Winter is the best of the new songs to emerge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Winter is a terrific song! I like it more than Window in the Skies, Boots, Vertigo and many others songs...yeah, I said it. :)

Better than Vertigo:huh:

LOL

I do love me some Winter:D

I still say NLOTH would be better if COL were dropped as the last song & Winter was in it's place

IMHO of course

You need to use your imagination on the version we have. I can see it has massive potential. What we have is disjointed and messy, but what we have is certainly not what they would have put on record anyway. Also, Eno’s description of it sounds almost nothing like what we have, so perhaps they’ve slipped us v1.0 and left a very different v2.0 up their sleeve.

If they could smooth out the connections between the various sections of the song (it’s a bumpy ride as it is), tweak the lyrics, and then add the lush production it surely would have gotten if given the green light (or has in a newer version they’re holding back) I do like the overall feel, especially from the second “summer sings in me no more” on to the end, which I love. It’s really just the first half that needs the structural work.

If it had made the album, I don’t see it as a closing track, more of a bridge song that could have provided a more smooth transition between the bombastic 00s U2 of the middle trio and the return to Eno land of Fez-Being Born.

And yes, it’s potentially light years ahead of Vertigo.

"Summer.. sings in me no more" (followed by pounding bass) <-- That is a defining U2 moment right there and i have a bad feeling in my stomach that Bono will change the lyric. I hope we get a proper release in the future.

Its ok at best

Too choppy, all over the place, constructly poorly, bad vocals, nothing new and worst of all the begining sounds like that shit song Viva.

Pretty bland song, it needs more work.
A billion times better than Mercy anyway, which is the worst thing U2 (almost - thank God) put on record.

If you're a U2 fan that loves Coldplay, then this is your song. If you're a U2 fan that hates Coldplay...well u know the rest.

You need to use your imagination on the version we have. I can see it has massive potential. What we have is disjointed and messy, but what we have is certainly not what they would have put on record anyway. Also, Eno’s description of it sounds almost nothing like what we have, so perhaps they’ve slipped us v1.0 and left a very different v2.0 up their sleeve.

If they could smooth out the connections between the various sections of the song (it’s a bumpy ride as it is), tweak the lyrics, and then add the lush production it surely would have gotten if given the green light (or has in a newer version they’re holding back) I do like the overall feel, especially from the second “summer sings in me no more” on to the end, which I love. It’s really just the first half that needs the structural work.

If it had made the album, I don’t see it as a closing track, more of a bridge song that could have provided a more smooth transition between the bombastic 00s U2 of the middle trio and the return to Eno land of Fez-Being Born.

And yes, it’s potentially light years ahead of Vertigo.

this

I really love Winter. Not better than a lot of NLOTH but once I got past the Viva La Vida intro (which they would be stupid to keep in if they release it on record) it grew on me a lot. I think it's a beautiful song. Definitely needs some work, especially in the lyric department (though I really like the chorus), but as Earnie said, the potential is there.

summer sings in me no more ... that's such a U2 moment.

Yep. And you can’t really compare something like this (or even Mercy) to 100% finished album tracks. They’re both clearly work-in-progress. Both likely in a macro sense (structure) and micro (the finer points of the arrangement or production), and definitely have not gotten to the ready-for-album final spit and shine. They’re even likely well before what would be considered the final ‘take’, either the various parts or the vocal.

For any of these left off (Winter, Mercy) or later re-imagined songs (e.g. Xanax, Native Son) you need to use your imagination to make up the 10-20% of work clearly still remaining. So with that in mind, the idea and feel of Winter sound great to me. The structure clearly needs some straightening out. The lyrics could do with another draft. And the quality of the sound - arrangement, production, mixing, and likely even each band members parts – of course they’d get fixed up between this version and an album, so I don’t even really consider those.

Still haven't heard it.

Yeah, that is a hint.

If I have a PM with a link to a file I can actually download (10megs or less), then that wouldn't be the worst thing I could think of.

