Will.i.am worked with U2 on new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is anyone else bothered

by the fact that will.i.am may be featured on or may have produced a song on the new U2 album?
I find this very troubling.

It seems everyone and their mother is more than a little concerned about it...

People, reserve your judgement until you've heard the song!

yes I'm bothered even if he only had the smallest part to do with it.

I'm sick of U2 with these hip hop/pop/whatever artists.

First touring with Kanye West...give me a f***n break. That guy is such an arrogant jerk.

Then that crap version of One with Mary J Blige

Now this guy.

agreed about the starting of a thread. it's really not that hard to use the search feature. in doing so, you would have found at least 2 existing threads that you could have replied to.

i hate to sound anal about this, but i only imagine it getting worse the closer we get to the new album.

First touring with Kanye West...give me a f***n break. That guy is such an arrogant jerk.

Now this guy.

You sound like my Grandfather.

agreed about the starting of a thread. it's really not that hard to use the search feature. in doing so, you would have found at least 2 existing threads that you could have replied to.

i hate to sound anal about this, but i only imagine it getting worse the closer we get to the new album.

Yeah, this place is going to be bursting at the seems with extraneous threads the closer we get to March 2 (and after!).

Meh I'm doing my best but there's only so much I can do. Reporting the duplicate threads is helpful though. :up:

Meh I'm doing my best but there's only so much I can do. Reporting the duplicate threads is helpful though. :up:

You're doing great! The double threads have been disappearing in a matter of minutes.

Now this guy.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Good grief get a grip.

ps your order of events is a bit off. There was this tour, see, back in, oh, '91, where this group opened for U2..you might have heard of 'em..

^ yeah, same old same old. No matter what they do, someone will complain. This was probably for the smallest mixing role to help knit the song in with the theme of the album

^phew... i dont fancy taking my laptop to hospital with me when my bladder explodes...

speaking of food... lunch time! back in 30

^ And with that post, I have concluded that you haven't the slightest fucking clue what you are talking about. You don't actually know how MJB sang the song, you probably didn't even watch it, and your alleged instances of remorse on Bono's part have absolutely nothing to do with him performing One w/MJB for the Katrina benefit.

And what is this crap about singing scales? Do you mean sight reading? Do you even know what that technique refers to? Given what I know about MJBs career, I'd be willing to almost bet my last penny that not only did she not start like that, she doesn't sing like that now. I don't even know if she's classically trained, or if she is now she certainly didn't start out that way. And even if that were the case, that would mean that she was on key and Bono was off-key. A completely insane assertion. That is why I said she is very much like Bono in her respective genre, she sings with her ear and lets go. Have you ever read what Chaka Khan has said about her? Now...does Alicia keys sight read? I don't doubt it whatsoever, because she IS classically trained. But I'd be willing to bet she can also just listen to a song and nail it, she's very talented.

Bono and MJB sang it T-O-G-E-T-H-E-R. Live. Many times over during the Vertigo tour. The vocals from the single were also both from a live stage in Toronto, with two singers standing beside each other hearing the same thing, each others voices in their in ear monitors. Bono was not singing to her studio recording or vice versa. The single version was the first time they had done it together on a stage (other than soundcheck practice, obviously), but it clearly wasn't the first time she had heard the song, given her reinterpretation (which, again, would not correlate to her singing from scales), and they actually got in better sync as the tour progressed and she made her occasional appearance.

Your 'guide' needs to get out of the fucking classroom, clearly. MJB is called an RnB singer. Bono is called a rock singer. Both of their songs have become popular and have fallen into the pop category by virtue of volume of sales, not genre per se. How the fuck your 'guide' thinks that Joss Stone and Lauryn Hill are not "pop singers" and are more RnB than MJB is beyond comprehension.

Then again anyone who says that Annie Lennox and Carole King are "pop singers" and then in the next breath says that pop singers don't have great voices (thereby rendering Annie Lennox and Carole King into the category of those without great voices) needs their head checked. And Paul McCartney isn't a "pop singer"? :lol:

I know I don't know anything about music, that's why when I refer to something it's from a good qualified source and not something that I just made up. I'm only telling you what a fan of RnB told me, that Mary uses scales. How do you explain her singing on key and him singing off key? She may not be reading the scales on stage but she could have memorized them, as you say she must have learnt the song beforehand.

And you don't have to be classically trained to read scales, I learnt it when I was used to take piano lessons. Heck, everyone learnt scales when we were at school, and this was before GCSE level. I'm sure most of my former classmates have forgotten them now, but it's not really much of a biggie. I still remember that saying that helped us remember the notes that sat on the lines with the treble clef: Every Good Boy Deserves Football, or EGBD. It's hardly rocket science. If the band wanted to they could pick up a thin easy to follow guide from any bookshop (just like the numourous I saw when I was in the music section in a bookshop on Saturday). Pay a tenner for it, read it and learn it over Christmas. And as long as they use scales when they're writing music from now on then they can say that they can read music.

But after reading what you said I don't think that was the problem. More likely there was a bad feed that Bono was received through his monitors. Do you remember Live 8 during the opening of Sgnt Pepper whereby Paul McCartney sang off key and Bono was singing on? That was a bit of a messy day for whoever was in the sound control booth but it happened to a few of the singers that day. Maybe that recording was more to do with something like that.

And Donna Sotto Moriettini knows what she's on about what it comes to music genre's because she studied music at masters level. Joss Stone has an instinctively recognizable voice, Mary doesn't. She says most journelists an music retailers make up genre's.

1. More rambling mostly unsubstantiated conjecture, up to reading my post you didn't have a clue about the song, how and when it was performed, and you still don't.

2. Masters in music or no masters in music, any idiot who asserts what you say your guide has said has no clue either.

I'm done.

And, oh yeah, I guess the news is true, Will.I.Am helped with production. OMFG the sky is falling. Please don't buy the album since you're so sick of U2 selling out, and extra please don't queue up for tickets, all the more left for people who want them. :up:

Back
Top Bottom