Your Favourite Track Sequence For SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Slow Loris

War Child
For those who think Book of Your Heart sounds like a b-side, try putting it behind American Soul. It sounds like a freaking classic in contrast, and surprisingly fits beautifully there. It also sounds great behind Love is All We Have Left, (but for entirely different reasons). The only problem with that though is you expect the rest of the album to sound as esoteric, which obviously it doesn't. Putting it behind American Soul doesn't suffer this problem. Book of Your Heart is really the only song that sonically ties Love Is All We Have Left to the rest of the album, so it must be included...

My favourite track sequence for this album:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Get Out of Your Own Way
3. American Soul
4. Book of Your Heart
5. Lights of Home (String)
6. You're the Best Thing About Me
7. Summer of Love
8. Red Flag Day
9. The Showman
10. Little Things
11. Landlady
12. The Blackout
13. 13 There is a Light

This track sequence gives the album an even (much more) better, and more complete feel IMO. The esoteric DNA of Love is All is allowed to penetrate the album's core with Book of Your Heart, balancing out the pop aspect of the album. Perhaps this even puts this album up there at a 5/5 instead of a 4/5, propelling it up there with AB and JT. Thoughts?

Feel free to post your favourite sequence!

Last edited:
Ok, on second thought maybe I do prefer Book of Your Heart after Love is All We Have Left! But You're the Best Thing needs to go after American Soul. Great lead into Summer of Love...

2. Book of Your Heart
3. Lights of Home (String)
4. Get Out Of Your Own Way
5. American Soul
6. Best Thing
7. Summer of Love
8. Red Flag Day
9. The Showman
10. Little Things
11. Land Lady
12. The Blackout
13. Love is Bigger Than Anything
14. There is a Light

For those who think Book of Your Heart sounds like a b-side, try putting it behind American Soul. It sounds like a freaking classic in contrast, and surprisingly fits beautifully there. It also sounds great behind Love is All We Have Left, (but for entirely different reasons). The only problem with that though is you expect the rest of the album to sound as esoteric, which obviously it doesn't. Putting it behind American Soul doesn't suffer this problem. Book of Your Heart is really the only song that sonically ties Love Is All We Have Left to the rest of the album, so it must be included...

My favourite track sequence for this album:

2. Get Out of Your Own Way
3. American Soul
4. Book of Your Heart
5. Lights of Home (String)
6. You're the Best Thing About Me
7. Summer of Love
8. Red Flag Day
9. The Showman
10. Little Things
11. Landlady
12. The Blackout
13. 13 There is a Light

This track sequence gives the album an even (much more) better, and more complete feel IMO. The esoteric DNA of Love is All is allowed to penetrate the album's core with Book of Your Heart, balancing out the pop aspect of the album. Perhaps this even puts this album up there at a 5/5 instead of a 4/5, propelling it up there with AB and JT. Thoughts?

Feel free to post your favourite sequence!
I just realized I forgot to put in Love is Bigger! :shock: It's too late to edit.

Preferred order

Love is all we have left
Lights of home string version
Get out of your own way
You’re the best thing
Summer of Love
Red flag day
The showman
The little things that give you away
Landlady
Book of your heart
The blackout
Love is bigger than anything in its way
13 (there is a light)

There is a better flow to the tone and order this way. Try Losing American Soul and adding Book after landlady to make a better bridge to the blackout. Having GOOYOW as the first track before Best thing. And use the strings version of lights. Put a DJ mix on for about seconds mix acrosss breaks and magic happens.

Last edited:
I guess this tracklist is the same as the album that was released, except the songs I don't like have been removed and Book of Your Heart has been added. I think it works well.

01. Love is All We Have Left
02. Lights of Home
03. You're the Best Thing About Me
04. Summer of Love
05. Red Flag Day
06. The Little Things That Give You Away
07. Landlady
08. The Blackout (Womanfish's enhanced mix)
09. Book of Your Heart
10. Love is Bigger Than Anything
11. There is a Light

2. Ordinary Love (original version)
3. Red Flag Day
4. Lights of Home
5. Summer of Love
6. The Blackout
7. The Crystal Ballroom
8. Get Out of Your Own Way
9. Lucifer's Hands
10. The Little Things That Give You Away
11. Book of Your Heart
12. Lights of Home (St Peter's String Version)

No need to substitute songs, the ones chosen are best served for the album. Book of Your Heart is interesting, but I'm glad it is only a bonus track.

One core change I think would have really nailed the weight of the album would be Blackout>Little Things>Love is Bigger>13.

To make this happen, I'd bring The Showman's brevity to earlier in the album - the 'you look so good' lyric works as a Ali/Bono couplet after Best Thing.

This is my preferred track listing - though I have very little quarrel with this album in its finished, complete form.

Love Is All We Have Left
Lights Of Home
You're The Best Thing About Me
The Showman (Little More Better)
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
Summer Of Love
Red Flag Day
Landlady
The Blackout
The Little Things That Give You Away
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
13 (There Is A Light)

I danced with my little doggie on his last day to Love is all we have left. Such a powerfully, pure song.

Back
Top Bottom