Will there be a song dedicated to the city of NEW ORLEANS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It would be a great tribute to this fantastic city and to its beautiful history if they would make a cool blues song a la Angel Of Harlem. Kind of song which claims the original spirit of New Orleans....................

babyman said:
It would be a great tribute to this fantastic city and to its beautiful history if they would make a cool blues song a la Angel Of Harlem. Kind of song which claims the original spirit of New Orleans....................

But only if it fits in the album...

I'd hate to have this Fez Moroccan influenced album and then one blues song just for the hell of it.

Just depends on what they are insprired by, they've already let N.O. inspire them to do Saints, maybe it's still in them, maybe it's not...

Why do you think a New Orleans style song would be blues? There is much more to New Orleans music than blues and as it is very much based in African rhythms it could possibly fit real well with what they are doing.

Dana

Yeah, too, why not. I suggested blues because it's a genre they've already treated in the past. An African rhythm would be interesting, a fine one based on 6/8, would be cool!
They could take a bunch of musicians, too

New Orleans music would be more likely to come from Western Africa, like rock as a whole, while Morocco is considered Northern Africa, so, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they'd be that similar.

it all depends if the Saints can turn their season around. 0-2 is a tough deficit to be in.

mikal said:
it all depends if the Saints can turn their season around. 0-2 is a tough deficit to be in.

Indeed. How do all of those people who picked them as preseason favorites to win the superbowl feel right now? It could still happen, but i doubt it.

I believe the guys would put their whole heart in it, I still can not forget Edge's tears in an interview about New Orleans. They were really touched by it, could not be different, it's a normal human feeling............
But, I think U2 woudn't just write a song about New Orleans just to have their piece about.

There was an interview from a while ago that might help answer your thoughts.

Spinner.com: Has the New Orleans sound infiltrated U2's songwriting at a result of your time there?

Edge: I'm starting to hear little hints of it coming through. And this is such an early phase for us that it's hard to say definitively, "Yes, it's going to be a very noticeable element within the next songs that we work on." But I have seen it coming through, and I have no doubt that there will be an influence there.

Spinner.com: How has songwriting been going for the band?

Edge: I'd say really good. Of course, everything is great the day you write it. So it's only when you get back to it a couple of weeks later that you can actually see what is truly great and what is a case of just being too close to it at the time. But I do think a lot of what we're doing is good at the moment, so I'm very excited.
Source: http://www.spinner.com/2007/04/19/the-edge-rises-up-for-new-orleans/

Psh. The city song will be about Kansas City. I had a dream that told me so. Would my subconscious lie to you?

shart1780 said:
I hope not. These kinds of songs are nice and all, but sappy tributes very rarely turn out as anything very intriguing.

Yeah, like that little song called New Years Day and I seem to remember Sunday Bloody Sunday being about something.
Nobody really liked Red Hill Mining Town or One Tree Hill.
So I can't imagin them doing something none sappy about New Orleans.

sue4u2 said:
Yeah, like that little song called New Years Day and I seem to remember Sunday Bloody Sunday being about something.

What specific cities are those about? :huh:

There's a huge difference between New Year's Day and New York.

Axver said:

What specific cities are those about? :huh:

There's a huge difference between New Year's Day and New York.

New Year's Day is referencing the Polish Solidarity Movement and Lec Walesa, Sunday Bloody Sunday about Northern Ireland, One Tree Hill a tribute to Greg Carroll, so it is not inconceivable that they could right a song in tribute to the Katrina situation in New Orleans and the gulf coast. That is what the original poster is talking about. U2 have done many songs in tribute to people, places or events so there is no reason to think a tribute in this case would be sappy as someone else posted. While some of their tribute songs may not have been hugely popular I can't think of one that is sappy.

Dana

rihannsu said:
New Year's Day is referencing the Polish Solidarity Movement and Lec Walesa

Solidarity and Walesa are cities now?

Sunday Bloody Sunday about Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland may be a geographical entity, but it's definitely not a city.

One Tree Hill a tribute to Greg Carroll, so it is not inconceivable that they could right a song in tribute to the Katrina situation in New Orleans and the gulf coast.

There's a huge difference between a song mourning the death of dear friend based upon the mythology of his culture and a "city song" that is dedicated as a tribute to a place, like Miami, New York, or COBL.

One Tree Hill really shouldn't be mentioned in this context. The song is not actually about the place. It is about One Tree Hill as an important symbol within the mythology of Maori tribes in the Auckland area. The song about Greg Carroll did not have to be about a place, it could have drawn on any number of Maori myths; it just so happened that Bono had a strong memory of visiting One Tree Hill with Carroll and thus employed that mythological symbol. That's not at all on the level of a city song about New Orleans.

City songs off the top of my head:

North And South of The River - I'm not sure which city it's about but definately an Irish or Northern Irish city since the song clearly is about the Troubles.
With a Shout (Jerusalem) - Jerusalem
Sunday Bloody Sunday - Inspired by the awful "Bloody Sundays" throughout Irish history in different cities.
The Unforgettable Fire - Nakasaki and Hiroshima
Where The Streets Have No Name - Bono's experiences in Addis Ababa and at the orphanage in Ethiopia.
Running To Stand Still - Ballymun, Dublin
Silver and Gold - Johannesburg
Angel of Harlem - New York
Zoo Station - Berlin
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Possibly Berlin considering the connection to the movie and the video.
Miss Sarajevo - Sarajevo
Miami - Miami
Please - Another song about the Troubles that mentions several stuff that happens in Irish and Northern Irish cities.
Peace On Earth - Omagh bombings obviously
New York - New York
The Hands That Built America - New York, post 9/11
City Of Blinding Lights - Said several times to be about New York
Yahweh - Jerusalem

The_Edge89 said:
City songs off the top of my head:

North And South of The River - I'm not sure which city it's about but definately an Irish or Northern Irish city since the song clearly is about the Troubles.
With a Shout (Jerusalem) - Jerusalem
Sunday Bloody Sunday - Inspired by the awful "Bloody Sundays" throughout Irish history in different cities.
The Unforgettable Fire - Nakasaki and Hiroshima
Where The Streets Have No Name - Bono's experiences in Addis Ababa and at the orphanage in Ethiopia.
Running To Stand Still - Ballymun, Dublin
Silver and Gold - Johannesburg
Angel of Harlem - New York
Zoo Station - Berlin
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Possibly Berlin considering the connection to the movie and the video.
Miss Sarajevo - Sarajevo
Miami - Miami
Please - Another song about the Troubles that mentions several stuff that happens in Irish and Northern Irish cities.
Peace On Earth - Omagh bombings obviously
New York - New York
The Hands That Built America - New York, post 9/11
City Of Blinding Lights - Said several times to be about New York
Yahweh - Jerusalem

Not really going to get into it but ALOT of that is very debatable. Stay was originally titled "Sinatra" so I dont think its about Berlin, just as one example.

I think the intent and title of the thread is a song about a specific city. Not a country, region or event.

sue4u2 said:

So I can't imagin them doing something none sappy about New Orleans.

Well, I love One Tree Hill, but I very rarely listen to the others. And I don't trust U2 to make songs like those anymore. I'm afraid of something like The Saints Are coming.

The Saints are coming is a great example of how you can make a tribute to something or someone and NOT be sappy! I take tribute songs like this from U2 any day.

Back
Top Bottom