Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:shurg: i like the closer to the album, why are you trying to turn this into yet another negative thread?

What are you talking about?

I just like this song better than Cedars and i think it would be much nicer if this song was the closer of the album.

What the fuck? Winter leaked?
Could anyone explain what's going on please. :wave:

The Coldplay parts at the beginning (cringe :doh:) and guitar are bland. The Dallas clip and Opera parts have potential.

It's exactly like Edge said. "It's not finished." Eno calling them "stupid cunts" for leaving it off shows that he gets the ego problem which the band is fully aware of and they made the best decision. White as snow is much better. I'm sure when they finish this demo off it will be much better. The lyrics look like place holders.

I hope U2 never releases an album they aren't happy with and feel is unfinished. If we have to wait awhile for the next album so be it.

Go to the request thread. The mp3 is in bad quality and the song is not that great because it's really only a demo so keep your expectations in check.

Oh... ok. Thanks!
But from where this came from?

Oh... ok. Thanks!
But from where this came from?

The DVD linear was finished before the album was finished and Winter was in the tracklist at the time. After updating the songs for the movie Winter is still there. Edge feels it's unfinished so we'll probably get a better version on the new album if they don't ditch it first. :D

It's a good song, but not great, sounds unfinished to me, and the intro sounds too much like Coldplay. There are some very beautiful moments in the song, also lyric-wise, but overall I don't think it would have fit on the album, let alone as replacement for another track. I think the album is fine the way it is and Winter is rightfully an outtake.

so this song will probably end up like mercy? we all have it.......so the guys will forget about it and we'll never hear it on a album in its proper form.

so this song will probably end up like mercy? we all have it.......so the guys will forget about it and we'll never hear it on a album in its proper form.

Edge said it wasn't finished and they want to finish it for the next album. Of course they may find something better along the way. As it is the song would be ripped apart by critics if they included it. U2 can't afford to put out unfinished tracks and expect people to give them 5 stars on their ratings. Even when they make the right decisions many will crap on them no matter what they do. At this stage in their careers the pressure is on.

As I stated before... I think this IS mercy.

Also, on the Zane Lowe show they said it will probably appear on the next album but isn't finished right now.

Too late...Pop is already out..

I'm talking about from now on. NLOTH is the only album they finished completely. Everything else had time constraints related to deadlines. U2 now moves deadlines if they are in the way of finishing the album. I hope they continue this.

yeah...agree about the critics part. they shred them for one bad lyric. as for mercy....i know it has its faults...but some of those lyrics in there are pretty good. the song just needed some minor changes here and there. kinda of a shame if they waste them.

hey ive been out of the loop....what is this dallas clip everyone keeps mentioning? i like this song a lot. i think im gonna use mp3 trim and take out the vlv part in the beginning and slot it somewhere in my nloth playlist on my ipod and listen to it straight through.....:) i just have to figure out what songs to put it in between.

This song is beautiful, but definitely unfinished.

I hope its early appearance doesn't discourage them from finishing it, because it has huge potential.

maybe this has already been stated but i know some say they are copying coldplay on this one. since eno worked with coldplay isn't it eno copying eno. i know coldplays album came out first, but who knows who he gave the idea to first. also, i have listened to the salome demo tapes for a long time, but doesn't the part where he begins singing sound like one of those demos?

hey ive been out of the loop....what is this dallas clip everyone keeps mentioning? i like this song a lot. i think im gonna use mp3 trim and take out the vlv part in the beginning and slot it somewhere in my nloth playlist on my ipod and listen to it straight through.....:) i just have to figure out what songs to put it in between.

It's a beautiful little instrumental from the NLTOH sessions that appeared on one of the u2.com video clips. It features on the bridge of Winter

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/dallas.swf

You can find links to the other clips here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...updated-regularly-look-here-first-191666.html

while i hate to breakup NLOTH at all, i think it fits very well between SUC and FBB. but i'd rather just keep it a part of my Linear tracklist.

This song is terrible, thank God they left it off the album....makes GOYB sound like "One".

It doesn't go anywhere, it just sort of meanders...but I agree, defenitely unfinished. They had the good sense to just let this one go....

If they worked on it a little more instead of over cooking some other songs this would have been one of my favorite tracks on the album easily.

You know the intro doesnt bother me as much that it sounds like coldplay...what bothers me is that it sounds like its being played off of a casio keyboard from toys r us.

Well, there's a potential here that I don't really see in one or two songs on NLOTH. But as finished songs they get the nod over an obvious demo like this.

Back
Top Bottom