Why all of the negativity????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonoDude

Babyface
Since last week I have heard great to bad reviews on this album. I personally think that it is a great album. It may not be Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby but it is an album that grew on me very quickly. No Line On The Horizon had its moments but I never really grew to love it. That being said, the whole week I have read articles about the release of the album for free on iTunes having been a debacle, and insult, blah blah blah. Why? It is obvious that this was an attempt at a marketing ploy for Apple and U2. I don't get the hostility? If you don't want the album, don't download it!!!! As much as I love U2 I realize that they have made millions of dollars and have become a big business, why does everyone still insist on this BS about selling out? Apple saw an opportunity to use the new U2 album as a tie in for the launch of the iPhone 6. What's the problem? The funny thing is that alot of those people who are out there screaming about this are among the millions of people that will go and spend hours in line to buy the new iPhone!!!

The music business has changed, chill out!!!

I'm convinced for every whiney clueless bozo screaming "How do I delete this free U2 album from my iTunes, wahhh wahhh wahhh" there are 2 people who say, "What? U2 has a free album on iTunes? Where do I find it?"

Because U2 forced their album on peeps iDevices...the horror!!!

U2 is old, who is this U2 guy?

Boner is a pretentious old fart, who is a rich corporate sellout...and steals from my data plan

Do I need to go on...it's ridiculous...but it's keeping U2 in the headlines...:yes:

Welcome to the world of a U2 fan. They're not hip or whatever, it's cool to hate them. Start caring less and your life will be much happier.

They hate them now for a variety of reasons.

1. Complete and utter sellouts. The complete anti-thesis to what Rock and Roll was supposed to be about, but in a very bad way.

2. The music does not justify the hype, much like Justin Bieber (to use an extreme example).

3. Bono is a twat who talks in soundbytes.

You don't have to agree with any of these, as it's purely subjective. But everyone has a right to their opinion. In fact, I have a hard time understanding how people DON'T understand that there are loads of people who hate U2.

I've just gotten to the point where I keep my head down and pretend 90% of what they've done after Pop never happened, whenever the subject of U2 comes up.

I am a big U2 fan, thus Apple's genius move of just dropping the album in my library was great.

However, I wonder what my reaction would be if they dropped, say the new NWA album in my library.

(flamers - understand I know NWA no longer exists and thus do not have a new album...)

My point is that Apple has decided what is appropriate for the public to consume versus the other way around.

Welcome to the world of a U2 fan. They're not hip or whatever, it's cool to hate them. Start caring less and your life will be much happier.

I really don't care if U2 is hip. They have been my favorite band since I first heard I Will Follow in 1980, and it will remain.

I'm betting it will also end up getting tied to the celebrity nudie photo leaks from a couple of weeks earlier as a sort of masses-wake-up thing about how easy the push/pull of your digital world really is for others.

It is really silly as it's not like a third party was able to push an album into your library, it was Apple, who own the thing, of course they can - but I do think that timing was important in regards to the outrage. The NSA stuff, the general reporting on the various ways almost all apps pillage other data from your phone etc is all a little above and beyond many for various reasons. But having your naked pics pinched and having a U2 album suddenly appear on your phone is a little more... relatable.

I am a big U2 fan, thus Apple's genius move of just dropping the album in my library was great.

However, I wonder what my reaction would be if they dropped, say the new NWA album in my library.

(flamers - understand I know NWA no longer exists and thus do not have a new album...)

My point is that Apple has decided what is appropriate for the public to consume versus the other way around.

If they dropped in an album of a band I didn't like I would DELETE IT!!! It's that simple!!!! I understand that people may think that Apple forced the album on them but give me a break!!!

My unrequested two cents :wink:

I think that this release is receiving such bad feedback from the media because it's a move that affects many interests in the music business and maybe these people are trying to punish U2 for it: the retailers are angry (because of the 5 weeks iTunes exclusive), the critics are angry (they are not important anymore for this album), billboard may be angry (bono says the charts are broken), "Musicians" and their managements are angry or want the free publicity (because they cannot do something like this), record labels may see this as a threat to their existence, etc, etc

So I guess the music/news publications/blogs have to cater to their patrons.

Admitting I'm a U2 fan to someone is like opening myself up to all the typical comments about how U2 sucks, and also Bono is "so annoying".

My favorite negative comments are the morons who post "Who are U2?"

The irony is that by stating that, you're acknowledging that your musical awareness is nowhere near the level it needs to be to comment on anything.