I almost want to "mix down" Winter to the quality of the Achtung recording session songs ("Feel Free," "Get You Down"), throw in a bunch of messy guitars, bono voice cracks, lyrics that stop mid-sentence, and treat the song as a work in progress.

In it's current form of being essentially finished I find Winter rather disappointing...

:hmm:

I almost want to "mix down" Winter to the quality of the Achtung recording session songs ("Feel Free," "Get You Down"), throw in a bunch of messy guitars, bono voice cracks, lyrics that stop mid-sentence, and treat the song as a work in progress.

In it's current form of being essentially finished I find Winter rather disappointing...

:hmm:

Yeah, I'm a bit confused as to the state of completion (or otherwise) of Winter. Presumably if it had made the album's final cut, then more work would have been done to it, but if it was really that unfinished, why was it put on the Linear film at all? Arguably every U2 song is 'unfinished' in one form or another, due to their notorious indecision. Eno describes a very different version of the song, but how do we know if it was better or not? I would guess that the version on the Linear film would be considered 'complete' at the time, but I would agree with those who said that this version would benefit from some constructive remixing (and shortening).

Winter is going to be in the movie "Brothers."

U2 cannot be serious in releasing that version to a film, some parts are finished, other parts are raw, and improve nearly. Bono's voice is going south in the last part, and its not unfinished like "Elvis Presley and America" if you know what I mean.

Bono has got to change the lyric "Butter on toast." Come on...

The tune has potential to me. I don't thing the string hits in the beginning are all that Coldplay like, and they have a more synth feel whereas Coldplay's were live strings recorded.

I would like to think a more ambient opening would suit this tune too, and open up to the thumping, crushing U2 chorus.

We shall see. Its really odd how they have treated this tune.

I don't know if that's the case anymore, I mean they are using Bad in the trailer, it would seem odd to have both songs associated with the movie.

I can't believe the same man who wrote Like A Song penned "to protect the ones/we put bullets in guns." What's even more inconceivable is that this particular line is not even the worst in the song. That being said, musically, Winter isn't the worst thing I've ever heard. Just bland and disjointed.

Might be among the top 30 best U2 songs this decade. :happy:

I can't believe the same man who wrote Like A Song penned "to protect the ones/we put bullets in guns." What's even more inconceivable is that this particular line is not even the worst in the song. That being said, musically, Winter isn't the worst thing I've ever heard. Just bland and disjointed.

Might be among the top 30 best U2 songs this decade. :happy:

i never thought anything was wrong with that line. i really don't understand all the hate for it.

i never thought anything was wrong with that line. i really don't understand all the hate for it.

Forced rhyme, Bono running over well-trod ground that he mastered ages ago, etc. It's just bad. Really bad. I'm not even going to mention his vocals during this section, because it's quite clear that the song is unfinished and they would have likely been redone (the same goes for the "butter on toast" line :lol: it's horrible, but they never would have kept that, mentioning it is a low blow). But the lyrical theme is well in place, and it's a retread. There's nothing new or gripping here. Decent imagery in spots, but the only line I truly enjoy is "At 21/I was born a son/And on that day I knew/I could kill." Even that one, though it reads well, sounds preachy in the context of the song. I have the same gripe with this song that I do with Native Son; the music and lyrics never quite coalesce.

I find it funny that people talks that this is U2 emulating Coldplay.
What I find funny is that this song is filled with U2-ADN... specially that Coldplay-ADN that is no more than Coldplay-emulates-U2-ADN.

Polish this song and it might be one of the best of the past 10 years.

If U2 is emulating Coldplay here, it doesn't really matter all that much, as the band is clearly just screwing around at this stage. The riff doesn't really go anywhere, there's no particular hook of any kind, the mixing is awful, the lyrics don't really feel finished...I can't even take this song seriously. I highly doubt U2 believes the version we were given is any sort of musical breakthrough either. Had this been released as the first single, maybe U2 using strings in an intro of one of their songs would be a bigger deal. As it is, you just have to laugh.

Back
Top Bottom