Why did Bono lie about this being a long album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last couple of U2 albums have been quite short -- around the 50-minute mark instead of Achtung Baby's 55 minutes or Pop's 60 minutes, I think.

Anyway, here is the running time for the new album based on this:
Walmart MP3 Music Downloads: U2 - Top Songs from $0.74, Free Music Tracks, Albums from $7.00

52:23.

This is hardly long for a U2 album! Or "very long" as Bono said it was. I got my hopes up and everything. I started imagining Fez-Being Born being 10 minutes or something.

So, why did Bono say this? This is the kind of crap that disillusions fans!

So pissed!

30.jpg

Interesting, when I was watching tha 60 minutes interview with Chris Martin Sunday, he showed the bands rules about recording an album and one of them was the album couldn't be more than 42 minutes long and 9 songs.

I wonder if this is the next hot topic. :doh:

"it's a very long album" was referring specifically to the album runtime because ... ?

Hasnt it been mentioned (i could have been dreaming who knows) that there is a "killer" twist at the end of the album?, hidden track?
Oh, that's interesting. Still, I expected "Rattle and Hum" lengths. At least 70 minutes.
your average episode of battlestar galactica is shorter than this album.

Don't get me started on that. The most recent episode had apparently 40+ minutes of stuff cut out including lots of stuff with Baltar and Romo. I'm livid about that, too, especially since David Eick had promised fans doubly long episodes. If it makes people feel better, I've been badgering Ron Moore about ensuring we get extended episodes on the DVDs!
I guess he wanted to say the album will be long...awaited.
But he chopped off the last word:doh:

Ha, ha. Welcome, by the way.

"it's a very long album" was referring specifically to the album runtime because ... ?
Exactly! However, what if he meant that it FEELS very long...

Seriously, though, there's hyperbole and then there's just misleading and not thinking at all. Obviously U2 fans were going to compare running times to previous U2 albums.
because if you think that over 50 minutes isnt a long album, you have no idea what long is.

Average albums these days start with a 3.

Why did he lie? What a dumb thread :down:
30-some minute running times for bands like The Strokes and Vampire Weekend don't count; they're more the exception than the rule, and they would even consider their albums short.
Traditionally, in the '70s, albums could not exceed 45 or 50 minutes. It's now the era of the CD so that makes Bono's comments doubly annoying. I wanted him to double my pleasure!
There's still rumours about extra songs or at least musical pieces being in Linear so maybe they're still there
I just hope these bonus tracks are divided. Nothing more annoying than fast-forwarding 10 minutes to hear something or having to rerecord the album on a blank CD to accommodate this.

ya think the last 3 albums (including this one) featured 11 tracks because of a subconscious wish on their parts to top or at least equal the quality of The Joshua Tree, the last album b4 ATYCLB that had 11 songs and won them Grammy of the Year? Huh? Coiincidence?

I'm happy with that... I have a problem with albums with more than 70 minutes...

Nothing wrong with a long album if it's consistent

Although the only 70+ album that comes to mind as being completely consistent is Disintegration :drool:

Oh, the problem is not the albums, it's me. I usually get bored by long albums, even if they're good. They gotta be great, awesome to grab my attention all the way until the end. Examples: R&H, Exile on Main St. (which is 67 min long), Chinese Democracy...

Oh, the problem is not the albums, it's me. I usually get bored by long albums, even if they're good. They gotta be great, awesome to grab my attention all the way until the end. Examples: R&H, Exile on Main St. (which is 67 min long), Chinese Democracy...

I generally don't mind long albums, seeing as I usually sit around listening to music forever

Oh and I forgot () by Sigur Rós that's over 70 minutes and is perfect too :drool:

So yeah the more the better in my opinion, as long as the more doesn't suck. But I'm happy enough with what we have 52-53 minutes

We also get to hear NLOTH 2 on Friday :hyper:

I generally don't mind long albums, seeing as I usually sit around listening to music forever

We also get to hear NLOTH 2 on Friday :hyper:

hhahahaha, I do the same... but like I said, listen to music on your pc is a curse, it's too easy to change the song... then, I usually skip or go listen to another band after 50-60 minutes...

Oh, friday :drool:... and NLOTH is the song I'm expecting the most... :hyper:

rattle and hum doesn't really count. take away the live cuts and the excerpts and the album is just under 40 minutes long.

because if you think that over 50 minutes isnt a long album, you have no idea what long is.

Average albums these days start with a 3.

Why did he lie? What a dumb thread :down:

Not All of them, Metallica's Death Magnetic is about 74:41, Chinese Democracy is 71:18. Line could end up being over 60 minutes if you include the iTunes bonus tracks, hopefully they aren't remixes of No Line On The Horizon or something like that, but new tracks.

rattle and hum doesn't really count. take away the live cuts and the excerpts and the album is just under 40 minutes long.

Well, that's true... but then there's no kicking ass Helter Skelter, Silver and Gold, Bullet the Blue Sky and the more important....
NO FREEDOM FOR MY PEOPLE... :sad:

Ah, and in case I wasn't clear R&H, Exile and Chinese are albums that I like a lot and that are near the 70 min mark ;)

The last couple of U2 albums have been quite short -- around the 50-minute mark instead of Achtung Baby's 55 minutes or Pop's 60 minutes, I think.

Anyway, here is the running time for the new album based on this:
Walmart MP3 Music Downloads: U2 - Top Songs from $0.74, Free Music Tracks, Albums from $7.00

52:23.

This is hardly long for a U2 album! Or "very long" as Bono said it was. I got my hopes up and everything. I started imagining Fez-Being Born being 10 minutes or something.

So, why did Bono say this? This is the kind of crap that disillusions fans!

So pissed!

Maybe Bono meant long in terms of Cylon time. Seriously dude, if you think 53 minutes isn't a long album, you should listen to more music.

And why do you always have to start redundant threads? Give that ego a break and try posting in existing threads. Do you really think this topic hasn't already been discussed ad nauseum considering that 1) Bono's comment is really old (and possibly incorrectly quoted and 2) the album length has been known for weeks?

Why so concerned with length? I thought size didn't matter, it's how you use it.

Back
Top Bottom