You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
They haven’t done a thing yet, promotion wise, really. They’ve done a couple of things with a couple of dinosaur magazines that create no hype in 2009, but that’s it. The real hype hasn’t begun yet. That they just kinda let Boots sneak out there must have been deliberate. Either they thought it was better/bigger than it is, could create noise on it’s own, or this really isn’t an album with any killer singles, Boots is as close as they get and they know it’s not very strong. So, instead of the usual 50% single, 50% album release promo/hype kick off, they’re going to put everything into just the album release?

I think they’d be very disappointed if they’d put a lot into Boots and it was tanking, but they haven’t. They must know it’s just not either a big or great song. That kinda excites me. If they put all the hype in the world behind this song, as they did Vertigo, it would definitely be a sign that flying in on the back of this song is the best commercial chance the album has. That it clearly isn’t the case is a great sign. It’s either not ‘the’ song, or the album just doesn’t have one. Either way, that’s great.

Tank Boots! Tank!

Excellent thoughts.

I like GOYB quite a bit, but it's obviously not a surefire smash hit; they had to know that. On the other hand, I think a blowaway video matched with a revived, intense marketing campaign next week could resurrect the song. There is a chance that the whole "Sexy Boots" thing catches on and becomes a 15 minute pop culture fetish over here in the US. These things are tough to predict; I think a lot rides on that video for GOYB.

But I bet you're right. Either they've got one in their back pocket or they really don't care that much this time. The lack of ridiculous hype for GOYB is plain and simple a good sign.

Excellent thoughts.

I like GOYB quite a bit, but it's obviously not a surefire smash hit; they had to know that. On the other hand, I think a blowaway video matched with a revived, intense marketing campaign next week could resurrect the song. There is a chance that the whole "Sexy Boots" thing catches on and becomes a 15 minute pop culture fetish over here in the US. These things are tough to predict; I think a lot rides on that video for GOYB.

But I bet you're right. Either they've got one in their back pocket or they really don't care that much this time. The lack of ridiculous hype for GOYB is plain and simple a good sign.
They're performing it live at the Brits, they're bound to get a bounce from that - although a British awards ceremony, thanks to the darling internet it should be flying around the world in minutes.

Any other upcoming TV performances?

I think the people who think the song is "tanking" need to take a trip to peeling of the dollar bills, the song is doing better than people think on US radio, and is currently number 6 on the UK airplay charts,

I think the people who think the song is "tanking" need to take a trip to peeling of the dollar bills, the song is doing better than people think on US radio, and is currently number 6 on the UK airplay charts,

:up: and everyone can listen to the song for free on U2.com, youtube, LastFM, MySpace... probably on other sites too, but those are the few that I know and use.
So iTunes chart means nothing with GOYB

still loving it.

Really can't wait for this bloody album to come out so I can find out how it fits with the other tracks - really looking forward to my first listen of the whole album.

Anyone listened with earphones reversed? Quite interesting.

They're performing it live at the Brits, they're bound to get a bounce from that - although a British awards ceremony, thanks to the darling internet it should be flying around the world in minutes.

Any other upcoming TV performances?

i think 21 february in Berlin at "Echos" ....

They haven’t done a thing yet, promotion wise, really. They’ve done a couple of things with a couple of dinosaur magazines that create no hype in 2009, but that’s it. The real hype hasn’t begun yet. That they just kinda let Boots sneak out there must have been deliberate. Either they thought it was better/bigger than it is, could create noise on it’s own, or this really isn’t an album with any killer singles, Boots is as close as they get and they know it’s not very strong. So, instead of the usual 50% single, 50% album release promo/hype kick off, they’re going to put everything into just the album release?

I think they’d be very disappointed if they’d put a lot into Boots and it was tanking, but they haven’t. They must know it’s just not either a big or great song. That kinda excites me. If they put all the hype in the world behind this song, as they did Vertigo, it would definitely be a sign that flying in on the back of this song is the best commercial chance the album has. That it clearly isn’t the case is a great sign. It’s either not ‘the’ song, or the album just doesn’t have one. Either way, that’s great.

Tank Boots! Tank!

I find that all very hard to believe.

I agree the promotion hasn't started yet, but disagree they don't care about Boots. If you're U2 you don't wait 4 and 1/2 years in between albums and then release a throwaway tune as the first single and not promote it. McGuiness and Larry would have a heart attack.

What IS actually going on with them, I have no idea.

I agree the promotion hasn't started yet, but disagree they don't care about Boots. If you're U2 you don't wait 4 and 1/2 years in between albums and then release a throwaway tune as the first single and not promote it. McGuiness and Larry would have a heart attack.

I don't think Earnie meant it was a throwaway tune, he's just saying there are no obvious singles and maybe this means it's better as a whole rather than individual songs...

