Winter is the best of the new songs to emerge - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Bad move to leave it off. They could have modified the intro so as not to sound like Coldplay, and it would fit perfectly on this album (I love this song, but I would chnage the intro, it is way too similar to a quite recent #1 hit)--cut Crazy, Suc, and White As Snow. And have two more solid songs that actually soar in the classic U2 sense. IMO, the omission of Winter, plus the abominations that are SUC and Crazy makes NLOTH their worst record IMO. Sure, it's a good album, but this is U2--The album lacks that consistent SOARING U2 vibe.

I have to say, U2 seems to be a bit out of touch on some decisions--cutting this song and adding SUC and Crazy to be more Top 40 was a really dumb move.--mostly because it was never going to work. They would have been better off pushing the envelope and partnering with Apple.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:35 AM
If the strings section had the same melody, but if it was more similar to a Craig Armstrong job, than to the Viva La Vida similarities, it would never cross anyone's mind that this was inspired by Coldplay and no one would dare to say that this is unfinished.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 AM
The band themselves say its unfinished, it has a lot more to be worked on than simply making the string melody different.

I don't think it works with NLOTH at all because its not all that personal, the rest of the lyrics very much are, even if WAS brings that dying soldier perspective there's still a lot Bono in there, as there are even in the 'character' pieces like Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller. Its a very spiritual and personal album, Winter doesn't fit, nor does its instrumentation fit with the rest of the sounds on the album (at least in its current form).
Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #49
The Fly

Local Time: 03:35 AM
(Reading thread title)

...are you serious?!?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Isn't it 'to protect the ones/who put bullets in guns'. Maybe it's just as preachy this way but at least it's not so messed-up sounding.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:35 AM
winter is the new mercy, only colder and shittier.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 01:35 AM
The way of some of you overblow average songs like "Winter" and "Mercy" is enough to make one think they were the new "Pride" and "With or Without You". I've listened to each track about twice, and feel no need to hear them again soon. Average stuff that merits a B-side release at best.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #53
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:35 AM
what if winter was mostly on purely instrumental - what if it was just sparsely filled with the opera vocal of the 3rd section throughout - I think it could work - musically (although nothing new or groundbreaking) it has something to say - the edges chimes just work on this song
Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:35 PM
Absolutely gorgeous song musically, if a little lazy lyrically. Should've been on the album, works wonderfully on Linear.

I love the Butter on Toast line, reminds me of a warm and homely breakfast, and induces a craving, something the soldier is unlikely to experience.