wild speculation: could U2 unveil new songs at inauguration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually live right outside of DC and I plan on getting the heck out of the area for the weekend. It's gonna be nuts! But I'll be punching myself in the face if this ends up being true!

I highly doubt U2 would play, and if Bono wants to keep his bi-partisan efforts up, then the band shouldn't play or show up. It's simply not necessary.

Oh bummer! You should try and go!!!! I am so lucky that my cousin works just a few blocks away from the Capital building. We are going to try and camp out at her office the night before. If not we plan on taking the train from Virginia where she lives. Ya, it's going to be insane but it will be amazing and so historic and worth every hassle!

Can't you take the train? Even if you can't get anywhere near the stage, I am sure you heard about all the giant screens they are putting up around the mall so everyone there can see/hear the swearing in ceremony! I am so excited I can't stand it!!
I can feel in my gut that Bono will be there.... I mean, I know it's a long shot to think U2 will actually play but I am pretty darn sure he will be there in the background at least out of sight. It's so historic how could he not? Wouldn't it be amazing if they played PRIDE up there on the platform?? Can you imagine????!!! I was thinking that the night he won the election too!! U2 playing PRIDE and then he walks out! gawwwhh...:drool:
Oh and Monday the day before is MLK jr's birthday too! And Sunday the day before that is Lincoln's birthday.
Weirdness! Isn't that cool?
Obama is doing a whistle stop train ride down the eastern coast that weekend in route to DC celebrating along the way with grassroots people on the train. Awesome huh?
And the Obama's are also organizing a day of service on Monday encouraging everyone who shows up to work in the community there to give back!! That's is just incredible. Finally, a president who really is for the people!! I am so excited, sorry for my ramble.:reject:

Don't let anyone curb your enthusiasm,:wink:
Be sure to take something you can report back with.
Interference's own roving reporter. I wish I could join you. :up:

I highly doubt U2 would play, and if Bono wants to keep his bi-partisan efforts up, then the band shouldn't play or show up. It's simply not necessary.

Well to honest, he really wouldn't have to "keep up" his bi-partisan efforts...

He doesn't have to kiss any Republicans ass for at least 2 years(but probably longer), and honestly how is playing going to effect that status? Let's say a Republican gets elected in 2016, do you really think he/she is going to say but you played Obama's inauguration? Will Bono be doing the politicking still?

I think the only thing Bono needs to be careful about as far as the bi-partisan thing is not to badmouth anyone, or come too heavily down on divisive issues...

Bono and Edge played at the Clinton library opening (really cool versions of THTBA and SBS) ... this wouldn't be any "worse" than that.

If it happened, it would be awesome since I'm going to DC. My birthday + U2's new single + President Obama = ultimate bliss.

What a joke, not only is this all poor taste but U2 does'nt need something like this to launch a song or an album, get a grip!

I predicted this about 2 months ago. It's always made perfect sense to me. Remember Automatic Baby at Clinton's inauguration? I think there will be something. It may not be a live performance, but I'm convinced there will be something.

Rolling Stone ALL Artist Album Song Login | New User

Try 4 Free Issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Springsteen Reportedly Set to Play Obama Pre-Inauguration Event
1/7/09, 2:45 pm EST

Photo: Raedle/Getty

According to reports, Bruce Springsteen will perform at Barack Obama’s inauguration welcome week event at Washington D.C.’s National Mall on January 18th. According to the Washington Post, the concert will take place on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and be free to the public. Springsteen’s performance in the days leading up to the January 20th inauguration should come as no surprise, given that the singer was one of rock’s biggest Obama supporters on the campaign trail. Springsteen performed a handful of Obama benefits, and even joined Barack during a campaign stop in Cleveland. There was also that benefit concert in New York with Billy Joel and shows in the swing states of Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio.

“Senator Obama, in my view, is head and shoulders above the rest. He has the depth, the reflectiveness, and the resilience to be our next President,” Springsteen said in his endorsement letter to fans in April 2008. “He speaks to the America I’ve envisioned in my music for the past 35 years, a generous nation with a citizenry willing to tackle nuanced and complex problems, a country that’s interested in its collective destiny and in the potential of its gathered spirit.”

The Obama inauguration show in D.C. is the first chapter in what promises to be a busy few weeks for the Jersey rocker: His new album Working on a Dream is due out on January 27th, and then Springsteen will head to Tampa, Florida to headline the Super Bowl Halftime Show on February 1st. For an in-depth preview of Working on a Dream from RS‘ David Fricke, check out the current Bush-taunting issue of Rolling Stone, on stands now

Reading this article (below) and thinking about the timing of U2's new single, and the fact that Obama is a huge U2 fan and used their music at the Democratic convention and while on the campaign trail all last year, makes me wonder -- COULD it be that U2 will be one of the surprise rock acts in D.C. next week?

NO

The article makes no mention of U2. It mentions Bono. It's possible Bono could show up and do something. Maybe a duet with someone else.

No, they will not play new songs.

But Bono will not be able to keep himself from performing SOMETHING. Sorry, but Bono doesn't have that much restraint. At an event like this, it will be a familiar song, maybe with a new arrangement. COBL, since it's an Obama favorite or One - maybe Beautiful Day.

The rest of the band dont get too involved in political affairs directly. Bono may perform a song on his own with an orchestra or something, like the arragement they did with Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad....that would be great :) I would bet on One or something along those lines.

Well to honest, he really wouldn't have to "keep up" his bi-partisan efforts...

He doesn't have to kiss any Republicans ass for at least 2 years(but probably longer), and honestly how is playing going to effect that status? Let's say a Republican gets elected in 2016, do you really think he/she is going to say but you played Obama's inauguration? Will Bono be doing the politicking still?

I think the only thing Bono needs to be careful about as far as the bi-partisan thing is not to badmouth anyone, or come too heavily down on divisive issues...

Fair enough - I'd still see U2 stay away from something like this though. Yes, I'm a Republican, and I'd say the same if it were McCain elected. I think it's unnecessary and a bit hokey. Maybe if they were American.

Can we say 2012 for the Republican for the White House? Give me some hope buddy. :wink:

Anyway, I don't think they will and as I've said, I'd rather they not.

Fair enough - I'd still see U2 stay away from something like this though. Yes, I'm a Republican, and I'd say the same if it were McCain elected. I think it's unnecessary and a bit hokey. Maybe if they were American.

Can we say 2012 for the Republican for the White House? Give me some hope buddy. :wink:

Anyway, I don't think they will and as I've said, I'd rather they not.

It is very hokey but celebrities love jumping on this bandwagon. I wouldn't put it past Bono to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom