You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
Well, I agree with you there; no one should badger you to explain in detail why you don't like the song. I don't feel I need to explain the things I like about it either.

So, please, we all know now in detail why you don't like the song. No need to explain any further, it's clear!

I guess I block out the posts of people forcing anyone to explain why they think the song sucks, because I haven't noticed it. :shrug:

trust me, there are plenty.:wink:

Why is it that, when someone doesnt like the song, they always have to say how long they have been a fan etc etc etc?, why? does that make your opinion more valid than someone who does like the song?,

and also why do we always have to be called blind sheep, and have snide little comments like "well you like everything U2 does, but the song isnt good"?, and then they want things changed just because they dont like it for gods sake, i know if i didnt like something i wouldnt be demanding change saying "Oh they should do this, they should release a another single because i dont like it", utter selfish.

No one's opinion is valid then anyone elses, I agree with that. Blind sheep, i'm sorry that might have been a reply from someone else's post. All I am saying is that I have been here for a long time, (another name, no posts to do with U2) and I always notice you love everything they do, even sometimes it seems to me before you here a new song. That to me is something delusional, like you want something to be so great and even if a lot of people say it is not, you don't care. That's not right to me IMO. Once again if you have your reasons for loving this song like maybe you love Streets or other great songs from U2 then good for you! But I just don't buy it.

GOYB myths

1) GOYB is experimental. After Zooropa, I would thought everyone would know what an "experimental" track from U2 would sound like. Weird arrangements, radical vocal styles, instruments that are so heavily processed they're unrecognizable. GOYB had none of these elements. It's a straightforward high tempo song with clearly defined verses and choruses and coda. Bono's singing "you don't know!" over the top of the chorus is reminiscent of any R&B vocalists singing over a backing track--it's still the chorus of the song with a bit of vocal flair. The "Let me in the sound" part is the coda.
Experimental doesn't mean it has to sound like Zooropa or Kid A, by definition "experimental"(actually a term I think is overused) just means it's something the band has never tried before, if this was a straight forward R&B song it would be experimental becuase the band had never tried it before...

This track does have some aspects that are new to U2...

3) GOYB is innovative. Some people keep saying it's innovative because U2 has never done it before. Well, innovation happens when NO ONE has done it before. Besides, it's been documented by many people what the similarities between GOYB and Vertigo are. I won't do it again here.

The similaries between GOYB and Vertigo are very little. I'm actually shocked that some of the people making these comparisons in here say they are in the music industry...

4) Larry's drumming is out of this world. While I applaud the fact that Larry is finally playing like a true rock star (less tambourine/more toms), his drumming is pretty standard and nothing spectacular. Probably the best high-tempo songs he's ever played were Lemon and Ultraviolet and almost the entire POP CD.
I haven't heard out of this world, I'm sure a few have said, but it's well above what he's been giving us recently. I find it to be very solid.

5) Edge's guitar playing is out of this world. Uhhh, no it ain't. The fact that he plays the main riff over and over without even so much as a tonal change suggests that the Edge is undeserving of his status of one of the best guitarists in rock history. The guitar distortion can be easily reproduced by any band. The riffing is nothing mindblowing. Simply put, the Edge is the Edge, minus sonic innovations of the past.
Once again, where did you hear this "out of this world" bit? This is U2, we've always expected minimal, if you're looling for anything else you've been listening to the wrong band for years. What cracks me up are folks like you complaining about this riff, when there are songs like HMTMKMKM that even simpler more repetitive riffs that get praised in here...

6) Bono's voice is.... just Bono's voice. Everyone has differing opinions on how it sounds so I'll leave it alone.
It's not exactly a song where you are going to hear any great vocal moments, no matter who recorded the song. But Bono sounds good, and suprisingly very clean.

All I am saying is that I have been here for a long time, (another name, no posts to do with U2)

So let me get this straight. You use one name to post about things other than U2 and another name to post about U2? Wow, that's weird to me.

People are badgering the naysayers into explaining in detail why they don't like the song. I just presented my own reasoning and you blast me anyway? You guys need to coordinate your message.

the only time i asked you to go in detail was when we were discussing lyrics, and you couldn't tell me why the lyrics to "Ultraviolet" were any better than "GOYB". then you backed out of the conversation because you had no idea what you were talking about.

So let me get this straight. You use one name to post about things other than U2 and another name to post about U2? Wow, that's weird to me.

No I posted a few years ago right after 9/11 about the problems in a different forum.

The similaries between GOYB and Vertigo are very little. I'm actually shocked that some of the people making these comparisons in here say they are in the music industry...

This I agree upon. I don't know what these people are hearing but as far as I am concerned the only similarirty between Vertigo and Boots is that they are the first single. I just hope it won't be similar in being the first single of a crap album. Glad to have mentioned that album again by the way. Will listen to it tonight to hear how it has aged. :)

seriously though. What kind of a businessplan is that? Normally you put out one of the best songs of the records in order for people to get interested. Can you imagine Boots being 1 of the 3 best songs of the record? :|

Yes :wink:

Man, I :heart: that song.

