You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Thunder song is the worst piece of crap I've ever heard. I can't believe something so bad could possibly exist.

Thunder might possibly be the worst song I have EVER heard. :angry:

That's funny, I've been thinking that Thunder is the first Imagine Dragons song that I actually don't hate! :lol: I usually change the station when one of their songs comes on.

U2 could release the greatest song ever right now and it wouldn't be a hit. On the other hand, if TaySway or Adele released The Best Thing right now it'd shoot to #1. That's just the game we're playing now. They should just stick to writing good material for the fans and focus being the top grossing touring act in the world.

I think you're right. Popularity isn't about the music anymore, it's about who's cool right now, for whatever reason. Actually, thinking about the Boy Band era in the late 90s and early 2000s, nothing has changed. :|

Just heard it out of curiosity and yes, agree completely. This is the crap on the charts now?

Why do people like dummed down music.

I know musical tastes vary but most of the stuff on the radio is just so dumb. I think some ppl are so smart but they listen to dumb music.

wait is LCD Soundsytem popular because they're cool or because their music is good? hm

They are cool and good. American Dream is a tremendous album.

But they are not that popular, only in indie circles. The music is decidedly not conventional even though they incorporate dance elements.

That Thunder song is the worst piece of crap I've ever heard. I can't believe something so bad could possibly exist.

Agreed. Maybe this is how Bob Seger felt when he said "today's music ain't got the same soul", and were all just old fucks, but I can't imagine anyone liking that Thunder song. I can find ZERO appeal in it.

They are cool and good. American Dream is a tremendous album.

But they are not that popular, only in indie circles. The music is decidedly not conventional even though they incorporate dance elements.

They're very popular:

This led to the band's first number-one album on the Billboard 200 chart and their second in the top ten, following This Is Happening (2010). A promotion involving concert tickets that gave out copies of the album with a ticket purchase helped increase sales numbers.[82] It also became the band's first number-one album in Canada.[83] The album also debuted at number 3 in Ireland, Scotland,[84] and the United Kingdom.[85] It also entered the top ten in Australia[86] and New Zealand[87] and the top twenty in both of the Belgian albums charts,[88] France,[89] the Netherlands,[90] and Spain.[91]

As long as U2 is making music, I can get over all the crappiness and dumbness of the music world around us.

Just took a quick jolly to Youtube to seek out that particular tune. Imagine Dragons are every bit as bad as I err imagined. Debased, disposable nonsense. Taken one look at their Wikipedia page - how the hell are they so popular? Is there a great song of theirs that I have missed?

My god - some of you may not like You're the Best Thing but it's a masterpiece in comparison.

Last edited:
I believe popularity of U2's music is the indicator of educational status of a country or the world in general. So, my assumption is...... the percentage of highly or moderately educated people of the world is all-time low now.

ok i just listened to this Thunder song and man, that made me realize that I'm so jaded about music. I've called new LCD or Alvvays album a bit boring and average but compared to that shit those albums are quite unique and full of personalities. hell, even that "meh" Mogwai album is better than this garbage and that wasn't that good to begin with.

Last edited:
Just took a quick jolly to Youtube to seek out that particular tune. Imagine Dragons are every bit as bad as I err imagined. Debased, disposable nonsense. Taken one look at their Wikipedia page - how the hell are they so popular? Is there a great song of theirs that I have missed?

My god - some of you may not like You're the Best Thing but it's a masterpiece in comparison.

The first album had some pretty big hits like "Its Time" and "Radioactive". Like them or not, they will still be playing in bars and restaurants 15 years from now. But yeah, "Thunder" barely even qualifies as a song. Just awful.

Edit- "Demons" is also a very recognizable tune from the first album. Even if you've never sought them out, you've probably still heard those 3 songs.

Last edited:
"Radioactive" might be the most overplayed song this millennium. And it's not even any good.

"It's Time" and "Demons" were at least good.

Imagine Dragons might be playing in bars and restaurants 15 years from now but those bars and restaurants won't be worth going to.

I believe popularity of U2's music is the indicator of educational status of a country or the world in general. So, my assumption is...... the percentage of highly or moderately educated people of the world is all-time low now.

Probably not a good assumption.

IMG_0421.JPG

https://ourworldindata.org/global-rise-of-education

You really think that the barometer for a highly educated person should be liking an aging western pop band?

Last edited:

and here i was thinking that nonsense in IO would be the most ridiculously pretentious post of the day...

You really think that the barometer for a highly educated person should be liking an aging western pop band?

What I wanted to mean is that U2's songs lyrics and its deeper meaning are not easy to understand for illiterate or lower educated person. That's why U2 is not that much popular in third world countries with huge population but low literacy rate like India and Bangladesh. But take Europe..... U2 is hugely popular in almost all countries simply because they are educated enough to understand U2's lyrical meaning. U2's songs resonate with them profoundly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom