Will Lanois and Eno OVER-PRODUCE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwtape2 said:
Put simply you can't over-produce an album. Production implies a gentle construction of sound in the form of a record. If an album sucks like Bomb it is a lack of production not an overproduction.

No, it's very possible to overwork art, it happens all the time.

How does production imply "gentle construction"?

A good indication of the production on eno's behalf might be the new coldplay album. Theres also 'here is what is' for lanois. This is the only available equation regarding the topic of this thread. both records were made during the new u2 album time frame and thats all we can consider, the past is the past. So this thread shouldnt even be posted in until june when we have both variables. Possibly sooner if coldplays new single is enough to go by.

The whole term "over-produced" is complete b.s.

Over produced compared to what? And who sets the standard as to what is a "normal" point of production? Is anything ever under produced? And who makes that call?

So very stupid. A band and/or its producer produce the album to the point they are happy with. I guess to you as an individual it might be "over-produced" but that is based on your sole opinion, not some universal standard.

the production is pretty crisp on htdaab imho. It gives off the effect reminiscent of when a bomb goes off and you can hear anything clearly for a second then it all clears up drastically. You may need a nice sound set up to fully appreciate it...

After careful thought, I've decided that, yes, they are going to over produce. And gosh darn it, they're gonna like it.

This is all premised on the IMHO, BS idea that HTDAAB sucks. Outside of Joshua Tree, War and Achtung Baby, it is their best album. It takes elements of U2's entire career and makes them relevant and current. It explores many of the sounds and themes of their early albums and as such, is an even better representation of the melodic traditional U2 sound. As for overproduction, I agree w/ zoocoustic, there is no universal standard for this. The sound in HTDAAB perfectly fits with what they are trying to convey, and it was not really tweaked much live save Yahweh, but that was just a run of the mill switch to acoustic from album instrumental. Structurally, all songs were the same live, the production was fine. As others have said, Eno and Lanois know U2 better than anyone, have produced all of their best experimental and traditional work, and I just would not worry that much about them. In fact, I have all the confidence in the world in them, U2 has never produced a bad album, ever. Their weakest ones, IMHO, October and Pop have even sold well, had hits and half the tracks on each album I absolutely love. So its not like I do not think they are good albums. And that is their weakest work!

One more thing about the overproduction- the same guys produced JT, AB, all of their best work, and the first time we hear about 'overproduction' is ATYCLB?? Then everyone is out after Bomb for the worst case of overproduction anywhere. I truly do not get it whatsoever, and think that complaining about overproduction overlooks the fact that they have been doing the same stuff w/ the same guys their whole careers. Its just we have a place to bitch about it now w/ the internet. No one will ever be satisfied. If you ask my gut feeling: All those who accuse Bomb of overproduction are simply dissatisfied with the continuation of the traditional U2 rock sound from 1980s and ATYCLB, that is all. Too bad, I say! The band will do as they wish, they are the ones who write and perform the songs, that is what worked at the time. They will experiment again, and I eagerly await that too. However, people got pissed and tried to rush them into it w/ Bomb. It took until UF for them to significantly change their sound, and then again until AB, and still again until ATYCLB. They like to find a niche, work the sound, develop it, and when they are reasonably satisfied they have done it enough and could do something a little different and be better, they experiment. That is what we will see in the fall!

Zoocoustic said:
The whole term "over-produced" is complete b.s.

Over produced compared to what? And who sets the standard as to what is a "normal" point of production? Is anything ever under produced? And who makes that call?

So very stupid. A band and/or its producer produce the album to the point they are happy with. I guess to you as an individual it might be "over-produced" but that is based on your sole opinion, not some universal standard.

Oh please.... not more of the "but it's just your opinion" junk. Everything we say here about the music is based off of opinion. You're using the U2 can do no wrong line of reasoning just like so many people here love to do. I don't care if the band and producers thought Bomb sounded good, it didn't. I'm questioning their judgment and I have absolutely no problems with that. Most of my problems with the album don't even have anthing to do with production, but with boring song writing. Many people complain about ATYCLB a ton but I like the songs on that album a lot. It's way better than Bomb.

Oh sorry, in my opinion.

To think sometimes I actually wonder why I left this part of the forums...

...silly me.

U2387 said:
This is all premised on the IMHO, BS idea that HTDAAB sucks. Outside of Joshua Tree, War and Achtung Baby, it is their best album. It takes elements of U2's entire career and makes them relevant and current. It explores many of the sounds and themes of their early albums and as such, is an even better representation of the melodic traditional U2 sound.

Amen:wink:

Zoocoustic said:

That was going to be my question, actually.
What are they hearing when they say overproduced?
What is underproduced?
I guess I just don't get it. and don't think I want too.

Back
Top Bottom