Why all of the negativity????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 free album verdict is in - an epic fail that could cost dearly

Love this portion (which, granted, is only a statement from one person, but it goes toward the general tone of the article): Don't forget this is the band that ignored a plea to play a high profile cancer charity gig in London in March. The Who's Roger Daltrey, the face of the event, took a pop at U2 at the time when asked who had declined his invite: "I should save their names for my book, but they're usually the ones who are saving the world instead."

As I stated to the friend who posted this on Facebook, it only goes to prove the double standard the band - and Bono specifically - are held to. They're hated for "preaching" to people about doing charitable work, yet when they turn down a charity event appearance, they're disparaged for not getting involved. :doh:

I don't think Bono is too worried. From the KROQ interview:

“The punk rock thing to do is annoy people and get in their faces,” he said. “If people have a problem with the way we released the album, I’m sure they’ve read about it online.”

:up: I thought he summed the whole thing up very directly and succinctly... a very un-Bono thing to do. :lol:

Again, I have to say it, those of you who are twerked out by the release and the ridiculous..."I got a free U2 album, and now my life is screwed"...backlash need to step back and understand that, like it or not, U2 are back and BIGGER than ever. Even if the hipsters and kiddies aren't excited...:rolleyes:

There is a bigger picture going on here, and the Time Mag piece starts to offer a tiny bit of insight to what's going on. The tour will be HUGE...in terms of excitement and attendance. SOI is a VERY GOOD album...SOE will be here sooner than later...U2 wants to save the world (still)...and no matter what they are not going to compromise their beliefs or principles.

They are being true to who they are and what they want...and they'll get it, even if some people are annoyed...what did you expect?

As for the bigger picture...I must ask....

At what point do they stop trying to take over the world? How much bigger do they need to get? And why must they? Can't they just simply make music at this point in their career?

And I'm sick of these comments about hipsters and such. What is this, some us versus them thing? It's music, not a fucking war. Why are people getting so tickled by people hating U2? I have never once read a negative review about U2 and thought "HA! Another win for the U2 camp!"

I dont think the right questions were asked in the radio interveiw if im honest

But you know what WOULD be a punk-rock move? Doing the same thing again for the next album, and adding an extra copy every day just in case someone deletes it.

At what point do they stop trying to take over the world? How much bigger do they need to get? And why must they? Can't they just simply make music at this point in their career?

And I'm sick of these comments about hipsters and such. What is this, some us versus them thing? It's music, not a fucking war. Why are people getting so tickled by people hating U2? I have never once read a negative review about U2 and thought "HA! Another win for the U2 camp!"

And I must ask... Why can't they simply continue to be themselves, which is very ambitious? Why try and shape them into something they're not, just because that's what you want?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The thing with the negativity about how this was released is that it will disappear and people won't care after a while. BUT the album will still be there and people will still hear it and once people who haven't even listened to it stop saying it's shit the people who have listend to it will start talking and word will spread that it's actually really good. My brother today just said he's been listening to it and says he actually thinks it's pretty good now. On first listen he didn't like it but he heard The Miracle a few times on radio and decided to try the album again and likes it and is glad he got it for free.

I honestly think the backlash will subside and this is going to work out really well for them. Let's face it this album thanks to the haters has gained more media attention and social media attention that any album I can remember. There's people who haven't even noticed it in their itunes yet. One of these days they will and they'll take a listen on their own terms. That's a good thing.

And no backlash is going to stick. It just won't. Good music trumps all.

Hipsters...people who hate everything accessible and popular...even if they like the album, they're going to complain. I have nothing against these sort of people, I just think those of us who do need not worry. In the end they are irrelevant to what's happening.

As for U2 and the 'biggest/best' thing, they have never hid their ambition about this, and it's still holds true today. There's nothing wrong with that. The only problem is those of us who are uncomfortable with it. U2's desire and quest is nothing new, and they 'want' to be heard, and they haven't lost the fire and desire to make great music. I think that's what should be focused on.

Those of us who love this band, and love this album are in for a special few years. A last hurrah...maybe, but they're not going to lay down their and fade away. It'll be a bang and a clatter all the way until the end...:yes:

But you know what WOULD be a punk-rock move? Doing the same thing again for the next album, and adding an extra copy every day just in case someone deletes it.

Haha This made me laugh so hard and you know what? I think even the people who were pissed off this time would have to tip their cap to U2 on that if they did it. Would be such a dick move but so awesome.

Haha This made me laugh so hard and you know what? I think even the people who were pissed off this time would have to tip their cap to U2 on that if they did it. Would be such a dick move but so awesome.

And then deploying an army of tweeters to respond to Every.Single.Tweet with a barrage of insults and profanities that would actually convert Sharon Osbourne into their biggest supporter, LOL.

I dont think the right questions were asked in the radio interveiw if im honest

I agree. I expected more about the whole negativity going on, but I guess the radio guys are just trying to cozy up to the band and not annoy them so they will indeed give their stations some exclusives. But I am still very much interested to hear Bono's responses if confronted directly with those issues. On the other hand I'm afraid that, no matter what he says, it will be turned against him anyway.

tumblr_n704llVH221qcga5ro1_500.gif

And I must ask... Why can't they simply continue to be themselves, which is very ambitious? Why try and shape them into something they're not, just because that's what you want?

I'm not making them do anything and they can and will do whatever the hell they want. All I'm suggesting is not being so over the top on their next release. I'm not saying become a steampunk country hip-hop band. I'm not even suggesting anything about the music itself, and I like this new album. I just think it would help matters if they didn't push so hard on the next one. It's just my theory. Of course, I don't have any control over this, but we're just talking, right? I'm sure you have a lot of opinions when it comes to, let's say, politicians. I'm sure you don't just say "ahhh let them be themselves." In the grand scheme of things, is this U2 backlash ruining my life in anyway? No, not at all. And if the next album release is obnoxious as all hell I will still be thrilled to have a new U2 album.

