Winter (Linear) vs. Winter (Brothers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you prefer??

• Total voters
LINEAR, even though it's unfinished. The Brothers version is over-done and the vocals are embarrassing.

U2 over-cook everything eventually so that the vitality evaporates. Native Son>Vertigo, Xanax and Wine>Fast Cars and ABOY Original>ABOY Album Version. And if I happen to be more hip for thinking so, I'll take it.

The original ABOY version is horrible. Just screaming from Bono, no chorus, totally raw and unfinished. Some of the lyrics may be interesting but I'll never understand how people can like that version or prefer it over the album version. But then again it seems to be "in" to take alternative over album versions.

As for "Winter" I must say I still prefer the Brothers version, even though I think both aren't really great. The song itself isn't very good. The Brothers version is better for a movie soundtrack. The Linear version still sounds like a demo that was hastily put together out of incoherent parts. The Brothers version sounds more orchestral, it doesn't have much U2 to it, except Bono's singing. The raspy vocals don't bother me, in fact I think it fits the emotional theme of the song and movie.

I hope they get to perform the song on one of the award shows.

The original ABOY version is horrible. Just screaming from Bono, no chorus, totally raw and unfinished. Some of the lyrics may be interesting but I'll never understand how people can like that version or prefer it over the album version. But then again it seems to be "in" to take alternative over album versions.

As for "Winter" I must say I still prefer the Brothers version, even though I think both aren't really great. The song itself isn't very good. The Brothers version is better for a movie soundtrack. The Linear version still sounds like a demo that was hastily put together out of incoherent parts. The Brothers version sounds more orchestral, it doesn't have much U2 to it, except Bono's singing. The raspy vocals don't bother me, in fact I think it fits the emotional theme of the song and movie.

I hope they get to perform the song on one of the award shows.

I happen to prefer the alternative takes because I think they are better songs, not because I am the meek follower of some ill-defined "trend". How exquisitely condescending to suggest otherwise.

Definitely the linear version- more in tune with the soul of U2 in its earlier days. The brothers version is so bland (comparatively) and something I'd expect from a contemporary music station. The brother's version is a good song that will please everyone, but eventually be forgotten about. The linear version is not appealing to everyone. However after some time, to those it appeals to, it becomes an invaluable classic that never gets old. How can you not love the guitar work and roughness of Bono's voice? Imagine if they ever finished it properly while still keeping some of its raw energy :love:

The only thing I miss from the Linear version is the guitar. For the rest Brothers is much better.

Interesting to see how the progress of this poll. Brothers got off to such a strong start that I didn't think Linear had a chance :wink:

do u think they will do this song live and if they do will bono do that low Oprah part

Didn't realise the Brothers version was different. I just looked it up on youtube and only got through the first one and a half minutes. Stripped of all its beauty! :down:

The linear version is gorgeous! I'd take winter over anything off NLOTH and I really most songs on that album. Rough as it is it is still one of the best things U2 has done in the noughties!!

Winter (linear) is stunning stunning stunning!!!

I think Winter surpasses anything off NLOTH. Gloriously haunting melody with one of U2's best outros. I am trult obsessed with this song and havn't played any other U2 song from the noughties decade more. Even with it's flaws (butter toast anyone?) it is still a beautiful rough diamond.

Linear Winter = Awesome. Better than at least 50% of the material on NLOTH. My only beef with this version is the Viva La Vida comparison; which could've easily been removed with all the other parts salvageable. Instead, we get...

Brothers Winter = *yawn*...Bono to the band: "Look, guys. I don't need you on this one." At least the recent string of U2 grand ballads have a good rock ballad sound. This is more like easy listening, soft-rock, "people over 50 who don't really listen to much music might like it" type of stuff. Maybe I'll get to hear this one next time I'm at the dentist's office. Boring. Boring. Boring.

Still, hope they win an oscar, because duh, it's U2. They should've won for "The Hand's that Build America" a few years back, too, even though that song was rather dull, too. I certainly hope the new Winter is just an indication of U2's idea for making the song "film soundtrack appropriate" and not an indicator of anything in the realm of "new ideas for the band".

It was mentioned by Bono recently that Edge is working on some electronic parts for Winter, so we know the Brothers version is not the final version.

i really like both versions, probably the Brothers version a little more, since i really enjoyed the movie, and the song fits it well.

one thing, does anyone else notice that the electric guitar at the very end playing over the "So glad you made it home" part is really out of tune?

I happen to prefer the alternative takes because I think they are better songs, not because I am the meek follower of some ill-defined "trend". How exquisitely condescending to suggest otherwise.

It's equally condescending though when those who like the alternate versions go on and on as though the album versions have been "stripped of their soul" so to speak and those who like the album version don't really get it. People may not come out and say this but it's there with the way those who like the alternate versions speak of the songs.

I'm not trying to stray too far off topic here, because I've already stated I far prefer the Linear version. But I also wanted to add that I keep playing the Linear running order for NLOTH and I love it. I realize this topic was discussed ages ago, but with the passing of time, I went back and even though I like NLOTH as is, the Linear version does much more for me. By the time we're four songs in, I'm so engrossed in the haunting melodies that I've gone to another place. Brilliant.

It's equally condescending though when those who like the alternate versions go on and on as though the album versions have been "stripped of their soul" so to speak and those who like the album version don't really get it. People may not come out and say this but it's there with the way those who like the alternate versions speak of the songs.

I like the alternate versions more for the most part, and I don't feel that way at all about people who prefer the album versions. I don't understand why some people can't just like the alternate takes more without it having to mean we're trying to be in some sort of snobby club or something.

This.

Back
Top Bottom