Wide Awake in Europe DISCUSSION ONLY - No Email Requests!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've already burned a CD from the U2.com tracks and I'm listening to that. I haven't even opened the vinyl yet. I have to dig the turntable out of the closet.:reject:

When (if :reject: ) I get mine it's getting opened and on the turntable first thing! Nothing beats the sound of vinyl on a record player!

My girlfriend picked this up for me at Criminal Records in Toronto, after unsuccessfully trying at Sonic Boom (I overheard the discussion as well about them selling the copies ahead of time, even though I had inquired the day earlier as well). Mine is number 1151. However Criminal Records tends to price gouge, and I think she paid over $18 for it. Still worth it, though. :hyper:

My girlfriend picked this up for me at Criminal Records in Toronto, after unsuccessfully trying at Sonic Boom (I overheard the discussion as well about them selling the copies ahead of time, even though I had inquired the day earlier as well). Mine is number 1151. However Criminal Records tends to price gouge, and I think she paid over $18 for it. Still worth it, though. :hyper:

Yeah, mine was 16.99. I don't mind a little mark up, the local shops can't afford to discount things the way bigger brand stores can.

Yeah, mine was 16.99. I don't mind a little mark up, the local shops can't afford to discount things the way bigger brand stores can.

Mine was that price too here at Radioactive Records in Ft. Lauderdale. There were 10 copies there this morning. Hubby said they sold out quickly. So happy he got me a copy.

Fortunately I was wise enough to arrive early and just line up because a guy came out with vouchers for the first people in line. The vouchers were to be given at the register to get your copy, they did not put them out on the floor.

That's how they did it at the store I went to as well for U2 and several of the other hotter specials (but not all of them). They sold the U2 for $10.99. :)

My very sweet hubby went to the only indie record store near us and waited for almost 2 hours for them to open (there was actually a line :huh:). Once the owner finally got there she sadly told him that she only got half of what she ordered for record day and no U2:down:. We're hoping that her shipment is just delayed...if she does get any my name is at the top of the list--fingers crossed!

you
I just found out that one of the two shops in Seattle opens at 9 tomorrow, which is perfect. I hit one at 9, the other at 10, and hopefully will have what I need.

Bring it on! I love a challenge. :lol:

did you manage to snag a copy? easy street in west seattle had some this morning when I picked up my two copies....

also, so what's the deal with this release, is it really out of 5000 pressings or what?

*edit*

just went back and read this thread, nevermind my above questions :)

Hey there, fellow Seattlite! I popped by the Queen Anne Easy Street and the Ballard Sonic Boom. They each only had maybe 10 copies? Not nearly as many as Silver Platters.

yeah, when I got to easy street in west seattle, they only had five or so copies. I picked up two and will be trading my extra copy to a guy fron this these forums for a copy of artifical horizon :D

what number did get?

Dang, Easy Street in Queen Anne said only one per customer! :lol:

The copies I got are all over 5000, including one over 6000.

I got copies for some online friends who knew they didn't have stores participating nearby, and one for a local friend who had to work today. I hit up Easy Street, Sonic Boom and the Northgate Silver Platters.

When (if :reject: ) I get mine it's getting opened and on the turntable first thing! Nothing beats the sound of vinyl on a record player!

I haven't listened to my copy either. I found out that Santa Rosa, CA does have a record store and this store did get copies of WAIE! Unfortunately, they told me they opened at 10 on Friday - but they opened early! I got the last copy. Whew!

Odd thing is that my copy is number 5277. I saw copies online having numbers of 0046. This suggests that there should be a copy 0001. It also suggests that there are more than 5000 copies out there. Unless the numbering system is odd. Either way, I got my copy. Yay. :applaud: In theory, I should be getting a copy from vintage vinyl as well. Let's see if that arrives.

Yeah, the numbering thing has been asked, and addressed .... I don't remember where the info came from, though.

The story on the numbering is apparently that if they mess up a copy during printing, they don't start over (which makes sense). So there are more than 5,000.

I have one that's above #6,000, which begs the question - how many copies typically get messed up during printing?

Yeah, the numbering thing has been asked, and addressed .... I don't remember where the info came from, though.

The story on the numbering is apparently that if they mess up a copy during printing, they don't start over (which makes sense). So there are more than 5,000.

I have one that's above #6,000, which begs the question - how many copies typically get messed up during printing?

If that theory is true, that means that at least 1000 copies were "messed up". That's a pretty big failure rate (20%)! I cannot believe that 20% or more of the copies are just "messed up". Methinks something else is going on. Perhaps some of these "messed up" copies went to radio stations, promoters or people close to the band? Did some go to the label? Perhaps 5000 were sold at stores (although I don't really accept that either), but I doubt 1000+ copies were just thrown out.

My dad, who has been a production engineer for quite some time, once told me that the maximum acceptable defect rate in terms of cost-benefit for almost any product is 1 per 1,000. So yes, 1 per 20 would be an embarrassing defect rate. :wink:

Well, in terms of collectible statues, a 10% ratio for damage is a given. The odd thing is that this number is considered in the whole print run assessment BEFORE things go to press. In other words, if something is to have a limit of 1000, then it is expected that 900 of these are going to pass quality control and anything else is a bonus. Item printed 1001 does not exist, period.

In this case, I'm more inclined to believe that 6500+ were actually printed with the quality control expected to be quite high (these are not delicate hand made items after all) . It is still quite rare, but the "5000" number they said was obviously to hype the rarity apect to the media, nothing more.

A friend of mine sent me this tonight.....sheds a little more light on the mis-printing. Turns out, there are in fact only 5000 vinyls.....its just that the numbers on the jackets are not correct.

u2vinyl.png

Also, did anyone else have major damage to their jackets? The two that I got and the two that the girlfriend went and got all have damage in the same spot :(

676.jpg

Oh hai, little Easy Street red star! :cute:

Mine were fine. But that's a bummer.

And yeah, we've been discussing that report about the numbering. It had just been a while since we'd seen the text of the @U2 report, but that's the same report we'd all seen. :)

:D

Well, now there is a picture showing what went down so others can see it :)

My girlfriend went back and picked up another pair. Im going to keep one for myself to listen to, one to keep sealed for collecting purposes, one will go to my girlfriend (she said that today marks her first step in collecting vinyl *thanks to me:applaud:*), and the fourth will be going to Stealthboy :)

Cori, was it you that hit up Silver Platters in Bellevue and saw something like 20-30 copies? Im going to go hit them up before work tomorrow to see if they have any left. Might as well try and get them now for other interference members before non-collectors catch wind of this release.....

A friend of mine sent me this tonight.....sheds a little more light on the mis-printing. Turns out, there are in fact only 5000 vinyls.....its just that the numbers on the jackets are not correct.

Also, did anyone else have major damage to their jackets? The two that I got and the two that the girlfriend went and got all have damage in the same spot :(

As I wrote above, I don't accept that 1000+ copies were damaged. That seems a VERY high error rate. And if the jackets were damaged and destroyed, why then did you get four damaged items? Already the logic is faulty.

I accept a few mistakes - say 100. Even a 10% error is high. That's a huge loss. I go with the idea that a lot more were printed - some were errors, but others became "gifts" to those in the business. After all, if you were a part of Universal or on the U2 team, wouldn't you expect to get a copy of a "rare" item?

I think it was Danny Boy who put out the word about Silver Platters in Bellevue. Vintage Punk saw it and asked Sicy to text me since she knew she had my number... and I was already in the car on the way to Silver Platters at Northgate when I got the news. :lol:

The Northgate store seemed to have about the same number of copies, based on what was there when I showed up at 10:30 and what the lady at the cash register told me.

I'm pleased U2.com finally allowed paid members to stream (and easily download) all 3 tracks in mp3 format equal in quality to iTunes. That means we all win - our vinyl copies stay sealed and we have a HQ version on our iPods.

I'm also liking the edited version more now that i can better hear the lyrics.

:D

Well, now there is a picture showing what went down so others can see it :)

My girlfriend went back and picked up another pair. Im going to keep one for myself to listen to, one to keep sealed for collecting purposes, one will go to my girlfriend (she said that today marks her first step in collecting vinyl *thanks to me:applaud:*), and the fourth will be going to Stealthboy :)

Cori, was it you that hit up Silver Platters in Bellevue and saw something like 20-30 copies? Im going to go hit them up before work tomorrow to see if they have any left. Might as well try and get them now for other interference members before non-collectors catch wind of this release.....

Would you keep me in mind for a copy, Notorious?

Back
Top Bottom