Your least favourite song on NLOTH now that the album is sinking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The albums usually sink a little around song 7/8.

This time it's right in the middle, with Vertigo 2.0.

i've also had a huge problem with calling GOYB "Vertigo 2.0". i hate to sound like an elitist prick, but i really think it comes down to how you understand music (time signatures, vocal patterns, etc...).

i've always said that GOYB is a victim of being on an album that has some very deep songs surrounding it. i personally love GOYB on its own, but it does stick out when listening to the album all the way through.

Worst song is easily Stand Up Comedy and I can still enjoy it if I'm in the mood Sometimes it just annoys me. But that's because the rest of NLOTH is so good. If NLOTh was 10-track album it would be near perfection for me.

Worst song is easily Stand Up Comedy and I can still enjoy it if I'm in the mood Sometimes it just annoys me. But that's because the rest of NLOTH is so good. If NLOTh was 10-track album it would be near perfection for me.

:up:

yep

i made my own tracklisting that i posted in the Alternate Tracklisting thread....love this version:

1. No Line On The Horizon
  2. Magnificent
  3. Moment Of Surrender
  4. Unknown Caller
  5. White As Snow
  6. Disappearing Act
  7. Get On Your Boots (Extended Intro)
  8. Fez - Being Born
  9. Winter (Brothers)
  10. Breathe
  11. Cedars Of Lebanon
  12. No Line On The Horizon 2

Stand Up Comedy is still my least favourite - it's just such an awkward song, nothing really fits together. I'm not a huge fan of all three middle tracks, but Boots is at least more fun and Crazy Tonight is mildly catchy if generic.

I just can't get used to Cedars of Lebanon... don't know what it is but the song has absolutely nothing that I like. Ah well, I guess it's a sign I don't like slow songs as my least favourite songs from the last two albums were Grace and OSC.

I just don't get why people hate Stand Up Comedy, it was one of the songs that from the beginning I liked.
Then again, people love The Wanderer. I hate that song.

and i'll repeat this again; NLOTH2>NLOTH

:love:

And I agree on both Boots and SUC, Boots has nearly NOTHING in common with Vertigo. And I like SUC. I've always liked it, heard it for the first time in a while on my ipod yesterday and was like Hey, great song! What's so bad about it that makes people despise it?

It's not like it's ONe with MJB or anything!

^ In my case, I said that SUC is my least favourite from NLOTH but - attention! - I don't hate the song. I simply think that it's b-side material, it's disappointing after having heard the whole album and it's clearly overproduced to compensate the fact that there was a concept for this song that was totally changed in favor or... whatever...

I also find Unknown Caller difficult to like, but I applaud them for trying something different(for them). Other than that, I think the other, it's a very good album, Magnificent, FEZ and Cedars are great U2 songs.

^ In my case, I said that SUC is my least favourite from NLOTH but - attention! - I don't hate the song. I simply think that it's b-side material, it's disappointing after having heard the whole album and it's clearly overproduced to compensate the fact that there was a concept for this song that was totally changed in favor or... whatever...

i agree completely. i can honestly say that i don't hate any U2 songs. SUC did suffer from lack of confidence. i remember Bono saying that SUC was the one song that delayed the finishing of the album all the way up to the week of Christmas. it's unfortunate that they didn't go with the much better version called "For Your Love", which is the windy outside the studio clip we heard in 2008.

It's Stand Up Comedy for me as well. I don't hate it, I just think it suffers from the 'sloganeering' (as Neil McCormick aptly put it) in Bono's lyrics. While the concept manages to remain slightly more subtle in other tracks like Crazy Tonight, the abundance of lines like, "It's like a small child crossing an eight-lane highway on a voyage of discovery" just seems to me like Bono had a lot of soundbites that he liked, and thought he should stick them in there to make a song. It's still on the iPod and gets a play when doing an album run-through, but I've skipped it a couple of times. (If I'm honest, I also think Mercy suffers from this, but I know people like that one so I'll leave it at that).

At the start I didn't like Fez-Being Born at all, and didn't have much love for Cedars either. My opinion on the former has done a complete about-turn, and while the latter can still seem a bit of an anti-climax, it still works well and I can't say I dislike it.

Overall I still think it's an excellent record, the only U2 album on my iPod to have all of the songs on there.

For me, it's White as Snow. I don't hate it, I don't even dislike it, it's just...meh to me. I keep waiting for it to finally resonate with me, but it hasn't yet.

8 months later, still the same answer for me. I still haven't connected with this song.

As for the rest, they pretty much rank the same for me as they have since the beginning. NLOTH and Cedars are still my favourites. The one that's moved up for me is Unknown Caller. I liked it a lot before, but seeing it live - that was probably the closest to a spiritual moment that this agnostic has ever had.

As low as the album ranks as a whole on my list, it is still easy to pick the clear "weak-link". The winner (or loser, if you will):

Crazy Tonight.

Useless, useless, useless. Did I mention boring? How about the worst kind of song to put on an album that is supposedly going in a "new" direction. Big anthem about the human spirit triumphing in times of hardship...yawn...haven't heard that one before, guys...back when it was called "Miracle Drug", or "Crumbs from your table" or "original of the species" or "Stuck in a moment" or "Walk on"...the list goes on. This band has got to get away from the over-saturated "feel-good" material. It's good for it's time and place, but with U2, at this point, it's like beating a dead horse.

Crazy Tonight: not just the worst on NLOTH, but one of the worst in the U2 catalog. Sadly, I'll bet there is more of this style song on the way, because it's the kind of song they can write in their sleep and when an album isn't taking shape the way you want, why not throw in one of these...it's guaranteed to help the album sell, right?....right?

i agree completely. i can honestly say that i don't hate any U2 songs. SUC did suffer from lack of confidence. i remember Bono saying that SUC was the one song that delayed the finishing of the album all the way up to the week of Christmas. it's unfortunate that they didn't go with the much better version called "For Your Love", which is the windy outside the studio clip we heard in 2008.
Btw, where's the clip with that older version? I can't find it anywhere...

hmmm....it used to be on U2exit.com, but it appears that they completely revamped their site...in a way where it actually kind of sucks now.

i think i have it somewhere. i'll try to upload it in the next day or two.

edit: found it:

Beach Clip minus the beach – new audio | U2Exit.com News Blog

Huh, sounds like different lyrics altogether but you can definitely here some of the SUC guitar in there. Wish we could hear the real thing someday.

Back
Top Bottom