For every person U2 pissed of with how they released their album and for every person who thinks it sucks there's people like this girl. She looks like she's about 11 and clearly loves this song. Obviously she had to speed it up for copyright issues but so what. Score one for U2 with a new fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cgEWb3FnE

Can this please be used for the official video?

I'm not making them do anything and they can and will do whatever the hell they want. All I'm suggesting is not being so over the top on their next release. I'm not saying become a steampunk country hip-hop band. I'm not even suggesting anything about the music itself, and I like this new album. I just think it would help matters if they didn't push so hard on the next one. It's just my theory. Of course, I don't have any control over this, but we're just talking, right? I'm sure you have a lot of opinions when it comes to, let's say, politicians. I'm sure you don't just say "ahhh let them be themselves." In the grand scheme of things, is this U2 backlash ruining my life in anyway? No, not at all. And if the next album release is obnoxious as all hell I will still be thrilled to have a new U2 album.
They obviously have too much coming down the pipe to not push hard. From everything we've heard would anybody be surprised if they released another album before Christmas? I mean if Songs of Experience is ready why not play Saturday Night Live on November 22nd and then on Tuesday the 25th or Friday the 28th release it for Black Friday(the biggest shoppng day of the year in the States) and the kick off to the Holiday season? Then release Songs of Ascent before the tour.

I don't think they've set themselves up for subtle this time around.

For every person U2 pissed of with how they released their album and for every person who thinks it sucks there's people like this girl. She looks like she's about 11 and clearly loves this song. Obviously she had to speed it up for copyright issues but so what. Score one for U2 with a new fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cgEWb3FnE

They leaked the tour graphics already?! Sweet!

They obviously have too much coming down the pipe to not push hard. From everything we've heard would anybody be surprised if they released another album before Christmas? I mean if Songs of Experience is ready why not play Saturday Night Live on November 22nd and then on Tuesday the 25th or Friday the 28th release it for Black Friday(the biggest shoppng day of the year in the States) and the kick off to the Holiday season? Then release Songs of Ascent before the tour.

I don't think they've set themselves up for subtle this time around.

You're probably right about the "too much coming down the pipe" this time around. Perhaps after the tour when and if they do enter another phase, is what I'm about. But that could be a lifetime, or possibly never.

Hey, here's to SOE being a great one...

But politicians speak for me.

All I'm saying is that we already know who U2 is, they are over the top. So when someone says, I just don't understand why they just can't ________? It sounds like, why can't they just be like how I want them?

That's all. I learned long ago, that desiring an artist to fit your mold is futile and a waste of time.

But politicians speak for me.

All I'm saying is that we already know who U2 is, they are over the top. So when someone says, I just don't understand why they just can't ________? It sounds like, why can't they just be like how I want them?

That's all. I learned long ago, that desiring an artist to fit your mold is futile and a waste of time.

But we're just having a conversation. Maybe it's a waste of time, but it's still my time to waste, right?

I'm not desiring them to change their art for me, or fit my mold. I'm looking at the topic of discussion, which happens to be the "backlash" this release has caused, and just wondering if they'd help their image a bit by not going super-crazy-big on the next release. I'm not disappointed now, and won't be later. But would it lighten my day to have a U2 album where the music gets most of the attention? Sure, not going to lie. But I'm not worried about it in the least.

But we're just having a conversation. Maybe it's a waste of time, but it's still my time to waste, right?

I'm not desiring them to change their art for me, or fit my mold. I'm looking at the topic of discussion, which happens to be the "backlash" this release has caused, and just wondering if they'd help their image a bit by not going super-crazy-big on the next release. I'm not disappointed now, and won't be later. But would it lighten my day to have a U2 album where the music gets most of the attention? Sure, not going to lie. But I'm not worried about it in the least.

I hear ya :up:

The funny thing is, the 'biggest' way they could have sent this (on an all positive direction) would have been to just quietly out of nowhere load it onto their iTunes page, for free, and not said a single word. Nothing from U2. Nothing from Apple. Nothing from Universal. Just wait. It would have taken minutes to be discovered. The news goes everywhere. No word from anyone. Is it a mistake? Grab it quickly just in case.And then wait some more. Like, a week more. Let people just take it and listen and wonder wtf is this all about. Would have generated an almost equal level of noise because it's new and unusual and kinda funny - and entirely positive.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Int

The funny thing is, the 'biggest' way they could have sent this (on an all positive direction) would have been to just quietly out of nowhere load it onto their iTunes page, for free, and not said a single word. Nothing from U2. Nothing from Apple. Nothing from Universal. Just wait. It would have taken minutes to be discovered. The news goes everywhere. No word from anyone. Is it a mistake? Grab it quickly just in case.And then wait some more. Like, a week more. Let people just take it and listen and wonder wtf is this all about. Would have generated an almost equal level of noise because it's new and unusual and kinda funny - and entirely positive.

Wow. That's pretty genius. I gotta say.

Don't talk to anyone, even their besties at places like Rolling Stone, completely blindsided. Most people would immediately recognise it for what it is, but not before a number of people have gotten egg on their faces by giving them grief for it "haha, corporate monsters U2 just had their new album loaded on iTunes for free, what a fuck up". With the 'placeholder' artwork and everything...

:up:

This in so many ways would have been a better approach. How cool would this have been? The conversation would be completely different today.

Back
Top Bottom