You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
Not a very good comback single at all i'm afraid. Very average. Everyone i know i love U2 and they have all said the same. I just hope the albums better. KOL last 2 singles and are far better than GOYB.
I am really looking forward to Simple Minds new album & single. I have heard it's gonna surprise a few people.

Wow thanks your totally right, i have now changed my mind!!!, i dont like GOYB at all :huh:

I am answering the question that is posed on the thread. If they had to delay the album by 3 months and then bring out this 'comeback' single then it's not good at all. By the way i am a Man Utd fan as well.

GOYB is not a "comeback" single and it's a good single, at least it's different from usual U2 and certainly not what most people expected.

No matter what U2 would release, people will always find something to complain about.

I am answering the question that is posed on the thread. If they had to delay the album by 3 months and then bring out this 'comeback' single then it's not good at all. By the way i am a Man Utd fan as well.

Why isnt it good? because you dont like it?, as i keep saying what about the people that do?.

I totally agree with what you are saying. I have been a MASSIVE U2 fan for a long time, I have U2 tattoos for god sake! I was looking forard to the single for ages, my daughers were, my nephews were but we are all dissapointed by the outcome thats all. I just hope the albums better because i am a little nervous about it

Why isnt it good? because you dont like it?, as i keep saying what about the people that do?.

It's a horrible song, just cause you love everything U2, like so many people here doesn't mean it's a good song. What would it take for you for them to put out a new song from a new album and you would not like the first single released? Do you ever think about that? Lots of people don't like this song because 1. there's no hook, (I don't care for hooks if it's experimental but I don't consider this song experimental) 2. It's a combination of Fast Cars, Vertigo and even Elevation and lots of people thought those songs were not the best representive of U2 best. I could go on but the song sucks unfortunatley IMO. I think there are gonna be some awesome songs on the album so i'm not worried about this song. But you have to realize that not everyone is going to love everything U2 puts out.I especially hope U2 knows this, and puts out another single with video as their first video instead of GOYB.

well, I'm only a HUGE U2 fan and I love GOYB, my brother, my sister and most friends also really like the song

edit, and I have just one U2 tattoo ;)

Is it a hidden tatoo? :sexywink:

:lol:
no, it's on my arm, the ;) was for posters who feel the need to show of how "big" :rolleyes: fans they are so their opinion would seem more important.

for the record, you can name as any people as you want who don't like GOYB, but the number wont change my/our opinion, it's pointless,

also you're new here, believe me you wont find many blind sheep around here

:lol:
no, it's on my arm, the ;) was for posters who feel the need to show of how "big" :rolleyes: fans they are so their opinion would seem more important.

for the record, you can name as any people as you want who don't like GOYB, but the number wont change my/our opinion, it's pointless,

also you're new here, believe me you wont find many blind sheep around here

I'm not trying to put you down, and I am happy that many people like the new U2 single, but i'm not a blind sheep also. All I was saying is that I thought they would put out a better single that's all IMO. I understand that many like it but sometimes I wonder what the U2 guys are thinking of? Maybe they have a plan like put out a song for a bit so everyone knows about the song and then explode with a new song that goes with a new song and video and everybody loves it. Just a thought. What do you think? :sexywink:

GOYB myths

1) GOYB is experimental. After Zooropa, I would thought everyone would know what an "experimental" track from U2 would sound like. Weird arrangements, radical vocal styles, instruments that are so heavily processed they're unrecognizable. GOYB had none of these elements. It's a straightforward high tempo song with clearly defined verses and choruses and coda. Bono's singing "you don't know!" over the top of the chorus is reminiscent of any R&B vocalists singing over a backing track--it's still the chorus of the song with a bit of vocal flair. The "Let me in the sound" part is the coda.

2) Adam is as awesome as ever. I think beginning with ATYCLB, Adam started playing basslines that reflect the main guitar riffs. Before, he came up with basslines that were different from the Edge's riffs yet effective in anchoring the guitar melodies. This is a large part of U2's critical success. Listen to his basslines in WOWY and NYD and Mysterious Ways. Now, more and more, he seems content to just play whatever the Edge plays. It's as if he's forgotten his way around a chord, like he doesn't remember how to pick out roots and fifths anymore.

