You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
oh i loved it at first, really really loved it, and made sure i didn't listen to it too much as i didn't want to end up getting sick of it... but sometimes now it just feels too flippin fast and does my head in - although that does depend on the time of day haha

I love it even more now, if you listen to it through headphones its really amazing, put it between older u2 songs on your ipod and when it pups up you are: WOW:hyper::up:!!!

Will we have a poll like this every week now? :huh:

I don't listen to it much, but when I hear it, I still like it. Not more, not less. Whatever irritated me the first time I heard it still irritates me today. What I liked the first time, I still like now.

I've voted I still love it as much..., because I've been voting my positive view from the very beginning and I don't want to mislead you in case you decide to make a comparison between the 2 polls, but it took me about three listenings to get it.
On the other hand, I really think you are doing these polls too quickly, it would have been better if you waited at least for a couple of weeks to do the second one, then you could see if there's some significant deviation from the first one.
Another thing I find quite shocking (it's the first time I'm in Interference for an album release) is that people seem to be playing the song continually just to asses if they sill like or dislike it, oh, come on, let the things flow, "be the road"...

it seems U2 albums always have had this 1 more rocking track meant for their live shows more than anything else
these songs have never been the sort of song I thought showed what a great band they are
so when I first heard Boots I liked it ok but that was about it
starting to actually quite love it now though
it just works for me
especially the lyrics
:up:

I listen to it twice a day to and from work ...sounds alot better with the volume CRANKED up !

I liked it at first, but as I continue to digest it I think it's a really strong song. Everyone contributes something memorable to it and it comes together really well. The production is great. I think it's a perfect first single and I expect it to have some legs as others get used to it.

I love it even more now, if you listen to it through headphones its really amazing, put it between older u2 songs on your ipod and when it pups up you are: WOW:hyper::up:!!!

On my U2 playlist Boots flows into The Fly then God part 2,it still sounds great to me even after over 100 listens!

Listened 5 or 5 times in a row when first out. Loved it.
Waited a week. Listened another 5 or 6 times and you know what?
Still love it.
It sounds longer than 3+ minutes because it changes up so much.
My roomate who tolerates U2 because of me said it sounds "progressive". Which is a compliment coming from him. I agree.
Bring on NLOTH.

It did the absolute opposite to me then majority of people. I loved it at the first and a couple more listens but the more and more I've been playing that song the more and more my liking for it has been declining. Those hip hopish verses are the main reason. Now I don't listen to it anymore

"Discotheque" was a song I loved the first time I heard it. By the time "Pop" came out, I found myself skipping the song on the album. Even now, I'm not a fan and actually prefer the more "rock" version on the "Best Of".

"Beautiful Day" - I see how people love this song. However, for me it was a bit too adult contemporary. I don't mind it, but I won't rush to listen to it.

GOYB falls somewhere along "The Fly" - a song that is fun, but won't define the new album. A song that has elements of the past, but sounds like nothing U2 has done before. Some may hate it, some may scratch their heads over it, but it won't be a song I foresee skipping. But it also won't be a song I see myself rushing to hear in concert. As a result, it's maintained its rather high score of a 7/8 (out of 10) as the song is different from all else I hear out there, yet clearly it's still U2. I can see how it would polarize the U2 camp, and to me, that's a good thing.

But it's a bit like vertigo in that it's one of those songs which you think are good songs, but never really have a high desire to listen to them. I'm listening to it now because it's new and sounds new, but like Vertigo as it ages I'm not sure that out of no where I will jump up and say "hey you know what song I really want to listen to? Get on your boots" 10 years from now. Right now I have a real urge to listen to Ultraviolet. I really love that song. But I don't know, I reallly do NOT know whether I will feel about the same about this song.

Some songs take time to grow on you but it is imperative that you don't end up MAKING yourself like the song - getting stuck in the river of peer pressure and force yourself into liking the song.

Get on your boots is a good song. Hell, it's a very good song. But it lacks that little bit of spark, that little bit of magic that turns a good song... which it is... into one of the very best.. which it isn't.

After a week, this is pretty much exactly how I feel about this song. I liked it from the beginning, and I still do now. But it's not a U2 classic by any means, and I highly doubt it will ever become one. It's a very good, catchy rock tune, and in my opinion deeper and more sophisticated than Vertigo or Elevation (song structure, production, lyrics). But it doesn't touch me the way other U2 songs do. Which is not a problem for me, not all songs have to reach to the deepest parts of your soul to be good... I'm confident the album will have more anthemic and moving moments anyways.

