Why are people expecting a leak of the new single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

topplehatU2

Refugee
While I like to be hopeful and want the song as soon as possible, isn't it a bit ridiculous to expect it to come out early? If I remember correctly, Vertigo was not leaked beforehand (outside of beach clips).

However, I will laugh and look like a moron if the single leaks tomorrow. :wink:

because they are touring again next week and assumingly will play a single that they just released. therefore, one could draw the conclusion that we are likely to hear it before they resume touring again.

Holy crap Batman! I think I ate too much turkey these past weeks. I never realised till now that WITS will most likely be played when the tour restarts. :ohmy:

^ :yes: fingers crossed!

get ready for some bootleg hoarding....:sad:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

bootleg hoarders can suck it...

wah wah wah, if you want it you should sneak a video camera in and record your own shows sometimes wah wah wah i think i'm scorsese wah wah wah shut up. :mad:

haha! that's awesome!

and where are u2rulesmyworld's oscar nominations? i've been waiting for him to win one!

vertigo was played on the radio before the single came out though.

it leaked via the radio i suppose.

if you count that as a leak.

Blue Room said:

:hyper: :up:

But dont be shocked if they dont play it live. I give it a 50/50 chance.

Why? I give it a 100% chance. I mean, it's going to be a single.

Axver said:

maybe they will throw us a bone and play wits and another new song or two? i mean who is to say that they don't have a trick up their sleeves! Now that would be a very nice surprise. Not holding out anyhope of that though but for sure they will probably play both TSAC and WITS.

Axver said:

Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America were singles.

I know Hands was played at the Clinton Library thing, but still.

Axver said:

Because I have seen how this band works. They (especially Bono) HATE rehearsal. Most likely the focus the first week or two of the tour is going to be getting back into the swing of playing live and getting the show itself back down. Not working on new songs.

Will know more once we hear the song. If its any type of intricate song that could take alot of rehearsal and/or be difficult to work out live, my guess would be it wont be played.

I'm not ruling it out, but I still say its 50/50 at this point.

I have a feeling that we will see it a few times (or many times) in this last handful of shows, then we'll never see it live again.

Blue Room said:

Because I have seen how this band works. They (especially Bono) HATE rehearsal. Most likely the focus the first week or two of the tour is going to be getting back into the swing of playing live and getting the show itself back down. Not working on new songs.

Will know more once we hear the song. If its any type of intricate song that could take alot of rehearsal and/or be difficult to work out live, my guess would be it wont be played.

I'm not ruling it out, but I still say its 50/50 at this point.

What relevance does the rehearsal point have? The band just recorded the song - it's probably more fresh in their minds than even Vertigo right now!

So, points in favour of it being played:
1. It was just recorded.
2. It would be fresh in the band's minds.
3. It's a single. U2 have played all but one single live. Almost every current single has been played at its time of release.

Points against it being played:
1. Fan cynicism ...?

LemonMacPhisto said:

they were singles but not released while a tour was going on.

LemonMacPhisto said:

No, Hands was not a single. It was initially going to be a single, but then it was called off. And it was played multiple times.

Electrical Storm was released some 2.5 years before the nearest tour, and was nonetheless rehearsed. The band had intentions to play it. And hey, it's the exception that proves the rule anyway. :wink:

Axver said:

What relevance does the rehearsal point have? The band just recorded the song - it's probably more fresh in their minds than even Vertigo right now!

So, points in favour of it being played:
1. It was just recorded.
2. It would be fresh in the band's minds.
3. It's a single. U2 have played all but one single live. Almost every current single has been played at its time of release.

Points against it being played:
1. Fan cynicism ...?

:laugh: How long have you been a fan of this band??

Are you really saying you think they played the song live in the studio and just recorded that? Seriously doubt it. Recording a song in the studio is not the same thing as playing it live in front of 50,000 people, especially with this band. Look how long they worked on Numb during Zooropa before they even attempted it in concert. It was 2 to 3 weeks. Weren't they in the studio right before that? Gee, I think they were. So I think your "fresh in their minds" is right out the window. Then it took another week after that to attempt Stay, a fairly simple song. Then another month after that before they attempted any other Zooropa songs (and Zooropa the song was a disaster live).

But lets examine this a little further since you apparantly think I'm full of crap. Zooropa tour. U2 recorded an entire album, then hit the road after being off. Sound similiar? Rehearsals for Zooropa, no new songs were worked on, period. How long after the tour started did they actually play a new song? 2 months. How long is this leg going to be? :hmm: That is why I say 50/50.