Regardless of how you feel about them, to have never heard of them is beyond ignorant of what's out there.

Admitting I'm a U2 fan to someone is like opening myself up to all the typical comments about how U2 sucks, and also Bono is "so annoying".

I wear my U2 fandom on my sleeve. I have gotten into many arguments about U2 and especially Bono. The funny thing is that for all of his activism, Bono has ACTUALLY done something. He isn't a typical bomb thrower just preaching about world peace and poverty. He has backed up his talk with actions.

I wear my U2 fandom on my sleeve. I have gotten into many arguments about U2 and especially Bono. The funny thing is that for all of his activism, Bono has ACTUALLY done something. He isn't a typical bomb thrower just preaching about world peace and poverty. He has backed up his talk with actions.

Plus, I find the anti-U2/Bono crowd are like children out of their depth.

Yes, I'm biased, but saying U2 sucks is nonsense. They have undoubtedly written a wealth of songs that rank amongst the best pop compositions ever.

And to hate Bono because he's a jerk is also stupid. I'm not sure there's a more thoughtful, articulate, caring human being on the planet.

And then there's the hipster douchery about how Edge sucks and is just an effect-obsessed fraud. The irony is they're posing as technical guitar experts. Yet, if Edge made a boatload of fans and money with his signature guitar work, how has no other guitarist managed to replicate it for profit?

Again, the anti arguments are childish and mis-informed.

U2 suck? Um, no, they really, really don't. You may not like them, but they sure don't suck.

Yet, if Edge made a boatload of fans and money with his signature guitar work, how has no other guitarist managed to replicate it for profit?

SONGS

I've seen many a guitar player replicate his sound, but it's the Songs that sell, not the individual guitar sound.

I'm told by those in the know that Jeff Beck is a brilliantly technical guitar player who does stuff most other guitarists just drool over, but frankly other than a couple songs on Truth I can't really name any Jeff Beck-penned material. Eddie Van Halen is a great shredder, but shredding alone isn't why he's famous, it's because he wrote a bunch of great memorable songs. Ditto Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, etc.

Plus, I find the anti-U2/Bono crowd are like children out of their depth.

Yes, I'm biased, but saying U2 sucks is nonsense. They have undoubtedly written a wealth of songs that rank amongst the best pop compositions ever.

And to hate Bono because he's a jerk is also stupid. I'm not sure there's a more thoughtful, articulate, caring human being on the planet.

And then there's the hipster douchery about how Edge sucks and is just an effect-obsessed fraud. The irony is they're posing as technical guitar experts. Yet, if Edge made a boatload of fans and money with his signature guitar work, how has no other guitarist managed to replicate it for profit?

Again, the anti arguments are childish and mis-informed.

U2 suck? Um, no, they really, really don't. You may not like them, but they sure don't suck.

I agree that you don't have to like U2. There are people that like The Rolling Stones and don't like The Beatles. Does that mean the Beatles suck??? I don't think so!!!

U2 is among the great bands in the history of Rock n Roll, period.

U2 is a love them/ hate them thing just like many groups, there's no middle ground. I can understand the exageration if Apple put the new justin bieber, jay-z or skrillex album on my itunes I'd throw my own little tantrum, they had to know it was going to go both ways

U2 is a love them/ hate them thing just like many groups, there's no middle ground. I can understand the exageration if Apple put the new justin bieber, jay-z or skrillex album on my itunes I'd throw my own little tantrum, they had to know it was going to go both ways

I never understood the "hate them" bit so I asked around a bit when I hear people criticize them. In my un-scientific research it appears to be a mixture of perceiving them to be too soft and lovey-dovey in their cheesy lyrics and them being over-exposed. People just got sick of them being out there.

But I suggest it's two other things at the root:
1. A lack of knowledge of the depth of their catalogue and the wealth of hard-edged and deep stuff they've done, and
2. Hearing their songs so much that the amazing stuff loses potency (WOWY, One, etc.) and people can no longer appreciate it for how good it is. It just fades out as old U2 again.

I guess my #2 is related to "over-exposure."

But I still have trouble seeing why there's such a hate lobby unless it's for non-music reasons.

I feel Bono has kept a relatively low profile within the last years in regards to public appearances, campaigning etc. apart from the occasional summer party pics that always pop up in someone's twitter or facebook account :wink: But I've seriously got the impression that he's not throwing himself at the public on every occasion like he used to do. I know his work is important and all, but maybe it's a sign of him beginning to tune things down a bit.

Not that it will change people's opinion of him that much :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom