Winter (Linear) vs. Winter (Brothers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you prefer??

• Total voters
Like both, but the Brothers version is great. Really love it.

Linear is too much of a demo- it's just hard to compare them.

I would love it had the brothers version been on NLOTH instead of Stand Up Comedy. Would have made the album much better (and I really like the album as is).

For me, the Linear version had so many more interesting elements. The Brothers one is nice, but just too basic.

Granted it's better than Peace on Earth and Cedars in my opinion, but it's along the same lines of there being just not enough to hold my attention repeatedly.

I think the Brothers version is more understated and fits the theme of the movie. But I do prefer the Linear version. It's imperfect, more complex and flawed and flows a little better. It could use a little Lillywhite edit and mix. I love Edge's guitar throughout. It's so powerful! It's a shame that besides the die-hard fans, few will get to hear the Linear version.

To me the Linear version is like finding a rare early manuscript of a famous writer before the final draft got published. It's fascinating to hear versions like this before the final result comes out. It's amazing how the final Brothers version has changed. Both need to be experienced.

I wish they would release a Winter EP with both versions. It probably won't happen.

I really enjoyed the 1.30 of the brothers version
never bothered with the linear version again after first listen

both versions are horrible, but in the end i decided to vote for the less horrible piece of music: the linear winter TLW

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but how do you get the download, specifically from iTunes, of the song? I tried looking under U2 and then I searched for the movie. Nothing is coming up.

Saw Brothers last night and that version blew me away. I was already a huge fan of the Linear version, but Brothers wins.

Edited: Now that I've downloaded the Brothers version and can listen outside of an emptying theater, I take it back. I like the Linear version better. Mods, feel free to change my vote.

Brothers.

In general, the song needs so much more work.
I pick the Brothers version because it has less parts that annoy me.

Original by far............where is the rest of the band on the brothers versions. Edge has some cool guitar parts on the original, all gone.

Sooooo strange that things are as close as they are right now! But that's interference for you! A lot of the same people would probably vote for Native Son over Vertigo just to seem hip! :lol:

Sooooo strange that things are as close as they are right now! But that's interference for you! A lot of the same people would probably vote for Native Son over Vertigo just to seem hip! :lol:

or someone could actually prefer Native Son over Vertigo (I don't for the record). I think its just that simple, its no conspiracy. Everyone has different tastes.

I legitimately like the Linear version better, not sure how or why that would be considered obstinate or controversial. :shrug:

What happened to the clean tone Bono had when he did that cover of Stevie Wonder's 'Happy Birthday' for Nelson Mandela? I don't really appreciate the return of the purposely scratchy, overwrought Bomb voice on the new version of Winter.

I voted for the Linear version, and I would vote for Native Son in a heartbeat... because I believe those are the better versions of both songs. Wanting to seem "hip" don't enter into it, son.:wink:

What happened to the clean tone Bono had when he did that cover of Stevie Wonder's 'Happy Birthday' for Nelson Mandela? I don't really appreciate the return of the purposely scratchy, overwrought Bomb voice on the new version of Winter.

IMO, it fits the song and the emotional theme.

I voted for the Linear version, and I would vote for Native Son in a heartbeat... because I believe those are the better versions of both songs. Wanting to seem "hip" don't enter into it, son.:wink:

Agreed. I'm not sure why people have to try and dissect other people's opinions. For me, I far prefer the Linear version and I like Vertigo better than Native Son. Those are my genuine opinions. Not trying to appear one way or the other. When I hear the Linear version, my ears are more pleased. Simple as that.

And this vote will lend credence to the fact that as many people like the original as the latter. As hard as that may be for some to believe it would seem.

Brothers, definitely. I think without all the clatter in the background ... focused just on the melody and the lyrics... it provides more emotional depth.

Back
Top Bottom