Like I said, I'm not saying it wont be done. I just think its 50/50. I'm sorry if you think that rains on your parade. :laugh: Go outside and enjoy some fresh air, it may help you.

PS: Electrical Storm was not really rehearsed. Edge messed with the guitar part on it. They never attempted it full band.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:laugh: How long have you been a fan of this band??

Are you really saying you think they played the song live in the studio and just recorded that? Seriously doubt it. Recording a song in the studio is not the same thing as playing it live in front of 50,000 people, especially with this band. Look how long they worked on Numb during Zooropa before they even attempted it in concert. It was 2 to 3 weeks. Weren't they in the studio right before that? Gee, I think they were. So I think your "fresh in their minds" is right out the window. Then it took another week after that to attempt Stay, a fairly simple song. Then another month after that before they attempted any other Zooropa songs (and Zooropa the song was a disaster live).

But lets examine this a little further since you apparantly think I'm full of crap. Zooropa tour. U2 recorded an entire album, then hit the road after being off. Sound similiar? Rehearsals for Zooropa, no new songs were worked on, period. How long after the tour started did they actually play a new song? 2 months. How long is this leg going to be? :hmm: That is why I say 50/50.

Like I said, I'm not saying it wont be done. I just think its 50/50. I'm sorry if you think that rains on your parade. :laugh: Go outside and enjoy some fresh air, it may help you.

PS: Electrical Storm was not really rehearsed. Edge messed with the guitar part on it. They never attempted it full band.

you're totally missing the point though. "Window" is one song, and Zooropa was a full album. as a musician, i know best that it's pretty easy to prepare heavily and nail down one song, compared to rehearsing 4-5 songs.

once again, from a musician's standpoint, it is easier to play a song that's fresh in your mind. considering they recently finished all the mixing on the song(trust me, it's a long, long process), the song is most likely engraved in their minds at this very moment, which will make it a lot easier for them to rehearse. actually, it would be a lot easier for them to bust "window" out than an old song they haven't played in a while like "Wire", for example.

and to answer your first question on whether or not the band just played the song live in the studio and then recorded it, while it may not be as simple as you made it sound, the answer is actually yes. that's normally how the process works. the band has to feel the song before deciding to put it down on tape, and for history sake, that is normally how their songs develop, by them jamming, and then laying it down on paper.

That may be how bands theoretically develop songs, but I think we've all seen how U2 are about writing/recording/tinkering/dragging the process out. For all we know, Window has been finished for months and they have no intention of touching it live. There's no reason to expect it.

Being a musician doesn't mean you know what's going on in Edge's head, brother.

theparlortricks said:
That may be how bands theoretically develop songs, but I think we've all seen how U2 are about writing/recording/tinkering/dragging the process out. For all we know, Window has been finished for months and they have no intention of touching it live. There's no reason to expect it.

Being a musician doesn't mean you know what's going on in Edge's head, brother.

i never claimed to be able to read The Edge's mind, but it seems you're claiming to be able to read mine.

just giving you a musician's standpoint.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

bootleg hoarders can suck it...

wah wah wah, if you want it you should sneak a video camera in and record your own shows sometimes wah wah wah i think i'm scorsese wah wah wah shut up. :mad:

:lol: :love:

Hey, we should talk about that marriage thing again...

mikal said:

you're totally missing the point though. "Window" is one song, and Zooropa was a full album. as a musician, i know best that it's pretty easy to prepare heavily and nail down one song, compared to rehearsing 4-5 songs.

once again, from a musician's standpoint, it is easier to play a song that's fresh in your mind. considering they recently finished all the mixing on the song(trust me, it's a long, long process), the song is most likely engraved in their minds at this very moment, which will make it a lot easier for them to rehearse. actually, it would be a lot easier for them to bust "window" out than an old song they haven't played in a while like "Wire", for example.

and to answer your first question on whether or not the band just played the song live in the studio and then recorded it, while it may not be as simple as you made it sound, the answer is actually yes. that's normally how the process works. the band has to feel the song before deciding to put it down on tape, and for history sake, that is normally how their songs develop, by them jamming, and then laying it down on paper.

Jesus, ALL I said was my personal opinion was that there was a 50/50 chance it would be played and I gave my reasoning. I wasnt missing any point, I explained my point. I'm basing that on their prior rehearsal/soundcheck habits. It seems like whenever I post about something like this now, you or Axver jump all over me like I'm full of crap. I didnt even say it wouldnt be done, and STILL you guys did it.

Do me a favor please. Block my posts. THANKS

Back
Top Bottom