3) GOYB is innovative. Some people keep saying it's innovative because U2 has never done it before. Well, innovation happens when NO ONE has done it before. Besides, it's been documented by many people what the similarities between GOYB and Vertigo are. I won't do it again here.

4) Larry's drumming is out of this world. While I applaud the fact that Larry is finally playing like a true rock star (less tambourine/more toms), his drumming is pretty standard and nothing spectacular. Probably the best high-tempo songs he's ever played were Lemon and Ultraviolet and almost the entire POP CD.

5) Edge's guitar playing is out of this world. Uhhh, no it ain't. The fact that he plays the main riff over and over without even so much as a tonal change suggests that the Edge is undeserving of his status of one of the best guitarists in rock history. The guitar distortion can be easily reproduced by any band. The riffing is nothing mindblowing. Simply put, the Edge is the Edge, minus sonic innovations of the past.

6) Bono's voice is.... just Bono's voice. Everyone has differing opinions on how it sounds so I'll leave it alone.

Why is it that, when someone doesnt like the song, they always have to say how long they have been a fan etc etc etc?, why? does that make your opinion more valid than someone who does like the song?,

and also why do we always have to be called blind sheep, and have snide little comments like "well you like everything U2 does, but the song isnt good"?, and then they want things changed just because they dont like it for gods sake, i know if i didnt like something i wouldnt be demanding change saying "Oh they should do this, they should release a another single because i dont like it", utter selfish.

How can people still be saying its flopping in the US? what just because of itunes? the song is doing really well on US radio, just look at the thread in peeling of the dollar bills,

it is?.......i listened for several hours yesterday to several stations here in los angeles and didnt hear it once:huh:

I'm not trying to put you down, and I am happy that many people like the new U2 single, but i'm not a blind sheep also. All I was saying is that I thought they would put out a better single that's all IMO. I understand that many like it but sometimes I wonder what the U2 guys are thinking of? Maybe they have a plan like put out a song for a bit so everyone knows about the song and then explode with a new song that goes with a new song and video and everybody loves it. Just a thought. What do you think? :sexywink:

I think GOYB is out only for a week and 2 days and it's to early to (over)think and to worry :wave:
I'm just enjoying a good new U2 song now...

I happen to love the new single, however the thread invites people to comment on their feelings on the song, I welcome yours and I welcome you to Interference, hope you stick around!

Not a very good comback single at all i'm afraid. Very average. Everyone i know i love U2 and they have all said the same. I just hope the albums better. KOL last 2 singles and are far better than GOYB.
I am really looking forward to Simple Minds new album & single. I have heard it's gonna surprise a few people.

Jesus, it doesn't take much to upset a U2 fanatic eh?

Why is it that, when someone doesnt like the song, they always have to say how long they have been a fan etc etc etc?, why? does that make your opinion more valid than someone who does like the song?,

and also why do we always have to be called blind sheep, and have snide little comments like "well you like everything U2 does, but the song isnt good"?, and then they want things changed just because they dont like it for gods sake, i know if i didnt like something i wouldnt be demanding change saying "Oh they should do this, they should release a another single because i dont like it", utter selfish.

Eh....why does my jelly always get stuck in my peanut butter jar but not the other way around? A true mystery indeed. :shrug:

Not liking the song is more than fine....there are plenty of U2 songs that are widely acclaimed that I really can't stand that much. Thats fine....its personal preference.

But as you said, why do people have to berate others who "get the song"?
Especially when the proof doesn't match the claim:

From another thread on this site:

GOYB: USA Radio charts (from Mediabase) for the week of Jan. 19-Jan. 25:

Alternative: #8 (first week on chart) (this is a huge debut for a single on this chart)

Triple A (adult alternative): #1 (first week on chart) (It debuted at #1 in its first week!)

Hot AC (hot adult contemporary): #36 (first week on chart) (a decent debut for any song on this chart)

Active Rock: #34 (first week on chart) (a decent debut)

Rock: #8 (first week on chart) (a very strong debut)

I checked it on google and this seems correct.

