Who Is Still Excited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
I still love U2's music, and love ATYCLB along w/ HTDAAB, but I don't find myself getting as "jazzed-up" about this next record like I was before the last 2 albums. I don't know if its because I'm much older now or my expectations are just much lower now. Or may be I just don't really care as much I used to since I was a fan during JT and AB eras. Are you guys feeling the same way about this next album? I'm still looking forward to it I just don't think I will be at the "mid-night" sale if you know what I mean.

i don't start getting excited for new material until i know that it's on the way, really.

i actually did go to the mid-night sale of the album in times square for bomb... but that's just because i happened to be in the city 'cause of the brooklyn bridge show. normaly i'd just buy it the next day... i'm not that crazy

One minute I’m really excited and the next I have feelings of dread. that said my excitement is much more then before HTDAAB.

What would you like to hear from the next record and what are your expectations or maybe we should have no feelings toward our hopes and expectations and just enjoy the ride.
:wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i don't start getting excited for new material until i know that it's on the way, really.

Same here. I have yet to get caught up in new album hype, as I know it's gonna be awhile.

I'm generally excited about the band's future, just because they were just down here and I still have the tour vibe. I'm hoping the obvious pleasure the band has been taking from their music during the current concerts translates over to recording sessions, because I'm sure it would produce something inspired. I'm nervous that they'll kill the vibe and go hyper-perfectionist on everything. And I won't really start getting excited about the next album itself until we know record sessions are over, the album's on its way, beach clips leak, the lead single is released, etc.

gherman said:
I still love U2's music, and love ATYCLB along w/ HTDAAB, but I don't find myself getting as "jazzed-up" about this next record like I was before the last 2 albums. I don't know if its because I'm much older now or my expectations are just much lower now. Or may be I just don't really care as much I used to since I was a fan during JT and AB eras. Are you guys feeling the same way about this next album? I'm still looking forward to it I just don't think I will be at the "mid-night" sale if you know what I mean.

I think I lost that vibe after ATYCLB clips were leaked. Think the vibe has gone further south ever since. As for a new album, I don't hold out much hope of great music.

Well Bono said we are just about to make our best music, that is a good sign right??
I am Excited but still a Album is probablly 12 months away so i will be reaally excited then.

I'm actually hoping this one will be dropped without too much hype, like Zooropa... there was far too much press coverage before Pop, ATYCLB, and Bomb. And that includes hype from the band - the more Bono talks about how the newest record is the greatest thing U2 have ever done, the lower my expectations will go. Not that I don't love the last two albums - I just want to be able to hear the new one without the band having talked it up first. Let the music do the talking.

Axver said:
I'm generally excited about the band's future, just because they were just down here and I still have the tour vibe. I'm hoping the obvious pleasure the band has been taking from their music during the current concerts translates over to recording sessions, because I'm sure it would produce something inspired. I'm nervous that they'll kill the vibe and go hyper-perfectionist on everything. And I won't really start getting excited about the next album itself until we know record sessions are over, the album's on its way, beach clips leak, the lead single is released, etc.

I enjoy ATYCLB and HTDAAB. After years of U2 going more and more "out there", even I was happy to see U2 stop focusing on the "experiment" just for the sake of it. I was happy to see U2 focus more on the song structure. I was happy to see U2 hungry again, as they realized they couldn't just produce any album and see the masses rush to get it (even though "Pop" sold very well).

I've had a few U2 midnight purchases, but not all of them were good. For example, I adored AB, so when I learned that "Zooropa" was coming, I was interested, curious and excited. My friends and I went to a store in the Chicago area where a radio station was not only broadcasting (special appearance) but they were giving away prizes and were playing "Zooroopa" non-stop. I won no prizes (not shocking), but as I listened to "Zooropa" again and again that night (they started playing the album early in the store, before it was released for sale), I found myself very disappointed in it. I'd walk by the U2 section in the store and sigh over U2's former sound. I feared I lost the band I loved. I was so disillusioned that I didn't even buy "Zooropa" that night!!

Of course, I later relented and now feel "Zooropa" is a brilliant album, that has some flaws. Of course, I feel this way about all of U2's albums.

But I bring up this story because as much as I enjoyed U2's last two albums, even I'm hoping for something more edgy. As I wrote above, I started to feel with "Zooropa" that U2 were experimenting just for the sake of experimenting - not focusing on the music. Now, I feel that U2 is focusing a bit too much on the "soft music" or "hit song" aspect of the music. Granted, this produced two of U2's best hit songs (IMO) with "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo", but other times I felt it was pushed.

For me, I'd rather they leave songs like "A Man and a Woman" and "One Step Closer" as b-sides. And as brilliant as songs like "Walk On" and "City..." and "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" and "All Because of You" are, this sound has been done now - twice. I don't want another album of those types of songs.

Instead, I'd rather see U2 focus on more edgy songs, like "Love and Peace or Else" and "Fast Cars". WITS blends in with the "easy listening/hit song" aspects of the last two albums. It's a fine song and there's nothing wrong with that. But I'm ready for something a bit more edgier (no pun intended).

