You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
sheep.jpg

fucking genius :up:

"Fans indulged by U2 ahead of Brit Awards" - Wednesday January 28 2009

It's the sweetest day for U2 fans as Bono, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton take time out to sign autographs for them in Dublin.

The band members were at their city recording studios to rehearse ahead of their Brit Awards performance on February 18.

Guitarist The Edge had left the session earlier on. The band's latest album, No Line on the Horizon, will be released this spring.

Fans indulged by U2 ahead of Brit Awards - Around Town, Entertainment - Herald.ie

GOYB Versus All My Life

U2 put aside Rubin's material to go with Lanois/Eno. So my question is which do you think is a better song GOYB or All My Life? Now, I know we could be comparing the worst Eno/Lanois song to the best Rubin song, or it could be the exact other way around. But GOYB is the only thing we've got from the new album so far and All My Life seemed to be the most complete, single worthy Rubin song.

I got to give it to All My Life. GOYB has a lot going on. I like the guitars and drums, and it has a lot of changes. But to me it is ultimately uninspiring. It just doesn't have that magic. Part of it is the lyrics. I don't like my rock band singing about sexy boots (regardless of what they represent symbolically), but it's more than that...All My Life has a great hook, great guitar solo, and it builds. I think it's a great song.

What do you think?

all my life has potential but I think u2 probably deemed it "to safe"...too much like "walk on"

yeah. i remember loving "All My Life" at first. but then when i thought about it more, it just seemed to be going down the same old road. i wanted something different, and U2 delivered with GOYB. also, "All My Life" is too Bon Jovi.

Can you copy and paste what it says? i cant get to it due to being in work :(
U2: 'Get On Your Boots'
Released on Monday, February 16 2009

By Alex Fletcher, Entertainment Reporter

"I don't wanna talk about wars between nations," sings Bono on U2's comeback single, proving if nothing else the Irishman still has a sense of humour. In fact, 'Get On Your Boots' finds the rock giants in surprisingly light-hearted mood. There's a dark underbelly to the lyrics ("Rockets hit the funfair, Satan loves a bomb scare"), but Bono's cries of "sexy boots" and Edge's buzzing riffs have a refreshing innocence lacking from recent U2 records.

The band's well-thumbed rhyming dictionary is put to the test here ("dark dream", "ice cream", "submarine", "gasoline") and the track's laid-back funk bears more than a passing resemblance to Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues', but it still stands up favourably in comparison to the mechanical stadium rock of 2004's Atomic Bomb disc. While the Eno-produced No Line On The Horizon promises to be a more serious affair - track titles include 'Cedars Of Lebanon' and 'Moment of Surrender' - for the time being it's great to hear U2 having fun again.

I really liked it first listen. 5 years ago I would have been SO excited days in advance. I remember getting the spanish radio version of 'Vertigo' and listening to it endlessly I even cut up the MP3 to remove the intro and copied and pasted the last choruses and made a fade out so I didn't have to have any of the DJ talking over it and listened to that for WEEKS. With this song I don't listen to it everyday and thank god, otherwise I'd get really tired of it like every other band I saturate rather stupidly ;)

anyway as for the song...the lyrics are pretty bad!! :eek: "Lyrically weak, but the music's the thing." (ANYONE WANT TO NAME THE SONG I JUST QUOTED?! I'M FUCKING BORED!!!) There's some fucking great music going on there though. Excellent guitars and a great rhythm section from Clayton and Mullen. Live it'll kick ass I'm sure. Really REALLY excited for the new album now though especially hearing how mixed it is musically.

that said I'm a bit pissed off you Americans can download it on iTunes before the rest of us! would quite like a proper quality MP3 of it. I've still got my Chris Moyles version with all the 'RADIO ONE!!!'s over it...and him even going 'I like doing that to annoy people recording off the radio...just wait til it comes out and buy it!' I WOULD but it's a fucking age!! I think in this day in age surely a band as big as U2 should get it out on the radio then have it out [worldwide not just US iTunes] like the next week.

A little perspective on what people think outside this forum

Bottom Singles of All-time - Rate Your Music

Boots is currently rated as the 159th WORST single of all time

Pop fans hate it, internet elitists hate it, great news :hyper:

Rate Your Music is a horrible website full of people who hate U2 and post things like "new south park on tonite at 10" while giving Bomb a .5 star rating. I'm not kidding. Look at the reviews for bomb. Not everyone on there is stupid but the level of I HATE U2 UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE is pretty out of control.

No Line on the Horizon ALREADY has 61 ratings and a 1.82/5 rating. How can U2 win on that site when idiots who hate U2 and haven't heard the album log on before it's even been released and trash its rating?

This site is not representative of "what everyone else thinks"

I've had a chance to hear GOYB numerous times (even on the radio!), and the weird thing is this: Whenever I start to replay it in my head, it morphs into Billy Boola. :lol:
Every single time.

Imagine if the cd was released the same day as the digital download and the video followed a few days later. My oh my

U2: 'Get On Your Boots'
Released on Monday, February 16 2009

By Alex Fletcher, Entertainment Reporter

"I don't wanna talk about wars between nations," sings Bono on U2's comeback single, proving if nothing else the Irishman still has a sense of humour. In fact, 'Get On Your Boots' finds the rock giants in surprisingly light-hearted mood. There's a dark underbelly to the lyrics ("Rockets hit the funfair, Satan loves a bomb scare"), but Bono's cries of "sexy boots" and Edge's buzzing riffs have a refreshing innocence lacking from recent U2 records.

The band's well-thumbed rhyming dictionary is put to the test here ("dark dream", "ice cream", "submarine", "gasoline") and the track's laid-back funk bears more than a passing resemblance to Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues', but it still stands up favourably in comparison to the mechanical stadium rock of 2004's Atomic Bomb disc. While the Eno-produced No Line On The Horizon promises to be a more serious affair - track titles include 'Cedars Of Lebanon' and 'Moment of Surrender' - for the time being it's great to hear U2 having fun again.

That's a well-written review :up:

Back
Top Bottom