You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
">If 'Get On your Boots' is any indication of the rest of 'No Line On The Horizon' and
>U2's musical direction, I think we can fashion 4 caskets, and label
>them: Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry. U2 is dead. What an unimaginative
>piece of garbage.

">If 'Get On your Boots' is any indication of the rest of 'No Line On The Horizon' and
>piece of garbage.

:lol:

nice one :up:

Nearly 79% of the 367 who voted either still love the song, or find that it's better than they originally thought.

>piece of garbage.

Edit: never mind ... I may be confusing peopkiss with ponkine.

It grew on me for the first few (many) listens, but now that I've heard it about 100 times its flattening. Maybe it'll be better after a little rest, but it's not going to be one of my favorites. That doesn't really matter, most of the lead singles aren't among my favorites so it bodes well for the album :)

the music sounds too similar to Vertigo (I don't see how anybody can't make this connection) . . . .

this.

I like the song a lot. I think it's fun, fuzzed out, dirty rock and it sounds great blasting from my speakers in my car.

Having said that, I don't think it's groundbreaking or inventive for U2 at all. And I think after 4 years, we do deserve something a bit different and less derivative of their last album. After 'Vertigo', 'Native Son', 'Fast Cars' and 'Xanax and Wine', they really shouldn't have put GOYB out as the song to represent their "new" sound. :no:

Hmm. Lets see. Did you ever go to school? Judging from your posts, please don't answer that.

Where I come from, an average grade is a "C". A "C" equates to anywhere between a 70-79. "Above Average to Pretty Good" would be "80-89", and "Great to Excellent/Perfect" would be "90-100."

"Inadequate" would be "60-69" (Where I'm from), and that would "receive" (a grade of) "D".

A "failing" "grade" or an "F" (NOT the mid of the pack). Which would be <60.

Thank you for being a jackass, as always. So I guess I should just say, thank you for being you.:wave:

Thank you for that unnecessarily lengthy explanation of the US school grading system. You should have pride in knowing you are the only person bold enough to assign "average" a value of "7" using this logic. Hell, it just might even become fashionable for everyone else to follow your lead just to spite me. I won't even get into technical mathematical definitions of the word average because I bet that might confuse you. After all, if you went through your whole life understanding that 70-79 is the only acceptable numerical values of "average", how could I possibly expect you to embrace the totally radical concept that the real mathematical average of 0 and 10 is 5?

Thank you for that unnecessarily lengthy explanation of the US school grading system. You should have pride in knowing you are the only person bold enough to assign "average" a value of "7" using this logic. Hell, it just might even become fashionable for everyone else to follow your lead just to spite me. I won't even get into technical mathematical definitions of the word average because I bet that might confuse you. After all, if you went through your whole life understanding that 70-79 is the only acceptable numerical values of "average", how could I possibly expect you to embrace the totally radical concept that the real mathematical average of 0 and 10 is 5?

:lol:

I don't think it's groundbreaking or inventive for U2 at all. And I think after 4 years, we do deserve something a bit different and less derivative of their last album. After 'Vertigo', 'Native Son', 'Fast Cars' and 'Xanax and Wine', they really shouldn't have put GOYB out as the song to represent their "new" sound. :no:

:applaud:

I'm pretty indifferent towards it. It's average. Nothing to hate and nothing to be excited about. It's just... there.

I'm disappointed because I thought we'd be getting something really cool.

i'm calling bullshit on this... something different and innovative?
how is this song either of those?

this IS a straight forward rock song (not that there's anything wrong with that), despite what alan cross might have said before anyone else heard the song.

Call bullshit all you want, knock yourself out!

Different:Does it sound like anything you hear on the radio now? It has alot more changes of pace, the chorus, the verses are all innovative for a rock song. It doesn't sound like Human or Sex on Fire or Viva la Vida, thats for damn sure.

Innovative:You haven't heard U2 do anything like this before. Not Pop, not Fast Cars, not LAPOE, nothing they have done sounds like this. U2 mixing their traditional rock sound with all these elements and releasing it as a first single is indeed innovative. Nothing Alan Cross said in his review was unreasonable.

