You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:57 PM
You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

Continue here.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Finally! I thought the last thread would never die lol. Thanks for making a new one!

Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

That thread was starting to become unbearable...this one will head that same direction in a few posts.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:57 AM
It's still a terrible song.

At least the live version sounds a bit better by virtue of not possessing the overproduced studio sheen. Not that I'm sure Edge is particularly happy with how they're playing it yet. And I'm still mystified why on earth they chose this copy-and-paste clunker as the lead single. They were clearly more ready to play The Blackout live, that's for sure!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:57 PM
U2 produced by Four Tet.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
U2 produced by Four Tet.
Four Tet is not that bad.

YATBTAM may be a "better" choice for 1st single regarding radio support (compared to Miracle) .. but they cannot really do much with this song in a live setting.

Edge singing his verse is the best thing about this ....song
Old 09-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Refugee

Kind of frustrating to hear this song, for I do enjoy the verses a lot. They just sound natural to me, and live in that that sunny, California pop-land. I imagine they're great to blast while driving the west coast. However, that chorus is so Bruno Marsy, I just can't. Sure, it's catchy, but so what? Catchy does not necessarily equal good. I can think of an infinite # of "catchy" songs I can't stand.

Something I've noticed about U2's singles recently is that often there are too many parts. Many of their classics don't stray too far (if at all) from the main groove. NYD, SBS, Pride, Streets (after the intro), ISHFWILF, Desire, AIWIY, Stay, HMTMKMKM,...even the more subtly complex tunes like WOWY, One, effortlessly build onto the main structure; the center holds. The occasional different sounding/chord changing middle 8's: Mysterious Ways, IWF, Angel of Harlem, even BD, they all sound as if the song organically grew to that moment. Look at Lemon, a song with multiple parts, that works because of the consistent strong rhythmic backbone.

While we all go on and on about how U2 should experiment and push themselves, I think maybe they'd benefit more from being less ambitious, form reining it in. I'm just talking about song structure. Get the essence of the song first, and then after you can Eno the fuck out of the arrangement.

Songs like YTBTAM, The Miracle, IGCIIDGCT, WITS - It's like I just pick and choose the parts I like, as if it's some kind of song buffet. I don't want little snacks to nibble on. I want a meal.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Refugee

Was at the show last night, very fun to hear it live. Energy was way better and I thought it sounded pretty good. Only issue was Larry's drumming into the big chorus... He kind of just stops and then switched to the chorus beat. Needs to have a Streets like explosion.

Also thought it came off about as well as a "new song" could played live. WAY better than Little Things that is. Better slot in the set, better energy, and the crowd response afterwards was solid enough.

Still a pretty straightforward pop tune that won't become a classic, but it has grown on me after having seen it live.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
Refugee

I was in Indy last night and I really thought it went over well. I loved it
Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Aw end of an era. RIP last thread.

Still absolutely love this song.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post
Was at the show last night, very fun to hear it live. Energy was way better and I thought it sounded pretty good. Only issue was Larry's drumming into the big chorus... He kind of just stops and then switched to the chorus beat. Needs to have a Streets like explosion.

Also thought it came off about as well as a "new song" could played live. WAY better than Little Things that is. Better slot in the set, better energy, and the crowd response afterwards was solid enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INSTCUWSUMVC View Post
I was in Indy last night and I really thought it went over well. I loved it
Good to hear, guys.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Well this sucks. Why did you guys start a new thread?

The old one isn't locked and we must have been setting some kind of record. And you also basically gave the thread the same name, so it's impossible to tell which is the new one in the "recent threads." You've sewn chaos and confusion.

Lame. And the song still sucks. All the new threads in the world can't change that.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

At least the live version sounds a bit better by virtue of not possessing the overproduced studio sheen. Not that I'm sure Edge is particularly happy with how they're playing it yet. And I'm still mystified why on earth they chose this copy-and-paste clunker as the lead single. They were clearly more ready to play The Blackout live, that's for sure!
Ax\Nick...

It's not a 'terrible' song...it's a very catchy, sugary, pop-tune, but it's not terrible...

U2 might be reaching a bit here, but the song is miles better than "The Miracle"...and I like that song...
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
War Child

Don't worry...before the album comes out, The Edge will change The Best Thing completely. They might even replace it with the original, slower version on the album, who knows. Or maybe the Polka mix of it.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Well this sucks. Why did you guys start a new thread?

The old one isn't locked and we must have been setting some kind of record. And you also basically gave the thread the same name, so it's impossible to tell which is the new one in the "recent threads." You've sewn chaos and confusion.

Lame. And the song still sucks. All the new threads in the world can't change that.

Ugh, it's sad, but I agree so much.

At least I've had Matt Berninger mumbling about anonymous castrati to keep me satisfied on the new music front this weekend.

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2