I actually think they might let the music do the talking this time round - when the album comes out good and proper and a couple of more singles are released I think the momentum will begin to build up to the tour.

Who knows to be honest though?

1) 4 years 3 months and 8 days :wave:

2) GOYB is out just for a week. It seems quiet compared to Vertigo because there's no iPod (or iTunes, I don't remember) commercial this time.

3) there's no need to promote the song as much as Vertigo or Beautiful Day, because it's not up for a Grammy (this year)

I'd love to be able to say I can't get enough of it, but each time it comes up on my iTunes I keep inadvertently skipping it. :huh: I've even starting to doubt the rest of the album but hopefully the pessimist in me will be proved wrong.

I'd love to be able to say I can't get enough of it, but each time it comes up on my iTunes I keep inadvertently skipping it. :huh: I've even starting to doubt the rest of the album but hopefully the pessimist in me will be proved wrong.

I've found in the last few days the annoying parts of the song just circulate in my head after I listen to it:

1. I hear Edge's high pitched "get on your boots" and I just think of cheesy '80's music.

2. I hear "let me in the sound, sound, sound" over and over.

3. And then there is that guitar riff.

What I'm really worried about is the lack of legitimate noise from neutral media outlets. The only positive stuff I read is from mouthpieces at Hot Press. I really wonder if all the delays really point to the fact they just could not come up with really good material and put out as long as they could before they had to release something.

That actually makes sense to me.

That makes absolutely no sense to me. Surely (please God surely) a Grammy does not mean that much to them. It's not 1985.

When did they announce they were playing it for the first time last Monday? Was it only a few days before? Did they announce any later release dates or anything before then?

What I’m getting at: Did those leaks that started to occur perhaps bring the songs release forward, ahead of any/all media and promotion plans (including the video)? Get it out there, get it on iTunes, get at least some people paying for it now that a leak is almost inevitable.

You don't think they care about winning grammys and being at the tip of everyone's tongue?
What else do they care about at this point? Money? They couldn't spend all they have in this lifetime.
No, I think they care alot about grammys. In goes hand in hand with "being relevant" according to Bono.
Not that I think it's relevant.

And if 2009 is to be "their year," they've got to either get this single off the ground or release at least two surefire winners.

And if 2009 is to be "their year," they've got to either get this single off the ground or release at least two surefire winners.

Agreed. As much as i love this song its not going to clench the Year 2009 for them.

You don't think they care about winning grammys and being at the tip of everyone's tongue?
What else do they care about at this point? Money? They couldn't spend all they have in this lifetime.
No, I think they care alot about grammys. In goes hand in hand with "being relevant" according to Bono.
Not that I think it's relevant.

He's off base if he thinks the Grammy's create any kind of critical relevance anymore, and I believe (but might be wrong) that Grammy's of late have been proven to provide nowhere near the sales bump of the past, if any. If all they want is the song on everyones lips, they'd book another iPod ad. Instantly achieve it. That way, they don't have to suffer the pain of losing out to the Pussycat Dolls, or however far it is that the Grammys will slide this year.

ok, cool; then they must be all about the music at this point.

No, they're not. The Grammys are often a (big) part of a larger picture for them, but I doubt they singularly determine that much. What you were suggesting was that they weren't bothering to promote Boots, simply because it was too late for it to qualify for a Grammy. That they care about awards is obvious, that they care that much is ridiculous.

as someone else said.....i find it hard to believe that the band doesnt care how the single does. that's bullshit. for them to have a song that nobody really cares about after all this time away from the public has got to be irritating. you know they are still going to promote the hell out of this song in the next two months. they'll probably be on saturday night live and letterman, etc. by the way......its #99 on itunes and dropping like the titanic. would love to be a fly on the wall in a dublin pub as bono and larry start arguing about the lack of a hit single.

So when would GOYB become an official flop?

I would think about 2 weeks from today; that gives the video a week and a half to breathe. 2 weeks from now, the dust will settle and U2 will be able to figure out just what/how much they need to do to move the kind of numbers they want.

Give GOYB a month, if the album has good sales then the single did its job fine imo.

i heard the song like 1000 times after it came out...i just was in south america on vacation and left my iphone in the states so i didnt listen to it once. that helped...as much as i love it, was fearing overkill.

its still amazing...really catchy (especially the chorus) and has pop appeal but is just great rock n roll to me with some new things going on. in the end, amazing bass, drums, and guitar.

How can people still be saying its flopping in the US? what just because of itunes? the song is doing really well on US radio, just look at the thread in peeling of the dollar bills,

Not a very good comback single at all i'm afraid. Very average. Everyone i know i love U2 and they have all said the same. I just hope the albums better. KOL last 2 singles and are far better than GOYB.
I am really looking forward to Simple Minds new album & single. I have heard it's gonna surprise a few people.

Back
Top Bottom