Will U2 be JUST RIGHT on this album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I have a sneaking suspicion that U2 are going to release this album right on time with a perfect blend of rock and emotion, witty lyrics and pop throw away. I'm really nervous that the album will be produced just right too.

What do you guys think?

Well on a serious note i think it looks to be like a Achtung/PopMart combination.

'hand played electro'

'back to the achtung baby days'

Or maybe thats just what i want to think :sexywink:

i just honestly hope they release a different type of single than vertigo..i hate to say it just from repetition but i would definitely enjoy them having the lead single be sort of a build up out-cry like "mercy".

This album is going to be spectacular! We all know Bono's exaggerating tendencies, but those aside, there will be true experimentation while still sounding uniquely U2. I have not put much stock in the beachclips or Morocco recordings as they were very early on in the process, so I have no idea as to specific songs. However, I really do think that Mercy will be the One so to speak of this album. In other words, the one song on the album that sounds like their recent albums(ATYCLB and Bomb) and the rest is very experimental. One is to AB:Mercy is to Fall 2008 album. Unlike some others here, I thought that ATYCLB was a good album, a nice return to U2 classic sound, but that HTDAAB was miles better and really a SPECTACULAR album. However, just like after JT/Rattle and Hum, it is time for a change. Everyone is saying that, and I tend to agree. Given the success of 2000-present material, so many other bands like Coldplay, Killers, Keane and Editors, even Linkin park have tried to copy their 21st century sound. The danger here is that U2 becomes some kind of boring template and makes casual music fans think that is all they are-the old guys setting the way. I have already gotten in my share of blowouts with friends who say something like coldplay and U2 are very similar. I always have to point out how coldplay could never do anything as hard hitting as Boy,War or AB and certainly never anything like Pop or Zooropa or anything as emotionally deep and spiritually complex as the Joshua Tree or UF. They can make dubious attempts at modeling ATYCLB and horrible attempts at HTDAAB type sound, that is it. Of course, none of these DMB stoner types know anything about early U2 or even AB. However, experiment and show once again what they are truly capable of, and then see if these pretenders of today can copy it. That to me is why it is vital that U2 change their sound and experiment more. It is not motivated by a dislike of the last two albums like it is for so many here. The last 2 albums have been great, the Vertigo tour was spectacular. U2 is in a different place now as a band, they recognize, as they have before, that what they were doing was best for them at the time, but they always look to what will be best for their overall performance as a band in the future. I can not wait for the fall.

scottyT said:
It is going to be everyone's favorite album ever.

for 3 weeks. Then it will be 50% of everyone's favorite album ever, for 6 more weeks. Then everyone will hate it except 5% will maintain it is their favorite album ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do get all the elements just right this time around

it's irrelevant how the album will be received as people have no taste

U2387 said:
This album is going to be spectacular! We all know Bono's exaggerating tendencies, but those aside, there will be true experimentation while still sounding uniquely U2. I have not put much stock in the beachclips or Morocco recordings as they were very early on in the process, so I have no idea as to specific songs. However, I really do think that Mercy will be the One so to speak of this album. In other words, the one song on the album that sounds like their recent albums(ATYCLB and Bomb) and the rest is very experimental. One is to AB:Mercy is to Fall 2008 album. Unlike some others here, I thought that ATYCLB was a good album, a nice return to U2 classic sound, but that HTDAAB was miles better and really a SPECTACULAR album. However, just like after JT/Rattle and Hum, it is time for a change. Everyone is saying that, and I tend to agree. Given the success of 2000-present material, so many other bands like Coldplay, Killers, Keane and Editors, even Linkin park have tried to copy their 21st century sound. The danger here is that U2 becomes some kind of boring template and makes casual music fans think that is all they are-the old guys setting the way. I have already gotten in my share of blowouts with friends who say something like coldplay and U2 are very similar. I always have to point out how coldplay could never do anything as hard hitting as Boy,War or AB and certainly never anything like Pop or Zooropa or anything as emotionally deep and spiritually complex as the Joshua Tree or UF. They can make dubious attempts at modeling ATYCLB and horrible attempts at HTDAAB type sound, that is it. Of course, none of these DMB stoner types know anything about early U2 or even AB. However, experiment and show once again what they are truly capable of, and then see if these pretenders of today can copy it. That to me is why it is vital that U2 change their sound and experiment more. It is not motivated by a dislike of the last two albums like it is for so many here. The last 2 albums have been great, the Vertigo tour was spectacular. U2 is in a different place now as a band, they recognize, as they have before, that what they were doing was best for them at the time, but they always look to what will be best for their overall performance as a band in the future. I can not wait for the fall.

This is a very interesting and insightful post. Will you please elaborate?

Mercy is a mediocre U2 song. The only reason it gets any praise is because it wasn't released. Why do we want U2 to keep attempting to recapture their anthemic Joshua Tree sound? Let them progress. I'm ready for the next sound.

Dalton said:
I have a sneaking suspicion that U2 are going to release this album right on time with a perfect blend of rock and emotion, witty lyrics and pop throw away. I'm really nervous that the album will be produced just right too.

What do you guys think?

I just DON'T KNOW, Dalton. I really DON'T. Why don't you post some MORE THREADS to this effect? Maybe I'll CHANGE my mind.

Dalton said:

This is a very interesting and insightful post. Will you please elaborate?

Thank you very much! Sure, no problem. I was a little unclear here:

Mercy is the "One" of the next album: Just as AB had One, the only track that really sounded like their previous stuff in any way, this album will have the very HTDAAB like Mercy and then a bunch of experimental stuff like AB did beyond One.

With the new bands, so many people think that U2 is just the most famous of a bunch of bands that sound alike. Contemporary music fans, college kids, etc, do not know anything about U2's early sound(though they got a little taste of it on Bomb) or how great their experimental stuff is. Some people say all U2 is doing now is running in place, etc. If they experiment again and show their brilliance, the argument that I and others are trying to make about how none of these bands I mentioned comes close to U2 will really be proved correct. U2 always picks up new fans with each albums, and this was true even w/ the relatively traditional rock and roll of bomb. This will be even more true, especially with younger music fans, if they experiment. It will give a whole new generation an appreciation for U2 and their music, while setting them apart from other bands and moving the bar for them to reach much higher and probably out of their reach! It will establish U2 as the undisputed standard, and it will give all the reasons for why this is true in the music. Critics will love it, established fans will love it, they will gain new fans, and casual music fans will enjoy it as well.

That is why I was saying I want the experiment. I do not want it out of some dislike for their recent work, it is some of their best work. Also, U2 talked alot about ATYCLB and HTDAAB being the right fit for their chemistry as a band at the time. Now, we are moving into a more experimental phase that is, according to all accounts from Bono and the boys, the best direction for this album to go in. Hope that helps :) I am a little long winded at times, I promise to work on that!

Interesting post 387 except that Mercy is not going to be on the new album.

Whenever a new U2 album is on the horizon, my approach is always the same: Pay no attention to what anybody says about the new album and just listen to the damn thing.

Works everytime.

MrPryck2U said:

Whenever a new U2 album is on the horizon, my approach is always the same: Pay no attention to what anybody says about the new album and just listen to the damn thing.

Works everytime.

Haha, that always works for me, too! I read/post about the stuff, but do not take most of it seriously as it is always speculation and they have never put out a bad album and have said they will not keep going if they feel like they are going to, so in short, I trust them! I will gladly buy and listen to whatever they put out. As for Mercy, we'll see, I love the song now, but I run hot and cold on it. It would be good but they could also live without it.

MrPryck2U said:

I thought Edge or somebody said that it will be and that it's not finished yet. If I remember correctly, a fan asked Edge about "Mercy" when they met him.

How would we know if U2 was "just right"? Not by visiting Interference, that's for sure! No matter how wonderfully amazing the next album is, there will be people who will whine about it.

I think the next album will be amazing and different. How many times have U2 made three albums in a row that sounded essentially the same? Zero. Their first three albums might fit this description in terms of style, but not entirely. Anyway, it's time for something different. ATYCLB was a "return to form," with HTDAAB taking it one step further. This can be said of JT, which was "American," leading to RH being more so; and AB being "experimental," leading to Zooropa. Pop was taking it too far in the one direction, so it was time to change again.

I am actually supposed to be writing a paper about Emily Dickinson right now, not a theory about U2 album sequences. :whistle:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom