Winter Should Have Replaced White as Snow on NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you are saying that WAS is as good as SBS?

Really?!

To me that assertion is massively ridiculous.

Be There is a great song, btw.

I'm NOT suggesting that WaS could ever be as important a song for U2 as SBS was and is. I AM suggesting it's a great song: Great as opposed to good. One of my top 5 on the album.

Be There was a crap song, charmingly sincere but really not good enough to be a B-side. In it's current form; Winter isn't any better than Be There. Yes, there are pretty parts, but it's actually painful for me to listen to Winter.

The idea of including it on NLOTH, even without dropping any of the 11 wonderful songs on the album, would have been a tragedy IMHO....

Winter reminds me of Yahweh too, it has that sort of U2 on autopilot feel that Yahweh had.

Why? Just curious what people like about it. I love COL so I don't categorize them together. The former seems lame to me and the latter quietly powerful.

IMO.

The lyrics are heartbreaking when you look at the context of a soldier in Afghanistan in hostile territory where "Now the wolves are every passing stranger/Every face we cannot know" with a wish that "if only a heart could be as white as snow."

The "Lamb of God" is another term for Jesus. He was the ultimate "sacrificial lamb".

And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them. 3 And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them.

Mark 9:2

White As Snow: U2's most intimate song | Music | guardian.co.uk

“There are a couple of songs from the point of view of an active soldier in Afghanistan,” Bono told me back in June 2008, at the group’s Hanover Quay studio in Dublin, during a break in recording, “and one of them, White As Snow, lasts the length of time it takes him to die”….

The song’s melody is based on an old hymn, Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel, that, according to The Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal, was composed by “an unknown author, circa 1100″…

The idea of a song based on the dying thoughts of a soldier initially came to Bono after he read William Golding’s ambitious novel, Pincher Martin, which is told from the point of view of a British sailor who appears to have survived the torpedoing of his ship. As he approaches death, his thoughts roam back over his life, and the moral choices he made or avoided.

Hope that helps.

DISCLAIMER!!! THE FOLLOWING IS AN OPINION!

Winter fucking sucks. It's like Coldplay meets City Of Blinding Lights meets a boring Bruce Springsteen song. Why would you need this song? You've already heard two of them! You get Viva la Vida in the intro, and the guitar melody from COBL in Bono's singing on the verses.

Another thought: i hate these flimsy lefty protest songs about war being bad. Yea, no shit. People dying sucks obviously.

The topic of war is so much more powerful when done in a subtler fashion, as in WAS and COL, where Bono goes into the mind of a character, gives a small, isolated, matter of fact account of what's happening, rather than these big ass gestures that you hear in Winter, with all that anthemic music, like i'm suppposed to dance and pump my fist and start screaming out "butter on toast." I think WAS is the perfect rebuttal to Winter. It's quiet, it's a little eerie, it's got music that perfectly suits the lyrics. It only opens up once, climaxes during the middle 8, when the character reflects on his past, and it's emotional, and it lifts you above the horrors of war for a brief moment, but then WHOOSH, the dream has passed, grim reality sets in, the music is soft and eerie , the soldier is alone, lost and afraid. That is powerful. Winter is a fucking joke compared to this song.

Last edited:
Winter fucking sucks. It's like Coldplay meets City Of Blinding Lights meets a boring Bruce Springsteen song. Why would you need this song? You've already heard two of them! You get Viva la Vida in the intro, and the guitar melody from COBL in Bono's singing on the verses.

Another thought: i hate these flimsy lefty protest songs about war being bad. Yea, no shit. People dying sucks obviously.

The topic of war is so much more powerful when done in a subtler fashion, as in WAS and COL, where Bono goes into the mind of a character, gives a small, isolated, matter of fact account of what's happening, rather than these big ass gestures that you hear in Winter, with all that anthemic music, like i'm suppposed to dance and pump my fist and start screaming out "butter on toast." I think WAS is the perfect rebuttal to Winter. It's quiet, it's a little eerie, it's got music that perfectly suits the lyrics. It only opens up once, climaxes during the middle 8, when the character reflects on his past, and it's emotional, and it lifts you above the horrors of war for a brief moment, but then WHOOSH, the dream has passed, grim reality sets in, the music is soft and eerie , the soldier is alone, lost and afraid. That is powerful. Winter is a fucking joke compared to this song.

You might consider adding an "IMO" if you are going to say that a song other people might like f-ing sucks.

You might consider adding an "IMO" if you are going to say that a song other people might like f-ing sucks.

What do you think, bro? You think that was my opinion...or was it in reality the Voice Of God? It's quite a gamble, but i'd have to go with "it was my opinion".

What did you think about the rest of my post? Any thoughts?

I'm even up for re-evaluating the song if they work on it some more. All of my comments only apply to the version available at this stage....

It just sounds like lots of U2 bsides....unfinished. When they change songs they can be almost unrecognizable from before. The lyrics also look like placeholders. Eno was just pushing the band to release it but they decided against it (good) so they could have some more time to make it better. Most of their songs that are ready for the new album "Songs of ascent" are probably in that condition or better.

It just sounds like lots of U2 bsides....unfinished. When they change songs they can be almost unrecognizable from before. The lyrics also look like placeholders. Eno was just pushing the band to release it but they decided against it (good) so they could have some more time to make it better. Most of their songs that are ready for the new album "Songs of ascent" are probably in that condition or better.

I was never a fan of Mercy, but compared to Winter it is Beethoven's 9th. I am so relieved they left this song off the album.

There's nothing wrong with discarding a song that has nothing going for it. A songwriter myself, sometimes it's easier to just throw everything away and start over, like they should've done with Vertigo. You can't stab something a million times hoping it will come to life.

Winter can stay nicely tucked away in Linear, and the band can move on to stronger songs.

winter should have been on the album along with white as snow:hug:

What do you think, bro? You think that was my opinion...or was it in reality the Voice Of God? It's quite a gamble, but i'd have to go with "it was my opinion".

What did you think about the rest of my post? Any thoughts?

I don't see your opinion.

To me the lyrics are awkward, are too reminiscent of Peace on Earth (lame), and the music is bland at best.

I just don't get it.

winter is a good song imo...however it doesn't seem finished. I wish it would have been on the album (in a finished form) between WAS and Breathe....i like the "words abandon me"...lyrics. I will take this song though "as is", like I do with Mercy.

winter is a good song imo...however it doesn't seem finished. I wish it would have been on the album (in a finished form) between WAS and Breathe....i like the "words abandon me"...lyrics. I will take this song though "as is", like I do with Mercy.

yep. that's the best way to handle it. for me, it will appear in all the alternate tracklists i make, but in no way should the "Winter" we have be on the album, in its state. the potential is huge. but we definitely dont' have a finished product like every song on NLOTH. you can tell the difference.

Why is there all this White As Snow hate? It's one of the best songs on the album, and definitely should NOT be replaced.

I think Crazy Tonight should have been replaced by Winter, though.

yep. that's the best way to handle it. for me, it will appear in all the alternate tracklists i make, but in no way should the "Winter" we have be on the album, in its state. the potential is huge. but we definitely dont' have a finished product like every song on NLOTH. you can tell the difference.

I don't understand why people say Winter sounds unfinished - especially when the new album has some unique song structures as it is.

Can someone explain what sounds unfinished about it? The lyric starts with a story about a man and then ends with the idea that the character knew he could kill upon having a son. Does not seem unfinished.

The intro and outro and beautiful and the chorus is quite strong...

As well as 5 different vocal styles displayed...

So what is unfinished?

Back
Top Bottom