Wide Awake in Europe DISCUSSION ONLY - No Email Requests!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, really. I have a pretty lightweight phono cartridge, don't know if that's the issue.

I have the U2.com MP3s and Artificial Horizon so I'm not that worried about it. :shrug:

Yeah like I said I'm not worried about it either. I'm glad to have a copy. And I did think it sounded like a problem in manufacturing since I couldn't see anything wrong with the disc. You having the same problem kind of confirms that. Since many people aren't actually playing their copies, it's possible there are a lot more out there.

Wow, I checked my order status from the Record Exchange and it said my order shipped! :yippie:

I had given up on getting this.

Ordered three copies from Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey on November 4th after getting a heads up on it from friends in France.
One for me, two for the French fans.

The package arrived today:

8yf9mu.jpg

2lkfdck.jpg

iond05.jpg

Not sure which one to keep....

None of my other records skip, only this one. :shrug: Not sure if it's the stylus or not but this is the only album I have with the issue. I suppose I could try weighting it down a bit to check?

Ordered three copies from Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey on November 4th after getting a heads up on it from friends in France.
One for me, two for the French fans.

The package arrived today:

8yf9mu.jpg

2lkfdck.jpg

iond05.jpg

Not sure which one to keep....

Ha 0031 ordered from the internet?

Guess that serves me right for getting up early to go get my own copy!

Hmph.

Ha 0031 ordered from the internet?

Guess that serves me right for getting up early to go get my own copy

Yeah, I was surprised they even sold these records online, it kind of defeats the purpose of RSD, doesn't it. I was sure my order would get cancelled.

Then, I was surprised to get such low numbers. I guess ordering them early helped, though I'm not sure the stockboy who packed the albums at Vintage Vinyl gave a crap what the numbers were.

None of my other records skip, only this one. :shrug: Not sure if it's the stylus or not but this is the only album I have with the issue. I suppose I could try weighting it down a bit to check?

I would suggest getting a "better" (ie. more expensive) stylus, but it's not worth it for one song, obviously. Weird. I wonder how many other fans have the same problem.

The numbers on the Vintage Vinyl copies seem to be all over the map and not within a sequence, which is unusual.

Inner sleeve is just blank white. Back cover says:

Recorded by Alistair McMillan, Release Production and Mixed by Declan Gaffney.

Mastered by Scott Sedillo at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Audio Post Production by Cheryl Engels at Partial Productions.

Photography by Aaron Harris, Sleeve Design by Shaughn McGrath at Amp Visual.

That's everything...

Thanks! :up:

My copy got shipped!! :hyper: Please let it come here in 1 piece, and working :pray:

^Me, too. That's awesome---definitely keep 0031! And think abou registering it on that site linked a few pages back...I think that's a cool idea.

Ack! Sorry to hear that, Bonocomet! :hug:

I ordered mine from Zia Records & haven't gotten it yet. I'm nervous...I decided to save money and have it shipped media mail, though now I'm majorly regretting it. Hopefully, it'll be in good shape...

Spent Turkey week in AZ with the in-laws and picked up my copy on site at Zia Records in Tucson first thing Friday morning. woohoo! 5 copies in store - 1 was left when I left.

Speaking as a U2 fan since 1989 or so who never bothered to download the original version of "Mercy," I really liked the song on the EP. (Yes, I downloaded that...:shh:) I've read a few threads where a few people think the song has somehow been ruined in its new form, but I love it. Has a quality that has been missing from U2 for awhile. A simple, not-overwrought beauty to it. Makes me hopeful for new material.

I just got an email saying my pre-ordered copy from Ideal Copy has shipped.

On the tracking information, it says "Shipped on: June 26, 2008." :lol:

But it also has a scan date of today, so I'll just assume an internet hobgoblin is responsible for the 2008 date.

:starting to get sick of people assuming the motivations for change:

Don't care if you don't like it, but comments like 'wannabe hit' are as ill-informed as they are stupid. Imagine, a rock band wanting to write a song that people will listen to! Shock! Horror!

How can you all just assume the changes made were for the mega-bucks? Did it not occur that, while the original was a die-hards wet dream, it was probably a bit tenuous and self-indulgent? The chorus is much stronger now, the music doesn't sound as thin as water, and, while they probably hacked out the wrong verses, there was definitely some fat to trim.

And above all else, you always have the original! Stop bitching!

Don't care if you don't like it, but comments like 'wannabe hit' are as ill-informed as they are stupid. Imagine, a rock band wanting to write a song that people will listen to! Shock! Horror!

This.

How much did anyone pay for the EP (who bought it in a store)? The record store where I got it was selling them for $50.

I was shocked to see the price that high and told the lady there I saw it going else where for $10-20. She said she was either gonna sell them for $50 or put them on eBay like every other record store in my area apparently had done.

How much did anyone pay for the EP (who bought it in a store)? The record store where I got it was selling them for $50.

I was shocked to see the price that high and told the lady there I saw it going else where for $10-20. She said she was either gonna sell them for $50 or put them on eBay like every other record store in my area apparently had done.

Makes you wanna go back to her shop again and again, doesn't it :|

Wow what a rip off. :| That's not quite the spirit of Recordstore day there.

The original one still sounds great to me. Not this wannabe hit version.

I've never really been a fan of Mercy like some have around here, but I will say the "new" version has been growing on me. I went back to listen to the older studio version and it actually seemed kinda dull compared to the new live version. Still not really a huge fan of the tune, but I do like the new version better than the old. All just my humble opinion....

How can you all just assume the changes made were for the mega-bucks? Did it not occur that, while the original was a die-hards wet dream, it was probably a bit tenuous and self-indulgent? The chorus is much stronger now, the music doesn't sound as thin as water, and, while they probably hacked out the wrong verses, there was definitely some fat to trim.

And above all else, you always have the original! Stop bitching!

:up: .

Back
Top Bottom