So, if the "haters" are looking for proof that the song is a "flop" then they better look harder...because for a song with little to no advertisement to drum up the release, I'd say that its doing pretty well.

it is?.......i listened for several hours yesterday to several stations here in los angeles and didnt hear it once:huh:

"GOYB: USA Radio charts (from Mediabase) for the week of Jan. 19-Jan. 25:

Alternative: #8 (first week on chart) (this is a huge debut for a single on this chart)

Triple A (adult alternative): #1 (first week on chart) (It debuted at #1 in its first week!)

Hot AC (hot adult contemporary): #36 (first week on chart) (a decent debut for any song on this chart)

"

I happen to love the new single, however the thread invites people to comment on their feelings on the song, I welcome yours and I welcome you to Interference, hope you stick around!

:up:

Eh....why does my jelly always get stuck in my peanut butter jar but not the other way around? A true mystery indeed. :shrug:

Not liking the song is more than fine....there are plenty of U2 songs that are widely acclaimed that I really can't stand that much. Thats fine....its personal preference.

But as you said, why do people have to berate others who "get the song"?
Especially when the proof doesn't match the claim:

From another thread on this site:

GOYB: USA Radio charts (from Mediabase) for the week of Jan. 19-Jan. 25:

I checked it on google and this seems correct.

So, if the "haters" are looking for proof that the song is a "flop" then they better look harder...because for a song with little to no advertisement to drum up the release, I'd say that its doing pretty well.

good info. my inner blind sheep is bah'ing over this.

I don't listen to radio so I don't know if it is played or not. I've only heard it's played on alternative, not mainstream stations here, which I find interesting. I don't get why so many people here are complaining about the new u2 single possibly not being so successful on mainstream radio, because that's what many fans wanted. It's very contradictory, we want U2 to be more couragous and experimental and NOT mainstream, and then we complain if the new material isn't played on mainstream radio. Honestly, I don't understand. And I don't believe for a second that U2 have put out a song they think isn't any good for the first single, I'm sure they think the song is great, therefore it was released as lead single.

GOYB myths

1) GOYB is experimental. After Zooropa, I would thought everyone would know what an "experimental" track from U2 would sound like. Weird arrangements, radical vocal styles, instruments that are so heavily processed they're unrecognizable. GOYB had none of these elements. It's a straightforward high tempo song with clearly defined verses and choruses and coda. Bono's singing "you don't know!" over the top of the chorus is reminiscent of any R&B vocalists singing over a backing track--it's still the chorus of the song with a bit of vocal flair. The "Let me in the sound" part is the coda.

2) Adam is as awesome as ever. I think beginning with ATYCLB, Adam started playing basslines that reflect the main guitar riffs. Before, he came up with basslines that were different from the Edge's riffs yet effective in anchoring the guitar melodies. This is a large part of U2's critical success. Listen to his basslines in WOWY and NYD and Mysterious Ways. Now, more and more, he seems content to just play whatever the Edge plays. It's as if he's forgotten his way around a chord, like he doesn't remember how to pick out roots and fifths anymore.

3) GOYB is innovative. Some people keep saying it's innovative because U2 has never done it before. Well, innovation happens when NO ONE has done it before. Besides, it's been documented by many people what the similarities between GOYB and Vertigo are. I won't do it again here.

4) Larry's drumming is out of this world. While I applaud the fact that Larry is finally playing like a true rock star (less tambourine/more toms), his drumming is pretty standard and nothing spectacular. Probably the best high-tempo songs he's ever played were Lemon and Ultraviolet and almost the entire POP CD.

5) Edge's guitar playing is out of this world. Uhhh, no it ain't. The fact that he plays the main riff over and over without even so much as a tonal change suggests that the Edge is undeserving of his status of one of the best guitarists in rock history. The guitar distortion can be easily reproduced by any band. The riffing is nothing mindblowing. Simply put, the Edge is the Edge, minus sonic innovations of the past.

6) Bono's voice is.... just Bono's voice. Everyone has differing opinions on how it sounds so I'll leave it alone.

WTF? Let people who like the song simply like the song without trying to convince them how crap the song is, ok? I think we've heard enough of everyone's opinion by now. People who like the song aren't stupid, they just like it, you don't have to convince anyone of anything here by writing a novel with every new post you make. I think we've got your point by now.

