Why an early 2009 release makes sense - commercially

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No offense, but I've read many of your other posts and you are much smarter then this response.

Seriously, you're going to make THIS argument. Please.

i think what she is getting at (and BVS please correct me if I am wrong) is that this comment is kinda ridiculous hence her comment.

well... i do listen to the same U2 and if you can't list the songs that are then how can you say they are autobiographical, this is just your opinion at this point. Unless you are in the band or a family member would you even know this for sure. Everyone has a different take on what the song could mean so unless you are Bono then no one knows for sure..

that is what I am saying, hence the IMO. Everyone has their opinion on what the songs are and what they may refer to.. So guess what noone including me will agree otherwise..

never claimed that ur response was appropriate or not.. frankly I could care less.

Oh geez...

C'mon now. YOU go back and list the songs. I don't have time for that shit man. My point is that there are way too many. He writes about personal stuff about himself, his wife or his father and mother ALL OF THE TIME!!!.

C'mon man....lets start backwards here: SYCMIOYO, OOTS, One Step Closer to Knowing...I'm already bored.

BTW, there are plenty of books and plenty of interviews that pretty much give you a spot on idea about what most of Bono's lyrics are talking about. I think you're taking the "Noone really knows, only Bono" road to support your argument, and its pretty weak because Bono has spoken in detail about many of his songs, there meanings and what was going on at the time of the recording.

But in the end we do agree on one thing...Frankly I couldn't care less either. :rolleyes:

look.. i will give you that and say that I was wrong on a couple of songs such at the first two that you mentioned but really I what I am really referring to is (and sorry for not going into it further) more in regards to their own 'addictions' in their songs this is something that we really don't know for sure. This is what I was annoyed about in Mr. Bottle's post is that he stated as fact that they have actually have had these addictions personally. We do not know this for sure. A private matter and none of our business.. People can only speculate this possiblity and Mr. Bottle should of worded differently that is all..

I like it when people think everything you write as an artist has to be about yourself.

It's actually quite an annoying experience, since I'm a writer myself.

The great thing about art is called EMPATHY.

No offense, but I've read many of your other posts and you are much smarter then this response.

Seriously, you're going to make THIS argument. Please.

I made an elementary response to some very elementary logic, I felt that may be the only way he would understand... It was tongue in cheek.

And by the way I am male. A male who happens to have my first celebrity crush on Jenny Lewis, who is in my avatar. Maybe you mistaken a feminine avatar to mean I'm female... Or maybe it's just my posting style :hmm:

I made an elementary response to some very elementary logic, I felt that may be the only way he would understand... It was tongue in cheek.

And by the way I am male. A male who happens to have my first celebrity crush on Jenny Lewis, who is in my avatar. Maybe you mistaken a feminine avatar to mean I'm female... Or maybe it's just my posting style :hmm:

oh shat...you like Jenny Lewis? Do you like her music though?

In a spiritual sense the expectation that will grow till the new album will expedientially make the affect of its initial playing heighten by a billion fold.

A bit like eating chopped liver for the first time.

look.. i will give you that and say that I was wrong on a couple of songs such at the first two that you mentioned but really I what I am really referring to is (and sorry for not going into it further) more in regards to their own 'addictions' in their songs this is something that we really don't know for sure. This is what I was annoyed about in Mr. Bottle's post is that he stated as fact that they have actually have had these addictions personally. We do not know this for sure. A private matter and none of our business.. People can only speculate this possiblity and Mr. Bottle should of worded differently that is all..

Fair enough. No harm done. :D

I think we definately share atleast ONE thing in common...and it is our annoyance for people like the guy you mentioned above.

The band doesn't seem to realize that waiting for a peak market time (such as holding HTDAAB back until Christmas season) loses sales as well. For example, there was a benefit to releasing the album at that time but the longer they wait, the more people are going to tune out and forget they exist.

Let's say a band releases their second album after a massively popular debut. The new album a year or two after the first will do great business no matter what the quality is. Now, that same album released three to four years later can't ever possibly sell as much as it would've earlier because it doesn't have the anticipation push that it would've had two years earlier, coming off of monster sales for the debut.

In other words, they lost fans by waiting to put out HTDAAB. Fans that would've bought the new release at that time without the iTunes advertisements. Then, there's the fans they lost in the United States, a group that consists of avid television viewers that were annoyed by the constant commercial push with the iPod ads along with those that just felt it was too much to begin with and that the band was overcompensating.

They may have gained an extra 500,000 in sales right away because of those television ads and the X-mas season but they also lost a few hundred thousands fans for the same reason.

Also, what really pisses me off about the Christmas timing is that it's geared for people that don't like U2 to have their album in the stocking. Any U2 fan or someone that likes what they heard off the radio will purchase this album or ask for it as a gift. So, in theory, being released at Christmas should barely help at all. But it does. Why? Because the idea is that U2 fans and older music listeners will hand it out to their friends and family, forcing the music upon them and U2 earning $10 from people that will pull it out of their stocking, give it a spin, and then toss it.

Also, what really pisses me off about the Christmas timing is that it's geared for people that don't like U2 to have their album in the stocking. Any U2 fan or someone that likes what they heard off the radio will purchase this album or ask for it as a gift. So, in theory, being released at Christmas should barely help at all. But it does. Why? Because the idea is that U2 fans and older music listeners will hand it out to their friends and family, forcing the music upon them and U2 earning $10 from people that will pull it out of their stocking, give it a spin, and then toss it.

OK, what you're saying is basically that only "real" U2 fans should be allowed to purchase an U2 album. Yes, that fits very well with the attitude of hardcore fans on this forum who say U2 should only cater to them and they are the ones who should be allowed concert tickets.

Yes, because U2 makes their money exclusively from diehard fans.
The casual music fan is not allowed to like their music.

And you always talk about U2 "losing" fans, not about gaining new fans wih their last albums. Of course, because new fans don't deserve U2.

What an arrogant approach, I'm sorry.

:giggle: people are going to forget that U2 exists...:giggle:

If the music's good...they will come...even if it's just 'OK'....they will come...:yes:

Obviously the band is not ready to release this album...so why should they, just because we want them to...:eyebrow:

:confused: With the sucess of last two albums and tours, who exactly is U2 losing in the fandom ?

The band doesn't seem to realize that waiting for a peak market time (such as holding HTDAAB back until Christmas season) loses sales as well. For example, there was a benefit to releasing the album at that time but the longer they wait, the more people are going to tune out and forget they exist.

Let's say a band releases their second album after a massively popular debut. The new album a year or two after the first will do great business no matter what the quality is. Now, that same album released three to four years later can't ever possibly sell as much as it would've earlier because it doesn't have the anticipation push that it would've had two years earlier, coming off of monster sales for the debut.

In other words, they lost fans by waiting to put out HTDAAB.

Best Of 80-90 > Best Of 90-00 > U218

I'd say they're getting more and more fans...
Beautiful Day is OK, but I don't think ATYCLB would've sold so many copies without the Best Of 80-90 reminding people how great U2 is...

Back
Top Bottom