Will Lanois and Eno OVER-PRODUCE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
It's clear many people dislike the over-production U2 has been guilty of, paticularly with the HTDMAAB(which I'd have to agree with on that one)

So are Lanois and Eno the right producers to make sure the album doesn't have all of Jacknife Lee's "bugs" and Lillywhite's "space noises?"

I recall back to ATYCLB and Lanois and ENo defintely had some over-produced moments on a few numbers. But for the most part it feel much more real than HTDMAAB.

I hope they've listened close to the last album, and learned from its mistakes.

I pray this album isn't watered down by studio effects. Let the rawness of the "jams" come out!!!! Let The Edge's guitar and Bono's naked voice fill the speaker, uninhibited by Eno's synth's and trinkets and Lanois' thicks vocal pourings

Well this has been talked to death in many scattered threads, the only answer we have is: no one knows?

Was Bomb the direction U2 wanted to go or is this what producers are doing these days? What are Eno/Lanois thinking these days?

WE DON'T KNOW.

I think YOUR overthinking this whole album. Eno/Lanois has been with U2 since, forever and the know what will sound right. Take a break and listen to some other bands...

Visiongfx said:
I think YOUR overthinking this whole album. Eno/Lanois has been with U2 since, forever and the know what will sound right. Take a break and listen to some other bands...

Visiongfx said:

Visiongfx said:

Visiongfx said:

:lock:

Moser said:

How the hell are we supposed to know?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
the only answer we have is: no one knows?

WE DON'T KNOW.

..........hmmm, I think you two have covered almost everything relating to the new album, well done :up:

wow....this poor thread never really even had a chance to take flight.....:sad:

Last edited:
Rob33 said:

..........hmmm, I think you two have covered almost everything relating to the new album, well done :up:

wow....this poor thread never really even had a chance to take flight.....:sad:

Ehhhh, who even asked you Robb33?

Eh, how many more threads do you want to start with the "Oh My God could it be that U2 is doing everything wrong with their new album!!!!!!!!" theme? Bored? Listen to other music and take some courses in positive thinking.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Ehhhh, who even asked you Robb33?

I think you're taking this a little too seriously......BUT DAMN, vision's comment was a little worse than mine I'd say.......haha

Last edited:
Eno / Lanois are great producers and usually keep U2 in a direction the band wants to go in , allowing the studio to be an instrument , but I really prefer when Lillywhite gets in there , he has produced / mixed more of my favorite tracks , and more of a Rock / Live sound , as well as some of their best and most recognized singles

just my opinion :wave:

Who knows, man? Stuck In A Moment on first listen sounded overproduced. But yet it is nothing compared to the butchering of ABOY or Crumbs. So it's hard to tell. And Lillywhite hasn't always been the culprit. He produced their first 3 albums just fine!

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Oh and Dismantle is one word. ;)

HTDAAB was overproduced? Yes

Was ATYCLB overproduced? Yes

But the sad thing is they didn't pay enough attention to produce properly the vocals. How come they allowed that crappy vocal takes?.

A millionth hours spent on guitars, keyboards, sounds effects, ambient, etc, etc, but some Bono vocals sounds like being recorded at 4 am with the flu after a hard party :down:

Is that the so called "emotional" effect on voice?. No, that's just crap

ponkine said:

But the sad thing is they didn't pay enough attention to produce properly the vocals. How come they allowed that crappy vocal takes?.

A millionth hours spent on guitars, keyboards, sounds effects, ambient, etc, etc, but some Bono vocals sounds like being recorded at 4 am with the flu after a hard party :down:

No, you're thinking about Pop...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

to be fair to all three albums in question, i feel like to an extent that voice worked well on pop. last night on earth chorus is pretty weak though and bono admits that himself.

i have no problem with the lyrical takes on either all that you can't leave behind or atomic bomb.

i just hope that new news, new rumors, new information , new anything gets leaked soon just so we can discuss something else- but in the end it'll all tie into the Pop vs. past 2 albums debate anyway so whats it all worth

ponkine said:
HTDAAB was overproduced? Yes

Was ATYCLB overproduced? Yes

I agree with this. I hate Bono's voice on A Little While, and his voice is pretty chewed up on Beautiful Day. There are tons of live versions I've heard that are a lot better. I read that they used to like to do Bono's main vocals in one take, but it might be time to start doing it a little more piece meal if we can get stronger vocals. I'm hoping they can milk a strong falsetto out of him again.

burningedge101 said:

I agree with this. I hate Bono's voice on A Little While, and his voice is pretty chewed up on Beautiful Day. There are tons of live versions I've heard that are a lot better. I read that they used to like to do Bono's main vocals in one take, but it might be time to start doing it a little more piece meal if we can get stronger vocals. I'm hoping they can milk a strong falsetto out of him again.

In a Little While was suppose to have that voice, it's a song about being hung over...

Bono's voice wasn't his strongest during Pop and Elevation days, but it's improved so much since then, and obviously he can do a falsetto in the studio these days...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

In a Little While was suppose to have that voice, it's a song about being hung over...

Bono's voice wasn't his strongest during Pop and Elevation days, but it's improved so much since then, and obviously he can do a falsetto in the studio these days...

Unfortunately, his falsetto sounds too breathy and weak the majority of the time. I really miss that fat lady.

What if the next album is under-produced?

Off beat kick drum hits?

Out of tune guitar overdubs?

Bass flubs?

Off key vocals?

Slapnutz said:

Unfortunately, his falsetto sounds too breathy and weak the majority of the time. I really miss that fat lady.

Windows? Regardless if you like the song or not, no one can say that falsetto sounds too weak...

Bono's voice it totally perfect for "In a little while". I love it.

As for the rest of the album, it's true that his vocals weren't great around that time, and the Elevation tour proved that even more.

It's been improving much since then, last album was much better, as was the tour.

BUT what I would really LOVE to hear, and I so hope they'll be going with that, is Bono singing more in his low register. Many songs they are recording are in a key that is too high for his voice or he's not singing them in the right key. I love his low register and I hope we get to hear more of that in the future.

I've never been a big fan of falsettos, not only with Bono, but other singers as well. There may be some exceptions, where it's really working out, but nothing is worse than a falsetto that's not really working. I wasn't fond of it back in the 90s and I won't be too sad to not hear it again. But that's just my personal opinion.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Windows? Regardless if you like the song or not, no one can say that falsetto sounds too weak...
Granted, his falsetto around the 2.30 mark ('Oh can't you see?') is quite impressive. But the rest? Not so much.

How did Lillywhite overproduce? To my ears he stripped off a few unnecessary layers of Native Son and got a better drum sound. I mean, I enjoy hearing the original version, but I think Vertigo benefited from his involvement. And I like SYCMIOYO with the falsetto part, which he pushed Bono towards. What is it about his touch that bothers you? Would you have preferred a Chris Thomas-produced record?

I'm not arguing, just making conversation! :wave:

Slapnutz said:

Granted, his falsetto around the 2.30 mark ('Oh can't you see?') is quite impressive. But the rest? Not so much.

But that isnt near the high falsetto on the hth snippet on 2006-11-18 - Vertigo. Its an E5 :drool: The only falsetto that is higher then that is the falsetto in the end of 1989-12-26 - Dublin - WTSHNN, it an F5, then a shorter even higher note F#5. So Bonos falsetto is very good for the moment. He started to sing the word "child" in falsetto on MW on the 5th leg of Vertigo tour.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'll take the ragged Bono of the last two albums that can still soar when necessary over "I'm on helium" Pop Bono.

Back
Top Bottom