Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry i just cant get over the amateur sounding string synth, sounds ridiculous and lame, totally unnecessary

sounds just like a song from Viva La Vida and not just the intro

Are U2 ever going to get their balls back or are they done?

sorry i just cant get over the amateur sounding string synth, sounds ridiculous and lame, totally unnecessary

Come on guy! Eno wanted the song on there and the band kicked it off until it's finished.

Of course Eno wanted it on there, he has no idea what quality is anymore

He does know quality but he's also the guy who almost erased WTSHNN. He needs the band to counter him because he's not a fan of rock music. Lanois has input and doesn't seem to bitch too much. This is partly the reason why Eno wasn't able to push Viva La Vida to satisfactory territory since a person like Lanois who likes rock isn't there.

the staccato part of that string loop sounds cheap as hell. it doesnt sound natural at all and if thats the case then it should be modded to hell and back not just left as is. its like he said fuck it. I would hope that U2 could afford to bring in a real player for that part. or at the very least buy the instrument and have someone in the band play it or play it himself.

The fact of the matter is that people heard the Dallas u2.com clip and built up so much expectation for this song that everyone's upset that it didn't give them an orgasm when they heard it.

Oh well.

He does know quality but he's also the guy who almost erased WTSHNN. He needs the band to counter him because he's not a fan of rock music. Lanois has input and doesn't seem to bitch too much. This is partly the reason why Eno wasn't able to push Viva La Vida to satisfactory territory since a person like Lanois who likes rock isn't there.

Lanois' idea of rock is that damned lap guitar that sound like a dream that takes place in an elevator.

U2 seriously need to find a fresh set of ears for the next album because this well has most certainly run dry.

Im almost certain U2 felt the need to do their two friends a favor for not crediting them for atyclb and this album's snooze moments ar ethe result.

U2 ARE A ROCK BAND, it worked well in the late 80's because they didnt compromise enough of their blood to the production duo for it to matter, it balanced things out. Its way too far on the other end of the spectrum now aside from Boots, which enois had nothing to do with. Even Eno himself said he didnt like it.

I keep repeating myself because in some shred of hope I sincerely hope someone in the U2 camp hears my cries.

Obviously needs another vocal take through this part maybe more than any other, along with whatever other cleaning up it obviously would get if it were given the album-thumbs up, but… from the falsetto on, what on earth is not to love? Cleaned up and in high quality, it’s likely really gorgeous. The falsetto rising while the bass drops behind it (should go for another round of this though). Eno’s delicacy behind Bono’s talking. Then into the Edge doing what in sounding like a chopper is no doubt not a coincidence, then a stretch from Bono that definitely needs correcting, then the operatic outro, which I absolutely love. And it is –finally – a song allowed to fade, not wrapped up sharply. You kids throwing this out the window, or saying it wouldn’t fit amongst the other songs on this album, or think it’s just Mercy all over again, or whatever, are mad. Mad!

And yeah, I agree. I can’t believe they hammer on songs like Crazy Tonight for 16-fucking-months, over and over and over (take a hint boys), but don’t give something like this, sitting there at 80-90% good to go, that final push over the line.

I can only assume you haven't heard Moment of Surrender.

Unfortunately I have. Its the one I dont listen to now the most. Thats not to say I havent listened to it numerous times searching for something good. The only thing good is Bonos voice.

For those who havent heard it yet, its being streamed at snoozefest.com

Obviously needs another vocal take through this part maybe more than any other, along with whatever other cleaning up it obviously would get if it were given the album-thumbs up, but… from the falsetto on, what on earth is not to love? Cleaned up and in high quality, it’s likely really gorgeous. The falsetto rising while the bass drops behind it (should go for another round of this though). Eno’s delicacy behind Bono’s talking. Then into the Edge doing what in sounding like a chopper is no doubt not a coincidence, then a stretch from Bono that definitely needs correcting, then the operatic outro, which I absolutely love. And it is –finally – a song allowed to fade, not wrapped up sharply. You kids throwing this out the window, or saying it wouldn’t fit amongst the other songs on this album, or think it’s just Mercy all over again, or whatever, are mad. Mad!

And yeah, I agree. I can’t believe they hammer on songs like Crazy Tonight for 16-fucking-months, over and over and over (take a hint boys), but don’t give something like this, sitting there at 80-90% good to go, that final push over the line.

i think they call that the halo effect

Some great ideas mixed with some inconsequential or absurd ones (the synths. :doh:)

Even in this unfinished state, I'd have preferred it over the unimaginative "Stand Up Comedy"...but neither is really deserving of being on a U2 album.

I'm feeling a kindred spirit vibe. Are you appreciating NLOTH but suspecting it could've been a god-like effort with just a little more priority given to the better (honestly, the more Eno/pilgrimage theme) songs?

Unfortunately I have. Its the one I dont listen to now the most. Thats not to say I havent listened to it numerous times searching for something good. The only thing good is Bonos voice.

you're not very good at listening to music.

This song is great, though unfinished. It already seems that it could be one of the best songs on the album. And the VLV copycat claims are silly, the string/piano arrangement is quite different, less strident than VLV and more elegant.

I can't wait to see this finished, it's already sounding like a better, more interesting ballad than Moment of Surrender is.

I definitely liked it more the second time I listened to it. With a little work, this could be a really good song!:hmm:

you know by ghosts he meant terroroists, right?

Of course Eno wanted it on there, he has no idea what quality is anymore

the staccato part of that string loop sounds cheap as hell. it doesnt sound natural at all and if thats the case then it should be modded to hell and back not just left as is. its like he said fuck it. I would hope that U2 could afford to bring in a real player for that part. or at the very least buy the instrument and have someone in the band play it or play it himself.

Lanois' idea of rock is that damned lap guitar that sound like a dream that takes place in an elevator.

U2 seriously need to find a fresh set of ears for the next album because this well has most certainly run dry.

Im almost certain U2 felt the need to do their two friends a favor for not crediting them for atyclb and this album's snooze moments ar ethe result.

U2 ARE A ROCK BAND, it worked well in the late 80's because they didnt compromise enough of their blood to the production duo for it to matter, it balanced things out. Its way too far on the other end of the spectrum now aside from Boots, which enois had nothing to do with. Even Eno himself said he didnt like it.

I keep repeating myself because in some shred of hope I sincerely hope someone in the U2 camp hears my cries.

i think they call that the halo effect

that comment is almost as absurd as those synths.

Wow.

Just, wow.

This song is great, though unfinished. It already seems that it could be one of the best songs on the album. And the VLV copycat claims are unfounded, the string/piano arrangement is quite different, less strident that VLV and more elegant.

I can't wait to see this finished, it's already sounding like a better, more interesting ballad than Moment of Surrender is.

dude, its the same exact synth sound

By ghosts he does not mean terrorists. He means that the american perception of terrorist (meaning anyone who is middle-eastern) is erroneous. Invading Iraq to battle an army of terrorists is like fighting a war against ghosts. The 100's of 1000's of innocent civilians that died weren't terrorists.

Brian Eno's musical abilities > Any person on this forum musical abilites

Unless Edge is around here... :wink:

By ghosts he does not mean terrorists. He means that the american perception of terrorist (meaning anyone who is middle-eastern) is erroneous. Invading Iraq to battle an army of terrorists is like fighting a war against ghosts. The 100's of 1000's of innocent civilians that died weren't terrorists.

so you elaborate it out and that means im wrong? thats exactly what i meant, i didnt think it needed to be spelled out. didnt think there was anyone that dense here

dude, its the same exact synth sound

No it isn't, Satriani's is the exact same as the one in VLV.

And by synth sound do you mean strings? Cause that's an instrument, it would sound the same. It's like saying it's the exact same acoustic guitar sound.

The structure/rhythm/tempo and backing instrumentation are different enough, to set itself apart from VLV's intro. It has a very different feel to it as well.

tell me where im wrong, brew

Its not that you are wrong, brew (what am I, a fuckin beer?) it's that we get that you don't like it. Registered and understood, sir.

The way you are going about trashing everything about this album is in effect insulting everyone here who has said they like it.

It's fine to dislike it. It's not fine to go about registering your dislike for it by lambasting it, and ridiculing those who do.... brew

so you elaborate it out and that means im wrong? thats exactly what i meant, i didnt think it needed to be spelled out. didnt think there was anyone that dense here

you said exactly that "by ghosts he means terrorists".

How on earth does that mean what I said "by ghosts he means that terrorists are a trumped up falsehood to label a race of people"

Back
Top Bottom