Edge says U2 are being influenced by the melodies and musicianship of the artists of old. That's great - but recall what made those artists so great. The Eagles could do rock and country. They created "The Long Run" and "Hotel California". The Bee Gees weren't only a disco band. Their early hits, like "Massachusetts", were fantastic ballads. They were talented enough to create more upbeat songs that helped define the disco era. In fact, if you listen to a lot of the disco era songs, the Bee Gees' music stands out because of the strong musicianship and lyrics that have a bit more meaning than "dance, dance, dance". ;)

In other words, I don't mind if U2 completes the trilogy of this era. But I do hope that the push the limits, as they did with prior trilogies. "War" pushed that boundary, compared to "Boy", just as R&H and "Pop" did to UF and AB, respectively.

Like Bonochick, I'm not excited yet. But I am curious to see what Rubin does. I'm hoping he forces U2 to abandon some of the sugary sweet that has been on the last two albums in favor of some of the more interesting songs that we know they have in them. And given Rubin's schedule, I know he won't stand for U2 being "perfectionists" and trying to over-tweak each song. This is good as it might leave some of the "raw" aspect I feel the recent music needs.

So right now, curious is where I stand.

If U2 do release another "11 pop songs" type of album, I may be a tad disappointed, but I will also give the album a fair chance. After all, if the album has 11 or 12 outstanding tracks, even if they are "pop" in sound, then it deserves praise. I won't dismiss a great album just because it's not what I want to hear.

Good post, doctorwho!

I agree, much as I liked the pop/rock singles songwriting and the last two albums (perhaps they did the "singles" hunt a bit too much and so the last two albums aren't necessarily a case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts) it is time for something different and I think WITS could be a hint, much as HMTMKMKM was a hint at the more guitar oriented Pop compared to Zooropa or how S. Thing was a hint to the more direct and accessible sound of ATYCLB.

If ATYCLB was "pop music a la U2" and Bomb was the real "back to basics" sounds, maybe the new album will be "pop, but nothing like U2" sound. Like WITS.

am i "jazzed-up" now?? , no ,
new best-of collection has no new songs
( saints is alright , but i despise windowsintheskies )
after two half-empty fantastically boring and very ambitious / rotten albums ( the whole biggest band thing ) , i lowered my expectations , but who knows , maybe next one will be good
and again i 'm gonna buy that deluxe version of it with high hopes

iii , i will begin again , again....

:drool: :wink:

I think the internet (both fan forums and downloading options) has caused such an increase in info and the ability to find other music that no matter what the last U2 album would have been I'd never be as excited again as I was the day - let's say - Zooropa was released

I find myself majorly looking forward to this next record, despite it hardly being on the horizon. ATYCLB I found myself a little out of the loop and wasn't looking forward to all that much, but anticipation certainly grew before Bomb, and will likely be moreso for this one.

I've loved U2 since the early 80s and only two albums have left me disappointed (Zoo and Pop). It was only respect for their willingness to try new things that prevented them from 'losing' me during that period. It's the reason of respect that I'm INTRIGUED with the new 'melodic' direction.

I'm going to take advantage of the lull and do some other things before then. I'm sure the excitement will quickly come back once some solid rumours come out.

i'm more excited for the album after next than for the next album

doctorwho said:

So right now, curious is where I stand.

If U2 do release another "11 pop songs" type of album, I may be a tad disappointed, but I will also give the album a fair chance. After all, if the album has 11 or 12 outstanding tracks, even if they are "pop" in sound, then it deserves praise. I won't dismiss a great album just because it's not what I want to hear.

:up: Excellent post, and I agree with much of what you said.

As for excitement about the new album, it's waaaaay too early for me to start getting antsy.

I'll be excited when the album leaks and I have to resist listening to it up to the release date.

I'm excited, but there's really nothing to get frantic over yet. As soon as new album news starts coming in strong, then I'll start getting excited. It has nothing to do with the type of music the band's playing now, it's just that there's isn't anything really exciting going on. I mean the Vertigo Tour is still going on for Christ's sake.

WITS got me excited, and I really like the song, but it's already a part of the U2 catalogue.

If we're talking about new album excitement, I have to mention Radiohead. I'm DYING to hear a new Radiohead album, expecially after they played all these amazing new songs recently. :drool:

Canadiens1160 said:
I'll be excited when the album leaks and I have to resist listening to it up to the release date.

I tried and failed with HTDAAB. Hopefully I'll be more successful next time.

But its so hard:drool:

Salome said:
I think the internet (both fan forums and downloading options) has caused such an increase in info and the ability to find other music that no matter what the last U2 album would have been I'd never be as excited again as I was the day - let's say - Zooropa was released

great point. my thoughts exactly!

also bear in the mind the third consecutive publicity stunt concocted by one of the band members to raise interest in the new album . With ATYCLB, it was Bono losing his laptop, with the bomb, edge losing a cd,, this time round, I think it will be Larry's turn , with him throwing out the master copy of the album, mistakenly thinking it was some trash....

We got Edge's biggest guitar studio solo coming

We got 402 comin

We got A great version of Tx You for the day still coming

What's not to be excited with ?

Plus We got Rick Rubin , and the guy seems to know what he's doing :wink:

Back
Top Bottom