I felt from the beach clip that this was a strange choice as a first single as it would probably remind people of Vertigo, at least on the surface (and it does). But I have a feeling that this album might just not have many potentially good singles. That doesn't mean there aren't any good songs, quite the contrary, but we might have to live with the fact that this is not a singles album, and therefore might not be as commercially successful as the previous 2 albums. I personally couldn't care less, as long as the quality is there.

It doesn't stir me on an emotional level and/or stimulate me on an intellectual level. It only leaves me feeling rather cold and bored. I'm not too concerned though. This was always the beach clip I was least interested in.

I've been walking with my friend and her dog all afternoon today and I was constantly hearing: Let me in the sound inside my head while we were walking. So it seems the song has left an impression, even though I don't listen to it very often and that is my least favourite part of it. I'm even thinking of writing a song of my own around that line. It has something interesting.

I bought it on itunes the day it was released and listened to it a dozen times or so.

I haven't listened to it since.

Boots is no comparison to The Fly.

IMO, they made a major mistake in thinking this was a good lead off single.....(or even a tune that should've made the cut for that matter)....

I haven't heard any buzz about this tune anywhere; radio, tv, the man on the street...

I really hope they release a GREAT 2nd single soon. I know it won't happen before March. They better give up this childish wanna be cool shit and just put out a great song.

:tongue::happy::love:

Hmmm... voted and forgot to post.

It hasn't grown on me cause if it grows much more it would turn into my fav song. And that's Elevation. Great tune, still deserves the 10 (actually, 9.75) I gave it on the other thread and definitely U2's best lead single.

IMO.

I like the song, but when you really look at it, it's all arrangement. I can't think of another U2 song that sounds so cut/pasted. There are really only two parts - the heavy riff and the surfish/easternish chorus.

So they just arrange it around like crazy - drop the guitar out for the verses, break it down to the Zep drums toward the end, strip it to the guitar only. But in essence, it's still that riff, which admittedly is a pretty good one. To my ears, it seems like it could use a proper bridge which moves away from that riff. Or an outro that changes it up a bit musically without just being tricky with the arrangement and production.

I have really tried to like it but can't help being disappointed. I love almost all of U2's catalog, but this one just isn't doing it for me. Based on the band's desire to do something great and experimental, I had high expectations. Here are my thoughts after a few days:

The major positive is the rhythm section. Forget about Edge being on fire, Adam and Larry really bring it on this track. The bass is excellent throughout and the percussion during the verses is really interesting.

Edge has a great riff with a cool guitar sound. However, the riff is repetitious and overdone. The guitar riff drowns out the percussion most of the time. Sounds terrible. Also, what is with that guitar outro after the first chorus (from 1:18 to 1:24)? It's just sad.

Regarding the vocals, I doesn't bother me one bit that the vocal melody resembles Wild Wild West and Pump It Up. It happens all the time. Everything sounds like something else at this point. The major problem is that there is no hook at all. The verse vocals are rapid-fire and difficult to make out unless you listen really closely. Even after deciphering them, they really aren't that interesting. While some people didn't like the idea of U2 singing about "Sexy Boots," I thought it was great. Unfortunately, it's a part of the song that doesn't bring much to the table.

My final thought about the vocals is that they sound too "Bono." One of the things that made "The Fly" (and most of their 90s material) so successful is that it didn't sound like Bono. If the band wants to go a different direction, altering the vocals is an effective expression of that intention.

The biggest problems with the song involve the production. It sounds pasted together, compressed, and lifeless. With the time and resources available to the band, it is remarkable that they can put together material that sounds so bland. In the past, they have been exceptional at constructing tracks that are vibrant with imagery and atmosphere. I listen to Boots and the only imagery I get is an engineer sitting at a computer clicking around Protools. It's just so sterile.

Overall, I am amazed how shockingly amateurish the song sounds. It encouraged me to go back and listen to songs off of Zooropa and Pop for comparison. I can't help put determine that Boots pales in comparison to songs like Discotheque, Lemon, and even Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car and Do You Feel Loved. I still have high hopes for the rest of the album, but Boots is not a good start.

You have to wonder why the album was delayed.Did they realise it was poor?.Make no mistake about it,GOYB is a very very poor U2 song.

Can i just ask, why is it that the people who dont like it and have negative opinions, why is it you think your opinion is the most valid?.

You have to wonder why the album was delayed.Did they realise it was poor?.Make no mistake about it,GOYB is a very very poor U2 song.

Again so the people who voted that they liked it on the other thread are all wrong? what makes your opinion more valid than anyone elses?.

Back
Top Bottom