I just think it's funny that the people who don't like song have to post these long tirades of why the song sucks. Don't like the song, fine, too bad, hopefully you'll like some of the songs from the album, it's not the end of the world, there's plenty of other music out there to listen too.

You're not going to convince anyone who likes the song to change their mind. It's not like I'm going to read these long critical posts and go :doh: OMG, I don't like the song anymore.

The poll is a bit misleading actually when I look at it. you could say that 75% love it or are learning to love it. Being the not so optimistic person :) I see it differently because I know a lot of people who are in the growing fase but still don't think it is a very good song. When you look at it in this way this means that 68% doesnt like it that much or really dont like it..Think about it:68% doesn't like it or is still not overimpressed. That is a bit much. Not that I care what people think of the song. I don't change muy opinion because of that but I feel this is saying something. one other thing: People who are syaing that they put out a single that isn;t that good in roder to blow people away with the record need to see a doctor :)

seriously though. What kind of a businessplan is that? Normally you put out one of the best songs of the records in order for people to get interested. Can you imagine Boots being 1 of the 3 best songs of the record? :|

This year is going to rule when it commes to Interfeence that's for sure :wink:

GOYB myths

1. The song is experimental when compared to their last two albums. i haven't seen anyone here saying that this song is the new "Lemon" or "Numb".

2. Even though he's playing his part identical to the main guitar riffs, it's one of the better riffs he's played.

3. If anything, your point in #3 proves that the word "innovative" is probably the most incorrect and overused word when it comes to describing music.

4. I wouldn't say that Larry's drumming is "out of this world" either. i think it's good, but nothing Larry has ever done or will ever do will blow me away. though, i'm a guitar player, so i'm biased. :wink:

5. Once again, i don't think Edge's guitar playing is "out of this world" either, but i also haven't seen anyone claiming that this is his best work. it seems like you're making this myth up. it is refreshing though to hear Edge trying new sounds and effects on this song, even if the changes are subtle.

6. I'm indifferent on this one too. it's hard to get a gauge on his voice because he's not really challenged on this song. from what i've heard on the beach clips though, it does seem like his voice is in very good shape.

i'm sure you won't be able to respond because i know you're sooooo busy. ;)

WTF? Let people who like the song simply like the song without trying to convince them how crap the song is, ok? I think we've heard enough of everyone's opinion by now. People who like the song aren't stupid, they just like it, you don't have to convince anyone of anything here by writing a novel with every new post you make. I think we've got your point by now.

People are badgering the naysayers into explaining in detail why they don't like the song. I just presented my own reasoning and you blast me anyway? You guys need to coordinate your message.

I just think it's funny that the people who don't like song have to post these long tirades of why the song sucks. Don't like the song, fine, too bad, hopefully you'll like some of the songs from the album, it's not the end of the world, there's plenty of other music out there to listen too.

You're not going to convince anyone who likes the song to change their mind. It's not like I'm going to read these long critical posts and go :doh: OMG, I don't like the song anymore.

Funny, when you say it sucks you have to explain yourself but when you do people complain you post too long pieces. When I see people writing stuff like:"the guitarpart is fantastic". I don't know. Opinions are opinions but BS is BS. THAT is not a great guitarriff and YES it is a fact.period.

Agree about not being the end of the world though and I hope the album will surprise me. I am still a bit "afraid" after the first single and it is getting worse. Wait and see I suppose

People are badgering the naysayers into explaining in detail why they don't like the song. I just presented my own reasoning and you blast me anyway? You guys need to coordinate your message.

Well, I agree with you there; no one should badger you to explain in detail why you don't like the song. I don't feel I need to explain the things I like about it either.

So, please, we all know now in detail why you don't like the song. No need to explain any further, it's clear!

Funny, when you say it sucks you have to explain yourself but when you do people complain you post too long pieces. When I see people writing stuff like:"the guitarpart is fantastic". I don't know. Opinions are opinions but BS is BS. THAT is not a great guitarriff and YES it is a fact.period.

Agree about not being the end of the world though and I hope the album will surprise me. I am still a bit "afraid" after the first single and it is getting worse. Wait and see I suppose

I guess I block out the posts of people forcing anyone to explain why they think the song sucks, because I haven't noticed it. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom