Who's rapping in the background on Cedars of Lebanon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still don't get why we are assuming it is some kind of distorted, cryptic English, when the song is set in the Middle East.

Love this song, like One Step Closer churned through a MDH machine with a sonic twist...beautiful closer, with some of Bono's best lyrics of all time.

Genius....

I still don't get why we are assuming it is some kind of distorted, cryptic English, when the song is set in the Middle East.

Are you saying that "Soldier Brought Orange" is the English transaction some arabic that just sounds to us like "get your Bro/Butt/Brother out"?

I actually think it's in Arabic, and I think it might be referring to a city in South Lebanon called "Anout".

But that's just me- something like "bombs in Anout" in Arabic.

Maybe my coffee is just too strong this am...

From LEBANONNOW.org, also in UN press release...

The location of Tuesday’s attack against the Irish peacekeepers suggests that the perpetrators are from the same network. Rmeileh lies in the Iqlim al-Kharroub region, only 10 kilometers west of Anout.

Similarly, the Katyusha rocket attack on Shlomi was likely the work of militants connected to the cluster of Sunni villages surrounding Yarin in the western sector of the southern border district. To the west of the villages of Yarin and Jibbayn lie several deep wadi systems, some of which were used by Hezbollah as military bases prior to the 2006 summer war. The distance between Shlomi and these wadis lies within the 12-kilometer range of the 107mm rocket and would have provided a discreet launch pad at 2am on a winter’s night, which helps explain why neither UNIFIL nor the Lebanese army heard anything at the time.

That may give added context to "Anout" possibly being the mystery word....

The Edge visits fansites. Let's just wait until he reads this topic and gives us some insight.

Hi Edge! :wave:

the Against the Sky sample is the entire keyboard drone that backs the song and the chord structure. It has no vocals.

I am totally dumbfounded that people can't here that IT IS "dier brought orangdier brought orang..." looped and cut in the middle of the words soldier and oranges.

I have played this to 15 different people and they all hear the same thing.

Seriously guys? You can't hear this?

I am totally dumbfounded that people can't here that IT IS "dier brought orangdier brought orang..." looped and cut in the middle of the words soldier and oranges.

I have played this to 15 different people and they all hear the same thing.

Seriously guys? You can't hear this?

That's exaclty what I hear. :shrug:

It's also partially sampled in Fez near the "Let me in the sound" sample, is it not?

My take on it, for what it's worth:

The first time the voice appears, around 2:20, it says "get your butt out, get your butt out," which makes perfect sense given that the preceeding lyric is "I'm here because I don't want to be home."

The second time, around 2:40, the voice says "soldier brougth oranges, soldier brought oranges."

My take on it, for what it's worth:

The first time the voice appears, around 2:20, it says "get your butt out, get your butt out," which makes perfect sense given that the preceeding lyric is "I'm here because I don't want to be home."

The second time, around 2:40, the voice says "soldier brougth oranges, soldier brought oranges."

I agree that it's not as clear-cut the subsequent times it's heard on the song. When I listened with headphones, I noticed that it sounded clearer at 2:20, so that's the part I focussed on, and as far as I can tell, it says "get your bro(ther) out." I suppose it *could* be butt, but I tend to think it's more likely to be "bro" or "brother." Later in the song though, I really can't say for sure.

I wonder who thought of that before :hmm:

I'm with those who say it's in Arabic. I've only been listening to the album with headphones, and from the very first time I heard the song, I identified the voice as a "Middle Eastern" accent, speaking something that was not English. I think those of you who are hearing broken English phrases have biased your ears to trying to identify the lyric. After reading this thread, I've listened to the song and the voice is very clear with no distortion - and I can't identify a single english word. If I put it on my PC speakers, I can "hear" some of the phrases being suggested, but I contend that if we had 1 person on here that understood Lebanese (or whatever form of Arabic is being used) that they "mystery" would be quickly resolved.

Back
Top Bottom