Why did Bono lie about this being a long album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
The last couple of U2 albums have been quite short -- around the 50-minute mark instead of Achtung Baby's 55 minutes or Pop's 60 minutes, I think.

Anyway, here is the running time for the new album based on this:
Walmart MP3 Music Downloads: U2 - Top Songs from $0.74, Free Music Tracks, Albums from $7.00

52:23.

This is hardly long for a U2 album! Or "very long" as Bono said it was. I got my hopes up and everything. I started imagining Fez-Being Born being 10 minutes or something.

So, why did Bono say this? This is the kind of crap that disillusions fans!

So pissed!

Bono didn't lie! :( If anything he just spoke too soon.....

He made comments while they were still deciding what the album would be like.... Also, they say that Linear may feature 14 songs.......

Because Bono hates U2 fans and wants to destroy our happiness?

Actually, most likely the landscape of the album was quite fluid during the majority of the recording process. It's quite possible that at one point, the album was going to be longer than the final result turned out to be. I'm sure at the time he said it, Bono believed that the album would be a little bit longer than usual.

Besides that, an album's greatness isn't really affected by it's running time, is it?

52 minutes is a long album for today's world. I read an interesting thing on Alan Cross' blog, something that I've been thinking about too. EP's were phased out by studios because they figured they could make more money by selling full length albums. Now that itunes and mp3 players have brought back singles as a dominant force we're going to see a shift to shorter and shorter albums.

You believed Bono, a man known for hyperbole, and now you're disappointed?

It's your own fault.

It's your own fault.

This.

I do share your disappointment, though mine is slight. If the songs are good, length does not matter to me.

One point in it's favour would be that Pop and Achtung Baby had one extra song, NLOTH has 11 tracks, so that would explain why the other albums are 5-7 mins longer, but I do agree with you Muldfeld, why did he bother saying that?

Bono has no clue what he is saying anymore, but actually he never has.

Gotta love the man for spreading so much BS:hug:

One point in it's favour would be that Pop and Achtung Baby had one extra song, NLOTH has 11 tracks, so that would explain why the other albums are 5-7 mins longer, but I do agree with you Muldfeld, why did he bother saying that?

I think at the time Bono said this the actual songs were longer than they are now and remember that EBW was going to be on the album as well. Things changed in the last minute and thus we have a shorter album.

because if you think that over 50 minutes isnt a long album, you have no idea what long is.

Average albums these days start with a 3.

Why did he lie? What a dumb thread :down:

because if you think that over 50 minutes isnt a long album, you have no idea what long is.

Average albums these days start with a 3.

Why did he lie? What a dumb thread :down:

than there is something wrong with the average nowadays which off course commes to no ones surprise. :wink:

I think every breaking wave may have been on the album to start with..they may have not decide which tracks to use/ drop at that point. he may have also been misquoted as to a comment about how long it was taking to make the album. I certainly don't think he lied

I think every breaking wave may have been on the album to start with..they may have not decide which tracks to use/ drop at that point. he may have also been misquoted as to a comment about how long it was taking to make the album. I certainly don't think he lied

Don't beLIEve the hype:wink:

The Hive brought out an album a few years ago that was under 30

The fact is, most songs these days are less than 4 minutes, most closer to 3. an album of 11 songs at less then 4 minutes, struggles to make 40 mins. Basic maths.

These SONGS are very long too.. MOS is 7:23, UC is 6:00, fez is nearly 6. This is whinging for the sake of whinging, and it is frankly totally pathetic

The Hive brought out an album a few years ago that was under 30

The fact is, most songs these days are less than 4 minutes, most closer to 3. an album of 11 songs at less then 4 minutes, struggles to make 40 mins. Basic maths.

These SONGS are very long too.. MOS is 7:23, UC is 6:00, fez is nearly 6. This is whinging for the sake of whinging, and it is frankly totally pathetic

I for one am glad that it is as long as it is. Being a fan of long records makes me feel a bit dissapointed but you have apoint in stating that albums these days are short.

This is a very silly thread.
#1 Bono wasn't trying to mislead anyone. Things changed.
#2 Expectations of U2 album length are based for most people on previous U2 albums.... So, the new album isn't really long or short. It's average.

This is the same as getting all bent out of shape over Bono's "punk rock from Venus" remarks from 2003 not panning out for a record released in late 2004. Things change.

I agree with others in that early reports stated there would be more than 11 tracks. As a result, one more long track and NLOTH is suddenly pushing 60 minutes.

I am disappointed that there are only 11 songs. For years we heard how U2 have albums of material (some 40-60 tracks) and we only get 11 songs. And while I do enjoy GOYB, based on reaction here and other places, it appears that many are disappointed. So U2 had nothing better than GOYB in all those other 40+ tracks? No other rockers that wouldn't have caused U2 fans to be so divisive? Or perhaps, ignore the rocker and throw out a fantastic ballad or more U2 song. Nothing?

Still, as others stated, if the songs present work, then that's all that matters. And, as I like GOYB, I'm already happy.

Hasnt it been mentioned (i could have been dreaming who knows) that there is a "killer" twist at the end of the album?, hidden track?

I guess he wanted to say the album will be long...awaited.
But he chopped off the last word:doh:

It's your own fault.

What he says. about 70% of the stuff that comes out of Bono's mouth before an album is hyperbole, and most of that is bullshit.

Don't take him serious would be the best thing. Don't believe what you hear, wait until you get the album so you can hear it without false expectations. Otherwise you're ruining it for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom