Would it not be the coolest thing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I agree that it is odd to have such a prominent band let its fans see the overly close relationship the producers have in the music making process...I think its not that odd that the close relationship exists, especially in today's musical environment.

Yes, many bands basically want to do it THEIR way..and Metallica is indeed known for doing just THAT.

I guess including Rick Rubin in the same sentence with Timbaland is not only an insult to Rubin it is not a great comparison. Timbaland is very very involved in the music and even sings on it. Rubin, who although may not sing or grab an instrument and play during the recordings is sometimes such a big influence on the end product that you can't say that he was simply a "producer". He helped usher in certain styles of rap and fusion rap/rock that would never have happened if it weren't for his influence. You go call LL Cool J and ask him if Rick Rubin was just a "producer" or if he was more of an "engineer" when he worked with him.

THATS my point.

No, not ALL producers take a hands on approach...but most of them do and my ultimate point is that its not a bad thing so long as they know what the hell they're doing.

But you do make some great points...good post man!

Likewise!

No but maybe other albums to be produced, and maybe Lanois will want to make a new album. Even Eno recently made a record with David Byrne.

They do have a life outside of U2.

They also have a history of 25 years of making music together that made a huge impact.

I doubt they have many collaborations that that go beyond that in their entire lives. Certainly none with such an impact.

1. Correct - and even more so now
2. I stated all these points
3. Yes but that is besides the point. They can do whatever they desire to do. This is a speculatory thread.
4. Again this is a speculatory thread. Prove? Tour?

What?

3. This is the whole point. A U2 tour is a worldwide affair that takes up considerable time and travel arrangements. Yes, Lanois occasionally will play a song with them and Eno joined U2 for Miss Sarajevo when they played it in Bosnia, but there's a difference between a one-off performance and commitment to play night after night, 100+ shows, for circa two years.
4. I know they have a long relationship and a huge body of work. How does this indicate Eno and/or Lanois touring with U2 ? Why would they start now ? U2's always been very adamant about just being the four of them on stage.

eno or lanois joining the band for a whole tour would be one of the dumbest things ever. cringe-worthy. i absolutely hate it when bands get big and old and conceited and start adding people to their live lineup. it's not cool. what's cool is using backing tracks and presenting a big, huge, gigantic live sound with just your original 4 guys on-stage. besides, do you really think U2 is lacking sound in the live department?

eno or lanois joining the band for a whole tour would be one of the dumbest things ever. cringe-worthy. i absolutely hate it when bands get big and old and conceited and start adding people to their live lineup. it's not cool. what's cool is using backing tracks and presenting a big, huge, gigantic live sound with just your original 4 guys on-stage. besides, do you really think U2 is lacking sound in the live department?

My opinion:
I think they could certainly change it up at this point without any lost credibility. It's not like I am proposing a tour with session players or the Royal Philharmonic. We are talking about a band with perceived integrity incorporating people instrumental in the composition of a great majority of the songs.

I certainly undertand your point though and I think they are a fat and phenominal live band.

i liked seeing lanois as a guest guitar player on One with eddie Vedder in Toronto.

That's about it. I want to go see U2, not U2+2. It would detract from the overall stage charisma that they've built throughout the years, I think.

My opinion:
I certainly undertand your point though and I think they are a fat and phenominal live band.

I agree that U2 is a phenomenal live band. I also agree that Bono is packing on the weight, but the rest of the band are keeping trim. So I wouldn't exactly call them, as a band, fat.

It would be cool if there was peace in this world in my lifetime. But it ain't going to happen.

Bono will soon have to do live shows sitting down because he wont be able to stand up for two hours, he is that huge around the midrift.

Back
Top Bottom