Woody Harrelson/Song For Someone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't even see the point of a single at this stage, and especially not Song for Someone.

U2 are not at the point of their career where they are going to get a massive chart hit, especially not the third single from an album that was free. If the purpose of the single is more to get a bit of airplay to promote the tour and sell the tickets, then I really don't think a cliche snoozefest is going to do the job. Get people in the door by getting them excited and their blood pumping. Volcano or Cedarwood Road fit that bill.

But hey, whatever, release another shit song as a single. That seems to have been U2's general approach for a long time now.

On my first listen through of the album back in September, "Song For Someone" was the one that stood out the most for me. Its got beautiful guitar by the Edge and soaring soulful vocals by Bono. Your more likely to get members of the general public into this song than any other on the album. Its under 4 minutes which radio programmers love.

Its not the best song on the album, I prefer Iris, Crystal Ballroom, Invisible, and Volcano over it. Still though, one of the better ones.

Well, they were initially supposed to release four singles for NLOTH, but just gave up after Crazy Tonight got no traction. If Song for Someone is as widely ignored as I expect, they may call it after three singles again.

Once the tour starts, what would be the point of another singly anyway?

To see if something might happen. Nothing will happen if they don't try. Its not like releasing a single is costly effort for the band, so what do they have to lose? There is always a one in thousand chance that it becomes a hit.

I met Woody at the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert in Vancouver - 2006. The show was a Rogers Arena and he was sitting one row ahead of me. Nice guy, we chatted for a bit and during our conversation about music he did mention that he was a big U2 fan.

Back
Top Bottom