This I agree upon. I don't know what these people are hearing but as far as I am concerned the only similarirty between Vertigo and Boots is that they are the first single. I just hope it won't be similar in being the first single of a crap album. Glad to have mentioned that album again by the way. Will listen to it tonight to hear how it has aged. :)

I gotta disagree with you and BonoVoxSuperstar, do you think this has nothing to do with Vertigo? What about Elevation? Fast Cars?

Ok, for the 1000th time, here's why:

Because the arrangement of the tune, with a hard rock riff and the rap/sing vocals on the verses, REMINDS some of us of Vertigo. The fact that they were both lead off singles also contributes.

However, I will say it sure reminds less of vertigo now and alot more of Wild Wild West and Pump It Up.

I gotta disagree with you and BonoVoxSuperstar, do you think this has nothing to do with Vertigo? What about Elevation? Fast Cars?

I've been saying this since day one; don't waste your breath; BVS and Kuef whatever are gonna grind this until we're all dead and buried.

fast cars? yes. problem is IMO that fast cars is a better song than Boots. Fast cars wasn't even on the regular album. You know what I think about the record. This is whats scaring me.

No one's opinion is valid then anyone elses, I agree with that. Blind sheep, i'm sorry that might have been a reply from someone else's post. All I am saying is that I have been here for a long time, (another name, no posts to do with U2) and I always notice you love everything they do, even sometimes it seems to me before you here a new song. That to me is something delusional, like you want something to be so great and even if a lot of people say it is not, you don't care. That's not right to me IMO. Once again if you have your reasons for loving this song like maybe you love Streets or other great songs from U2 then good for you! But I just don't buy it.

What you dont belive i like the song :|what a strange thing to say.

Because the arrangement of the tune, with a hard rock riff and the rap/sing vocals on the verses, REMINDS some of us of Vertigo. The fact that they were both lead off singles also contributes.

However, I will say it sure reminds less of vertigo now and alot more of Wild Wild West and Pump It Up.

don't say they "stole" the idea. :)

I had to laugh about the hard rock riff though. It is not a riff, let alone hard rock. okay, a bad riff but no hard rock :wink:

don't say they "stole" the idea. :)

I had to laugh about the hard rock riff though. It is not a riff, let alone hard rock. okay, a bad riff but no hard rock :wink:

gee, I guess it must be jazz then.:huh:

If you like GOYB or any song that's great ! :wave: by the way i'm listening to Streets from Superbowl ! :applaud:Everything is good. :up:

talk about a vocal off day :|
I remember watching it. During MLK I tried to convince my (ex) girlfriend that Bono was really sick that day so he wasnt able to sing.:huh:

Maybe a little Fast Cars, but no Vertigo and especially not Elevation...

Where do YOU hear Vertigo or Elevation?

Vertigo, the drums. Especially in the beginning. Fairly similar.

Elevation, I think it's being played on the same guitar.

And I assume people think the distortion is obviously the same too.

Meh it's different to me, I hear the Fast Cars vibe and the drums of Vertigo, but nothing more.

fast cars? yes. problem is IMO that fast cars is a better song than Boots. Fast cars wasn't even on the regular album. You know what I think about the record. This is whats scaring me.

I was so pumped for Fast Cars, I had all these thoughts in my head of what I thought it would be like, but unfortunatley it did not live up to my hopes. It was Bono's rap that killed it. I don't like the fast talking Bono :hyper:

I've been saying this since day one; don't waste your breath; BVS and Kuef whatever are gonna grind this until we're all dead and buried.

Being a lead off single shouldn't count for anything in comparing these songs, unless you are comparing intent or chart rankings or some crap like that...

But when it comes to sound, lead off single doesn't mean shit.

If it's just the "hard rock riff" and rap/sing vocals, well you could say the same for The Fly.

I'm glad you are finally slowly getting away from the Vertigo comparison.

I can understand the 'Pump it Up' 'WWW' comparison as far as verse delivery, but that's about it. They are all a short phrase quick delivery vocal approach.

Maybe a little Fast Cars, but no Vertigo and especially not Elevation...

Where do you hear Vertigo or Elevation?
I had no idea what to expect when I first heard the song, like the rest of us but when Bono starts singing fast that maybe remind me of both Vertigo and Elevation, I don't know why maybe. I honestly believe that they put this single out first because they new the success of Vertigo and they wanted to follow up on that. But Vertigo kicks this songs butt and I am not even a big fan of Vertigo. But wait till we hear the other songs. :drool:

Why because I don't have the same limited hearing and lazy approach to describing music that you do?

Ok, here's the deal:

WWW and PIU are the EXACT same melody in the verses.

Now go back to wanting to sound Bono and writing weepy acoustic tunes.

Back
Top Bottom