Who Is Still Excited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rjhbonovox said:

What extent. How in the hell can you say that Zoo Station is a bloody pop song. Your confusing electronica in music as being pop music. Daddys gonna pay is a pop song. Jesus christ Ive heard it all. If it aint got that edge coke riff in there u yanks dont wanna know. Thats what U2 found out in the 90's and they got scared as hell. Numbs a pop song as well hehehe u must be high on drugs!

First off, try addressing the other parts of the post too, if you even have a rebuttal for them.

I put extent to say they have electronic parts to them if they're not poppy and vice versa. The three songs you mentioned are very electronic although not necessarily poppy.

And to accuse me of being on drugs just for having an opinion is a bit rude, and probably against the rules.

Also, enough blaming of the US for everything that is wrong with U2.

I personally am very excited about U2's future. I think what I'm going to do, and what everyone else should consider is not coming to this message board, or come here much less for awhile. I am vowing to not check this space until July. Not cause I don't like it, but because maybe by then, there MIGHT be something concrete about a new album, rather than just rumors.

I enjoy this message board a lot, but I'm addicted. I get sick of reading every confusing little blurb the band say or are reported as saying about the next album/tour. So I'm gonna keep my distance for the next 6 months. Enjoy!!

The_acrobat said:
I am vowing to not check this space until July. Not cause I don't like it, but because maybe by then, there MIGHT be something concrete about a new album, rather than just rumors.

I enjoy this message board a lot, but I'm addicted. I get sick of reading every confusing little blurb the band say or are reported as saying about the next album/tour. So I'm gonna keep my distance for the next 6 months. Enjoy!!

You know, that sounds like a great idea. I know my post count doesn't reflect it, but I'm addicted to this myself. (And I just started posting!)

Axver said:
But given the demand for U2 in Italy, why not at least one more night in Turin? They could've sold it out without even lifting a finger and it would've fit into the tour schedule.

I think originally the Euro arena leg in 2001 was more of a teaser tour for the stadium shows to follow the next year. Similiar to the arena legs on Zoo. For the most part they were underselling every market they played on that leg. I dont think they planned to go back to Dublin in 2002, but they did plan to go back to Italy. So they got just the one stadium show. There are other factors that could have been involved also. Logistics, availability of the proper personnel, equipment, etc. Costs of the venue, etc.. An example of this type of thing from Popmart. Foxboro was going to have a third show. But they couldnt get the proper personnel and police for security because it would have been on the 4th of July. So the show never went on sale.

The_acrobat said:
I personally am very excited about U2's future. I think what I'm going to do, and what everyone else should consider is not coming to this message board, or come here much less for awhile. I am vowing to not check this space until July.

Does this have to be self-imposed, or can we vote people off? :hmm:

rjhbonovox said:

Come on the only thing missing from U2 of today are the stools that Westlife use. And to say the yanks loved them before 2000, yep they did. Absolutely loved them in the 1980's but there popularity dipped in the 90's especially with the yanks. Thats why they chose to make songs as obvious as Beautiful Day and Stuck. Thats why they did the awful half time spot at the superbowl, so the yanks would love them all over again. Something like that would have never happened before but U2 was desperate to be loved by America again.
ah, I guess you like the being frank and open approach

so here we go :)
you managed to be rude, racist, misguided and a complete *naughtyword* within a couple of lines
I hope they'll ban your arse for this and that I'll never have to read your rubbish ever again

just my opinion of course

Jeffo17 said:
Well Bono said we are just about to make our best music, that is a good sign right??
I am Excited but still a Album is probablly 12 months away so i will be reaally excited then.

Bono also said 'Punk Rock From Venus' when describing the material for HTDAAB and unless Punk Rock is more like MOR in Venus, then Bono was just bending the truth a bit. Besides, to build up hype, every band will tell you that the best stuff they have ever written is their most recent.

MY honest opinion, especially after hearing Window In The Skies, is that there is not going to be a big difference in musical style with the new record. It will still probably be good, but as to whether it's their best music ever - I doubt it. They may surprise me, but the question I ask myself is, 'can they really write another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby?'

neilm said:

Bono also said 'Punk Rock From Venus' when describing the material for HTDAAB and unless Punk Rock is more like MOR in Venus, then Bono was just bending the truth a bit.

That would be the early sessions with C. Thomas, the comment is from early 2003. Everyone from Bono to Edge to P. McGuiness said those were guitar driven, rocking songs.
Not to be confused with the material we got once S. Lillywhite got on board, and only 3 Thomas produced songs made it on Bomb. The album went into a different direction since those sessions, and they said as much.

What I liked about Rubin so far was his "get back to me once you got great songs written" reaction after the first sessions. Shows he won't have a big-band respect attitude - I'd love to see Eno/Lanois or Lillywhite ever pull that on U2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom