Who's rapping in the background on Cedars of Lebanon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok for me, at first it sounds like juju butt out juju butt out. Then later I hear pull your brother out. The soldiers and oranges is a line Bono is singing.

Ok for me, at first it sounds like juju butt out juju butt out. Then later I hear pull your brother out. The soldiers and oranges is a line Bono is singing.

oddly enough, that's what I hear too. I was wondering if it was a radio transmission in some other language?

it sounds like juju butt out because they are recutting the sample at an odd point in the line. The cut oranges at the g sound, and they start the next loop of soldier at the d sound, so it sounds lke juju. Brought does sound a bit like butt, and oran I suppose sounds like out when its so distorted.

It doesn't sound exactly "distorted" to me, it sounds more like they're trying to mimic a voice over a walkie-talkie or whatever, like one soldier to transmitting to another that they have to get a downed soldier out.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think some of the synth sounds are supposed to sound like a helicopter in flight. The pilot of the helicopter can see a downed soldier, and is radioing to someone on the ground to "get your brother out."

That's what I hear, and in the context of the song, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than "soldier brings oranges." :shrug:

It doesn't sound exactly "distorted" to me, it sounds more like they're trying to mimic a voice over a walkie-talkie or whatever, like one soldier to transmitting to another that they have to get a downed soldier out.

yeah it does sound like a walkie talkie. but walkie talkies do give a distorted sound.

yeah it does sound like a walkie talkie. but walkie talkies do give a distorted sound.

Yeah, I know, I was just saying what I think it's supposed to be replicating, that it's not just distortion for distortion's sake, or something used just for a cool effect, I think it has an intentional purpose.

Yeah, I know, I was just saying what I think it's supposed to be replicating, that it's not just distortion for distortion's sake, or something used just for a cool effect, I think it has an intentional purpose.

:up: all good VP :wave:

Yeah it is definately trying to be a walkie talkie, but its wierd that they would pick the soliers brought oranges bit for it. But they did

haha, fair enough. you guys can hear what you want, but I am telling you know that it IS that line. There is no doubt, 100% etc

It's not a sample of Bono's oranges line in the song, you're completely wrong, stop misleading people.

The lyrics Bono actually sings is "Soldier BRINGS oranges" so even if it were Bono's voice (which it isn't), the line is a either a different one or "soldier BROUGHT orange(s)" and not a sample of another lyric. The backing vocal clearly has an "ahh" sound not an "eeh" sound.

End of story.

When posting, can people please identify the point in the song at which they supposedly hear these things? I still hear nothing remotely close to anything about brothers getting out or soldiers bringing oranges! Or are people just messing now, and not being serious about trying to identify the words? (Aside from the obvious jokes)

The guy in the background at 2:20, and later in the song, is clearly saying "I will kick your butt," it's not even distorted.

It's not a sample of Bono's oranges line in the song, you're completely wrong, stop misleading people.

The lyrics Bono actually sings is "Soldier BRINGS oranges" so even if it were Bono's voice (which it isn't), the line is a either a different one or "soldier BROUGHT orange(s)" and not a sample of another lyric. The backing vocal clearly has an "ahh" sound not an "eeh" sound.

End of story.

Because its a different vocal take does not mean its not a sample.

It is as clear as day! How can people not be hearing this?

WHy isn't it the 'Against the Sky' sample? Has anyone heard that song and found out what they've used.

If it isn't a sample from Eno's other stuff, it probably is some guy speaking a random phrase in Arabic, (certainly sounds like Arabic to me), possibly recorded at a market or something or sampled from stock audio etc.

I've always heard and still hear "juju brougt orang, juju brou orang"
The words aren't fully pronounced.
The soldier brings oranges from the tank in the lyrics, so it seems like he would say soldier would bring oranges, but I still hear juju.

When posting, can people please identify the point in the song at which they supposedly hear these things? I still hear nothing remotely close to anything about brothers getting out or soldiers bringing oranges! Or are people just messing now, and not being serious about trying to identify the words? (Aside from the obvious jokes)

The guy in the background at 2:20, and later in the song, is clearly saying "I will kick your butt," it's not even distorted.

Are you being sarcastic because that is nowhere near what I hear at 2:20. I'm going to have to scrounge up some headphones, because I've heard "juju brought orange" from the beginning.
Bono sings about the juju man in Breath, also. Not that it makes me right or anything. :wink:

The "oranges" line makes most sense given the context. That is what I heard the very first moment I listened.

I've heard "juju brought orange" from the beginning.
Bono sings about the juju man in Breath, also. Not that it makes me right or anything. :wink:

Thats still what i hear too. I've tried to hear it as others have suggested, but i keep coming back to that. I dunno. I know it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but I guess it could be another little thread running through the album much like "let me in the sound". I'm with Razredge though; I'd love to hear Against the Sky. The answer probably lies in there

snow-informer_s.jpg

Are you being sarcastic because that is nowhere near what I hear at 2:20. I'm going to have to scrounge up some headphones, because I've heard "juju brought orange" from the beginning.

No I'm not being sarcastic! That's why I'm confused about whether people are referring to the same thing. The guy I'm talking about who comes into the background on Cedars of Lebanon is first heard at 2:20 into the song, and reappears several times after that.

Listening again, I think the Bayou12780 above may be right in saying it's a loop of "out...get your butt out..." Said a certain way and a bit muffled this could sound like what I though it was at first, "I will kick your butt". It sure as hell doesn't sound remotely like anything about soldiers, oranges, juju, or brothers!

It's a sample of someone speaking Arabic, and has no one listened to Against the Sky yet to see what it contributed to Cedars?

I used to hear "take your brother out" but now I'm not completely sure anymore. I definitely don't hear "Soldier brought oranges". Also, I did a vocal cut in cool edit pro (basically eliminates everything that's mixed in mono and keeps what's in stereo) which makes the sample a little louder and clearer and it still sounds more like "Take your brother out" to me.

Back
Top Bottom