It's growing on me. I voted it a 6 in the poll after it came out, but right now I could give it a 7. I do have the feeling though that I will be extremely tired of it by the time the tour rolls around. A year from now I can see it being one of my least favorite U2 songs. Then again, a kickass live version during the tour might make it one to remember.

I still like it as much as I liked it before. I've only listened to it -20 times though. :up:

Call bullshit all you want, knock yourself out!

Innovative:You haven't heard U2 do anything like this before. Not Pop, not Fast Cars, not LAPOE, nothing they have done sounds like this. U2 mixing their traditional rock sound with all these elements and releasing it as a first single is indeed innovative. Nothing Alan Cross said in his review was unreasonable.

Innovation is when NO ONE else has done anything like it before. This song is hardly worthy of being described as innovative. The drumming is pretty much standard. The bassline is nothing extraordinary and has the exact same notes as the main guitar riff. That guitar riff isn't mindblowing. The guitar distortion sound is easy to produce. The song structure? Radiohead has come up with far more interesting arrangements than this, to say the least. The "let me in the sound" that some of you rave about is probably the least original part of the song.

Innovation is when NO ONE else has done anything like it before. This song is hardly worthy of being described as innovative. The drumming is pretty much standard. The bassline is nothing extraordinary and has the exact same notes as the main guitar riff. That guitar riff isn't mindblowing. The guitar distortion sound is easy to produce. The song structure? Radiohead has come up with far more interesting arrangements than this, to say the least. The "let me in the sound" that some of you rave about is probably the least original part of the song.

Lets be honest here mate, all your ever gonna do is be negative arent you?, you have no intention of ever taking part in any positive discussions? as long as you think your opinion is the most valid then your happy.

Lets be honest here mate, all your ever gonna do is be negative arent you?, you have no intention of ever taking part in any positive discussions? as long as you think your opinion is the most valid then your happy.

So far it looks like I have more to offer to the discussions than you. All you are doing is calling out people for their negativity. Very original.

To be honest, it gets better with each listen and for the first time, I get it (at least I think I do!!). This has been discussed and drifted but today I actually listened to the message, not the song. Someone earlier made a comment to the extent (actually literally said) that it's a big "fuck you" to the terrorists. I tend to disagree. I personally think it's a big hug to all sides of conflict today. I believe it's almost a message of peace or at least a 2000's reprise of SBS but with a twist. I believe it's a message of hope and a plea for peace. That's my take.

I agree...loads of reviews have said that this song picks up where Vertigo left off. To me it picks up where Love and Peace left off, both thematically and sonically. Although it is a little more light hearted in its delivery. The structure also reminds me of Discotheque.

Someone in a different thread said it was a song about the Middle East, I think that it is in part true, but I think it is a song about/against fear, where ever it exists, Iraq or middle America. The "you don't know how beautiful you are" line, while possibly cliched, in the context of the song is a reference to to someone not realizing how beautiful being human is, and the potential that life is.

I love the song. The first listen I wasn't sure, but after my third or fourth listen on a proper stereo (to hear Adams ground shaking bass) I was hooked. I cannot wait for this record.

:| Uhhh, going back 26 years to 1983: New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You, Desire, The Fly, Beautiful Day.

I'd say U2 more often than not puts out one of their best songs as the first single.

Well this is accoring to my taste. I like probably 98% of their songs so just about any song on any album is good to me. Certainly BD, V, and D are not the best songs on those albums. For me the last 3 albums the best songs were Gone, Kite, and COBL. Gone and Kite weren't even put out as singles. I don't know if The Fly is their best song on AB but it's one of the best. Desire wasn't the best first single choice for me though I love it. WOWY, Pride and NYD are the best first singles for those albums.

Lets be honest hear mate. If U2s first single sounded like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star you would still say its the best song they have ever done :tongue:

I would really hope so.
Thankfully there's a bunch off Bomb that I really enjoy, despite the fact I think Vertigo is shite.

Back
Top Bottom