You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys. That was AWFUL. It was like a drunk uncle hijacking a wedding band. I lean toward being an apologist and that was pretty embarrassing.

The single has flopped basically which is a real shame. I'm hoping rumours of a second single before the album release are true and might make a mark but I'm not holding my breath. Feel sad.

I couldn't make it through either. I skipped ahead to see if it picked up but not really. The only "highlight" is hearing Edge sing with little music behind him. He sounded great, but this performance belongs in a tiny club, not near the end of a fucking stadium set.

Go watch Angel Of Harlem and Stay from ZooTV Sidney to see how it's done.

It was awkward to say the least. I can't stress how high the energy was after Vertigo, and how low it got by the first chorus of TBT.

The band played it so soft as well which didn't help, as you could barely even hear the band. Bono sang loudly for the last verse which did get a little spark

Just bummed didn't get to hear full band electric version.

2018 it is. Edge wants to re-record the songs acoustically. And Bono wants to add CHA CHA CHA to end every song.

Concert was great tho. They just breezed through the songs. They were really on form.

It's a good song but I don't care for it in acoustic version. I prefer the single version. In general, I am not crazy about U2 unplugged...I feel that acoustic EBW was not as good as EBW.

Actually much prefer the verse acoustically. Thought it sounded really nice. Lower-voiced Bono rarely fails to work for me. Then that chorus again. I almost forgot how bad that chorus is. And this stripped down performance more than ever before exposes the failure of that verse-chorus transition. EVEN IF the transition worked, that chorus just ain't gonna cut it. From the band that brought us Bad, Streets, The Fly, Mofo, hell...even Vertigo...sorry guys. The song is bad. Lowercase bad.

The acoustic version doesn't sound like four separate songs pasted together, so I don't know why it's getting heaps of shit here. It's one of the exceedingly few occasions that U2 have improved a song by playing it acoustic.

But really what's happened is that it's gone from being a 2 or 3/10 to a 4/10.

I like the acoustic version better than the original, but that's not saying much. The Kygo version is still the only-half decent arrangement.

Either way, this song is always going to suck unless they rewrite the lyrics. They could make the music on par with Streets, but if the lyrics continue to be so bad they pull me out of the listening experience, I'm never going to want to listen to this song. There's no saving "a boy" or any of the stupid one-liners in the verse that are awkwardly crammed in there so everything rhymes.

What the hell was that acoustic version about? Honestly, sometimes I literally have no idea what they’re thinking. Most times I can see the alternative point of view about a song decision or arrangement, but that there is utterly baffling, all the more so in a stadium gig.

Sometimes this place seems more like an anti-U2 forum than a fan forum. Jesus.

It seems there are many non-U2 fans or U2 haters are here posing as U2 fans. I hate this kind of activity very much. Why come in a band forum you do not like !!! I hate Bon Jovi, Coldplay etc and I never go to their fan site to express my disdain for them.

Yeah, people whose opinions differ from my own, get the fuck out.

It seems there are many non-U2 fans or U2 haters are here posing as U2 fans. I hate this kind of activity very much. Why come in a band forum you do not like !!! I hate Bon Jovi, Coldplay etc and I never go to their fan site to express my disdain for them.

Stuck in a forum you can't get out of.

If you don't want to read people bashing U2 then travel back in time bto when they consistently made good music.

It makes sense that this thread is critical because The Best Thing in all its iterations is terrible for a variety of reasons, and the remix is embarrassing. This is easily U2's worst song. At least Crazy Tonight is smoothly arranged and SUC has some interesting moments.

If you don't want to read people bashing U2 then travel back in time bto when they consistently made good music.

It makes sense that this thread is critical because The Best Thing in all its iterations is terrible for a variety of reasons, and the remix is embarrassing. This is easily U2's worst song. At least Crazy Tonight is smoothly arranged and SUC has some interesting moments.

We get it...you don't thing TBT is a good song. Reasonable people can disagree. But that's one song off an album we haven't heard yet...and considering their last album was well received by U2 fans it's hard to say they are not consistently releasing good music.

We get it...you don't thing TBT is a good song. Reasonable people can disagree. But that's one song off an album we haven't heard yet...and considering their last album was well received by U2 fans it's hard to say they are not consistently releasing good music.

There are posters who have reasonable criticism of the band and then you have others that don't just tear apart the newest release but song titles to songs they haven't heard and a few lines to songs they have never heard. It's actually comical.

The acoustic version doesn't sound like four separate songs pasted together, so I don't know why it's getting heaps of shit here. It's one of the exceedingly few occasions that U2 have improved a song by playing it acoustic.

But really what's happened is that it's gone from being a 2 or 3/10 to a 4/10.
I say it was awful because I was there and it was awful. And I don't mind if you don't agree. It's ok. But that was the single worst live U2 experience I've had. Including the Chicago 360 show where I spent about 80% of the evening having a panic attack.

There are posters who have reasonable criticism of the band and then you have others that don't just tear apart the newest release but song titles to songs they haven't heard and a few lines to songs they have never heard. It's actually comical.

Sorry, but for me the lyrics he quoted to Get Out Of Yer Own Way are kinda horribly bad, regardless of a melody that is yet to come. On another personal note, like everyone here I have heard three of these new songs and I know other users like them to varying degrees. I don't. I felt the last release was a mixed bag too, but Cedarwood, Wolves > The Troubles was a fine run and Invisible was a really good companion single.

I like the band, but like more than a few people it seems, I'm perplexed at their woeful Hot 100 pop hit chasing, it's not happening, they must know fine that they are operating in a very different music business than the one they still dominated (as regards singles) in 2005, it's one where (sadly) most big acts over 40 really struggles to have their new music make a huge impact to begin with, let alone get a huge Top 10 hit, unless (a loud cough > Coldplay, Chainsmokers, Big Sean) they are willing to sacrifice not just their integrity, but often their dignity to achieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom