless of how good it is.
They've already started for cripes sakes. "it's U2's third masterpiece!"
"It's gonna suck! U2 are terrible now. I wanna listen to Discotheque and the Fly again."

Well one week after hearing it, nothing's changed. Tryin to be open minded as possible with this song, but it's just a dud in MHO. Very forgettable. To me, not innovative at all considering the fact the song is exactly like Escape Club/Costello. Is anyone else the least bit ashamed U2 blatantly lifted the same melody? I mean it's like five years of writing songs, and this is all they can come up with?

Good U2 songs, as in all songs, jump out at you. They have a substance to them or something intangible about them. This song has nothing memorable about it. I actually am wondering what I'm going to do when they play this live. I'll probably use it as the sacrificial song I pick to run to the bathroom.

Well one week after hearing it, nothing's changed. Tryin to be open minded as possible with this song, but it's just a dud in MHO. Very forgettable. To me, not innovative at all considering the fact the song is exactly like Escape Club/Costello. Is anyone else the least bit ashamed U2 blatantly lifted the same melody? I mean it's like five years of writing songs, and this is all they can come up with?

Good U2 songs, as in all songs, jump out at you. They have a substance to them or something intangible about them. This song has nothing memorable about it. I actually am wondering what I'm going to do when they place this live. I'll probably use it as the sacrificial song I pick to run to the bathroom.

Just to let you know artists lift ideas all the time from other people consciously or not and that includes The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and anyone else. This shouldn't be a surprise since so many people are working within the rock 'n roll template. Even Animal Collective is going down a path charted already by Brian Wilson despite many great songs.

What concerns me is that from the beach clips, Boots sounded like Vertigo a bit to me, but with a different kind of chorus. Now that I hear the production and verses, it really reminds me of Vertigo.

Breathe reminded me of WITS. I hope that is not what it winds up being.

Unknown Caller and Magnificent definitely sounded the most promising. I hold out hope for those two tunes at least.

It's got the same 12/8 groove.

Hopefully the chords/melodies will be better.

This song has nothing memorable about it. I actually am wondering what I'm going to do when they play this live. I'll probably use it as the sacrificial song I pick to run to the bathroom.

Haha, that's exactly what I thought about every single song from the last album.

It means it's the same beat; WITS was one of the first times they used this beat; apparently they thought it was all that and decided to use it again.

And you seriously think this is a problem? If reusing a beat is a problem then throw out most of the last 40 years of rock and roll because anything after Didley, Fats, Berry, B.B. King is totally suspect. :D

Dana

yeah yeah....

It sucked on WITS and I hope it doesn't suck on Breathe.

i played the song for my brother today, who had not heard it...he likes U2, but not a fan like i am. he hated the last two albums. i blasted it in the car and waited for his reaction....he said: "that's actually pretty cool."

btw, i dug the song the first time i heard it and went back and forth with different degrees of likeness over the course of this week. my assessment today: nothing too earth shattering, but it's going to have its place on the album and it's not a song i will skip. that makes me happy.

ok ok ok ok ok,

I'm just worried if they released this thinking it would be a hit, because it's a "better" track on the album. I like it, but I always like to see the boys get good radio play and recognition.

Boots still a very solid track

I'm still liking Boots after a dozen or so listens. Not the best U2 single, but one that appeals to a "younger generation". Fear not, I believe the rest of the new album will be different. No Line on the Horizon will be better than Atomic Bomb...Possibly one of the best albums they have put out ever based on the other songs I have heard.

I'm still liking Boots after a dozen or so listens. Not the best U2 single, but one that appeals to a "younger generation". Fear not, I believe the rest of the new album will be different. No Line on the Horizon will be better than Atomic Bomb...Possibly one of the best albums they have put out ever based on the other songs I have heard.

Welcome to Blue Crack. :wink:

it's plain awful. u2 has gotten really lazy.

Now, you have every right to think it's awful, but lazy?

Can you explain?

If I'm not mistaken this is probably U2 fastest songs, it has some really intersting textures, and it goes in a lot different directions in 3 1/2 minutes.

Lazy would be rewriting BD or ISHFWILF...

Can you explain?

If I'm not mistaken this is probably U2 fastest songs, it has some really intersting textures, and it goes in a lot different directions in 3 1/2 minutes.

It's not worth bothering. The band said it themselves. They are competing against themselves whether they want to or not and they don't want to lose. The expectations are extreme since U2's back catalogue is so awesome. If anything it's good many people don't get it. If U2 rehashed other albums they would be criticized anyways. They can't avoid criticism after this level of success. People are going to bitch and moan even after an awesome album is in full display because expectations that are too high can make any album seem like crap.

It's like drugs. People are used to a certain level and style and they want it to jump from marijuana to heroin to blow their minds. Anything less will be "crap" or "lazy". :wink:

And now what?

It's been a week since we all heard Boots; some people like it, some don't, but everybody here is eager to hear more new stuff, so when will get to hear any other new song before the album release? Or will we even be able to hear any new sound before the end of Feb???
Does anybody here believe that there will be any minor leak, like a snippet of a song or something like that? Does anybody has a clue about something new coming out these folowing days?

It's all so quiet now, even Boots failed to create a big fuzz around the album.

I hope we get some crumbs before the launch so we can get through this weeks without killing ourselves because of the antecitaption. :wink:

Can you explain?

I can't see where people find so much innovation in Boots. It's a ok song with some groove, fast spoken vocals and a different beat in the middle. But it's nothing like a breakthrough song. And many people believe that is loosely related to Vertigo, which i agree. This said, Boot is refreshing on one side and weak first single on another. It will not reinvent rock for U2 and it's repetitive at the same time.

It's been a week since we all heard Boots; some people like it, some don't, but everybody here is eager to hear more new stuff, so when will get to hear any other new song before the album release? Or will we even be able to hear any new sound before the end of Feb???
Does anybody here believe that there will be any minor leak, like a snippet of a song or something like that? Does anybody has a clue about something new coming out these folowing days?

I hope we get some crumbs before the launch so we can get through this weeks without killing ourselves because of the antecitaption. :wink:

U2 are going to rip Coldplay off next week and break up. You heard it here first.

Maybe this should have been moved to NLOTH general discussion thread instead... :hmm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom