Wide Awake in Europe DISCUSSION ONLY - No Email Requests!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on the Wide Awake in Europe songs.

DO NOT POST EMAIL REQUESTS IN THIS THREAD

Do you think people will actually read that? And then act accordingly?
:p

Anyway, nothing to discuss. We heard the live versions on YouTube (or Artificial Horizon), we've seen the pictures of the sleeve. And it's just a question of wanting this item! :drool:

It's worked (more or less) with other releases in the past, where there've been separate threads for requests and discussion. :shrug:

I'm sure starting tomorrow the thread will be for people to talk about if they found it or not. Which is all well and good. I fully hope to be able to come in here tomorrow and be all ZOMG YAY. :wink:

Do you think people will actually read that? And then act accordingly?
:p

Anyway, nothing to discuss. We heard the live versions on YouTube (or Artificial Horizon), we've seen the pictures of the sleeve. And it's just a question of wanting this item! :drool:

You're such a joy! :happy:

Ok, thoughts:
Well, firstly, thanks to everyone who emailed me the link to download, i'm very grateful! :D
Sadly, i don't really like the recording of Mercy - it's the quality mainly, it just sounds... wrong. I have bootlegs that are better quality! Well, they may not be as clear, but they certainly bring out the instruments a whole lot more! Anyone else think Mercy sounds kind of... off?
Secondly, it's not my favourite performance - i hate the way the drums stop and start during the chorus, i preferred the performances where Larry kept the solid pounding drum beat throughout the song... it made the chorus much stronger imo.
Bono also isn't at his best vocally, he makes a mistake early on, and sounds weaker compared to other performances.
I'm sad to say it, but this version sucks - i never thought i'd be choosing to listen to a bootleg over an official release! :down:
Nonetheless, thanks a lot to those who emailed it to me! :hug:

I just found out that one of the two shops in Seattle opens at 9 tomorrow, which is perfect. I hit one at 9, the other at 10, and hopefully will have what I need.

Bring it on! I love a challenge. :lol:

I hadn't listened to the later-in-the-leg Mercy performances, it seems the lyrics were altered, and while they aren't a patch on my hallowed 2004 version, they're much improved from the debut of 2010 Mercy, and the sound is great. We already had Crazy Tonight, and had heard MOS' recording on YouTube, but MOS sounds so :drool: good :drool:.

We shall see if I get myself a copy, there's only a few participating stores within striking distance... and they don't strike me as especially U2-friendly.

I just got mine! My record store had like 30 copies, but they said one per customer, and they weren't expecting any to be left tomorrow :angry:

Maybe I'll get my wife to go in and buy another one :)

I got mine this morning too when the store opened at 8:30 - marvelocity, are you in NYC because the store I went to had at least 30 too (it is one of the larger and more mainstream stores participating) - I was 18th in line and got ticket #15 for WAIE, and the line behind me was at least twice as long as in front of me so they were probably out by 10. Mine is #2564. :)

I got mine this morning too when the store opened at 8:30 - marvelocity, are you in NYC because the store I went to had at least 30 too (it is one of the larger and more mainstream stores participating) - I was 18th in line and got ticket #15 for WAIE, and the line behind me was at least twice as long as in front of me so they were probably out by 10. Mine is #2564. :)

No, Syracuse, NY. Believe it or not, there were only six other people waiting outside, and only one other guy was getting WAIE. And the store opened at 10am! He was looking through the serial numbers for the lowest one, he got #0460. I didn't care, so I ended up with #2092.

I got mine this morning when the store opened only a few people there. They had seven copies limit of one per customer. They were gone in a few minutes. I got #5304.:applaud:

Mississippi - my store had 2 copies. I asked if it was rude to buy both and she said "absolutely not...you were the only one here waiting when we opened..they're yours!"

Woo!

2542 and 2544

The Mercy-version is a disappointment for me. The quality is just fine and I really like that for once the bass is emphasized in the mix, but Bono's voice is very weak on this one. If I were to choose I'd much rather have the Rome-version released (although the concert may've been too late to be able to release anything from it), that one was amazing.

However, both Crazy Tonight and MoS are :drool:.

Got mine!!!! I honestly didn't think I'd be able to get it. We only have two regional chains in this city, and one is more indie than the other. I called the less indie one first, when they opened to the public (they opened 30 minutes earlier to their special discount purchasing card holders, I don't have a card). They said they'd gotten 8 copies in, and had 4 left, and would set me aside a copy. I raced there to get it.

They'd only sell me one, though. I asked for a second, but no dice, and there were only two people working and they both saw me, so I couldn't leave and come back and get another.

I told a guy from here who traded tickets with me last year that I'd try to get him a copy. I'm an internet loser and Interference jerk that way. :wink: I still have feelers out in a couple of other stores that won't be getting stock in till later today or early next week, so if one of those pans out, he can have that copy.

I can't believe it. I really didn't think I'd get one. :) Good luck to everyone else! Fingers crossed for you all.

Oh, I got #1640. :)

No, Syracuse, NY. Believe it or not, there were only six other people waiting outside, and only one other guy was getting WAIE. And the store opened at 10am! He was looking through the serial numbers for the lowest one, he got #0460. I didn't care, so I ended up with #2092.

Ah, OK. The store I went to was the earliest opener, virtually all of the others open between 11 and 1. There were a lot of people there pretty much picking up all of the RSD specials just to flog on eBay :p, fortunately they had a limit in sales of one of each release per customer.

Back
Top Bottom