Who Is Still Excited? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #61
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,129
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


That's probably one the worst analysis I've ever seen. Let's see how are we going to get the 10 year old crowd? I know, let's talk about our own mortality, dealing with death, starving nations, God, monogamy, etc... I hear these are really sexy topics for the 10 year olds.
Come on the only thing missing from U2 of today are the stools that Westlife use. And to say the yanks loved them before 2000, yep they did. Absolutely loved them in the 1980's but there popularity dipped in the 90's especially with the yanks. Thats why they chose to make songs as obvious as Beautiful Day and Stuck. Thats why they did the awful half time spot at the superbowl, so the yanks would love them all over again. Something like that would have never happened before but U2 was desperate to be loved by America again.
__________________

rjhbonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,105
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox


Come on the only thing missing from U2 of today are the stools that Westlife use. And to say the yanks loved them before 2000, yep they did. Absolutely loved them in the 1980's but there popularity dipped in the 90's especially with the yanks. Thats why they chose to make songs as obvious as Beautiful Day and Stuck. Thats why they did the awful half time spot at the superbowl, so the yanks would love them all over again. Something like that would have never happened before but U2 was desperate to be loved by America again.
Talk about revisionist history! Their popularity may have dipped with Pop, but that was about it.

But still your analysis reeks, too bad you couldn't actually discuss those points.
__________________

BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,018
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Utoo and Yahweh
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #64
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 66,428
Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Utoo and Yahweh
I don't want anyone to get the wrong ideas if they see me drooling over humans of a similar gender, but they do deserve some credit for their awesome posts, so...

LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #65
Refugee
 
rihannsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 1,310
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Habib
also bear in the mind the third consecutive publicity stunt concocted by one of the band members to raise interest in the new album . With ATYCLB, it was Bono losing his laptop, with the bomb, edge losing a cd,, this time round, I think it will be Larry's turn , with him throwing out the master copy of the album, mistakenly thinking it was some trash....
That's kind of harsh. Bono's been losing things all his life, why think it's a publicity stunt? There was a Blender interview I think that was done the day of and day after the Bomb disk going missing and the interviewer arrived just as the band were finishing up with the police interviews. They were grilled pretty heavily by both the Nice police and Interpol and very upset. It would be positively ridiculous at the level of fame that they have to put themselves through that kind of shit for a publicity stunt which they clearly didn't need. They have no trouble getting publicity as every media outlet around will jump at the chance to cover them.

Dana
rihannsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #66
Babyface
 
becca_lyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 28
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox
Come on the only thing missing from U2 of today are the stools that Westlife use. And to say the yanks loved them before 2000, yep they did. Absolutely loved them in the 1980's but there popularity dipped in the 90's especially with the yanks. Thats why they chose to make songs as obvious as Beautiful Day and Stuck. Thats why they did the awful half time spot at the superbowl, so the yanks would love them all over again. Something like that would have never happened before but U2 was desperate to be loved by America again.
I do believe that their popularity dipped after Zoo TV, only because "Zooropa" and "Pop" were not, when you sit down to think about it, classic U2 albums, especially "Zooropa." After hearing that album, and after "Pop," I really thought that they had gone the way of the Bee Gees and was utterly disappointed, as many others were. They stopped all of that electronic poppy bullshit with "ATYCLB," and I could not be happier. But to say that they changed their sound (again) just for the "Yanks," please. I think, like someone else here said, they experimented, and failed... miserably. You can't expect them to keep the same 80s sound, because that would be ridiculous.

And many people happened to think that the Super Bowl show was beautiful, me included. And what do you mean that would have never happened before? Do you mean *they* wouldn't have done that before? Please enlighten me.

And who the hell is Westlife?
becca_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #67
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,129
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by becca_lyn


I do believe that their popularity dipped after Zoo TV, only because "Zooropa" and "Pop" were not, when you sit down to think about it, classic U2 albums, especially "Zooropa." After hearing that album, and after "Pop," I really thought that they had gone the way of the Bee Gees and was utterly disappointed, as many others were. They stopped all of that electronic poppy bullshit with "ATYCLB," and I could not be happier. But to say that they changed their sound (again) just for the "Yanks," please. I think, like someone else here said, they experimented, and failed... miserably. You can't expect them to keep the same 80s sound, because that would be ridiculous.

And many people happened to think that the Super Bowl show was beautiful, me included. And what do you mean that would have never happened before? Do you mean *they* wouldn't have done that before? Please enlighten me.

And who the hell is Westlife?
Electronic poppy bullshit. The only thing poppy about U2 in the 90's was their album title for Pop. I mean lyrics such as "Jesus, Jesus help me, I'm alone in this world and a fucked up world it is too" hardly fits with the crap they're producing today, for example "ohhh can't you see what love has done" or "oh you look so beautiful tonight". Excuse me if the lyrics for WITS are not quite spot on but it pains me to listen to that song. There current lyrics seem to fit nicely with their Westlife stool sitting image. The Super Bowl show and the ipod bollox are things U2 of the 80's and 90's would have run 10 million miles from. But since they like to kiss corporate ass and especially USA corporate ass to get them to the top of the charts, them things are now top of the agenda.
rjhbonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,646
Local Time: 04:04 PM
As much as I enjoy the 2000's music, I'd got crazy if WITS was the style of an entire album. Now if Electrical Storm was an idicator of a sound...that would be different.
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Blue Room's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MICHIGAN, GO BLUE!
Posts: 7,612
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox


Electronic poppy bullshit. The only thing poppy about U2 in the 90's was their album title for Pop. I mean lyrics such as "Jesus, Jesus help me, I'm alone in this world and a fucked up world it is too" hardly fits with the crap they're producing today, for example "ohhh can't you see what love has done" or "oh you look so beautiful tonight". Excuse me if the lyrics for WITS are not quite spot on but it pains me to listen to that song. There current lyrics seem to fit nicely with their Westlife stool sitting image. The Super Bowl show and the ipod bollox are things U2 of the 80's and 90's would have run 10 million miles from. But since they like to kiss corporate ass and especially USA corporate ass to get them to the top of the charts, them things are now top of the agenda.
Certainly nothing poppy about Lemon and Some Days Are Better Than Others. "Some days you cant stand the sight of a puppy" You are right, lyrical genius! Mysterious Ways, "She's slippy!" BABY, BABY, BABY, Light my Way. Nothing but serious tones in the 90's for sure! Whats funny is I remember when Achtung Baby came out and Zoo TV started ALOT of fans were complaining of the same thing you are now. Stating U2 soldout.

But yes, once again, anything that someone doesnt like about U2, IE touring, albums, etc. It must be the good ole USA's fault. Afterall U2 have no minds of their own. The United States controls them through mind control. Its a conspiracy!
Blue Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox
The theme of the last 2 albums was to get the 10 year old kids and Yanks liking U2 with instantly catchy tunes.
Extremely incorrect post.

All kids I know think that U2 are over-serious adult contemporary slow rock. The only instantly catchy tunes out of those 22 songs are Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Elevation, and All Because of You.

Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox
Electronic poppy bullshit. The only thing poppy about U2 in the 90's was their album title for Pop. I mean lyrics such as "Jesus, Jesus help me, I'm alone in this world and a fucked up world it is too" hardly fits with the crap they're producing today, for example "ohhh can't you see what love has done" or "oh you look so beautiful tonight". Excuse me if the lyrics for WITS are not quite spot on but it pains me to listen to that song. There current lyrics seem to fit nicely with their Westlife stool sitting image. The Super Bowl show and the ipod bollox are things U2 of the 80's and 90's would have run 10 million miles from. But since they like to kiss corporate ass and especially USA corporate ass to get them to the top of the charts, them things are now top of the agenda.
Electronic Poppy: (or at least to some extent)

Mysterious Ways
TTTYAATW
Zoo Station
EBTTRT
Lemon
Numb
DGPFYCC
SDABTO
Discotheque

Give or take a few '90s songs, but yeah, that's quite a bit. Just cause you can cite one dark song doesn't speak for the rest.
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #71
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,129
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


Electronic Poppy: (or at least to some extent)

Mysterious Ways
TTTYAATW
Zoo Station
EBTTRT
Lemon
Numb
DGPFYCC
SDABTO
Discotheque

Give or take a few '90s songs, but yeah, that's quite a bit. Just cause you can cite one dark song doesn't speak for the rest.
What extent. How in the hell can you say that Zoo Station is a bloody pop song. Your confusing electronica in music as being pop music. Daddys gonna pay is a pop song. Jesus christ Ive heard it all. If it aint got that edge coke riff in there u yanks dont wanna know. Thats what U2 found out in the 90's and they got scared as hell. Numbs a pop song as well hehehe u must be high on drugs!
rjhbonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


Electronic Poppy: (or at least to some extent)

Mysterious Ways
TTTYAATW
Zoo Station
EBTTRT
Lemon
Numb
DGPFYCC
SDABTO
Discotheque
Sorry, can you explain just a bit why you think these are electronic/poppy? Not every single one, just a couple so I can catch your drift...
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Blue Room's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MICHIGAN, GO BLUE!
Posts: 7,612
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox


What extent. How in the hell can you say that Zoo Station is a bloody pop song. Your confusing electronica in music as being pop music. Daddys gonna pay is a pop song. Jesus christ Ive heard it all. If it aint got that edge coke riff in there u yanks dont wanna know. Thats what U2 found out in the 90's and they got scared as hell. Numbs a pop song as well hehehe u must be high on drugs!
Achtung Baby sold very well in the U.S. So they found out they could sell well doing that. Made Zooropa which also sold well worldwide (incl. the U.S.). Made POP which did not sell as well. Ticket sales were down worldwide not just the U.S.

Its funny how everything is you "yanks" fault. Sorry, but that is just a ridiculous statement. You sort of have a revisionist history about what happened to U2 when you say that. It wasnt just the U.S. where their popularity declined after POP. Europe was WAY down also on that tour.
Blue Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #74
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26



Mysterious Ways
TTTYAATW
Zoo Station
EBTTRT
Lemon
Numb
DGPFYCC
SDABTO
Discotheque

My take :

M Ways - A Dancing Pop Rock
Arms - Yes it's pop - scores
Zoo Station - Not quite mate , it's a rocker
Real Thing - It has some popness , some moving , but it's rock
Lemon - A Fantastic Pop song - sc.
Numb - A Crazy Thing tied into so many things , but there's pop as well
Daddy's - Also crazy thing , but has some popness into
Some Days - Yeah IMO it's sort of poppy
Disco - No good , A dancing rocker

I would say u got right in 3
J_NP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #75
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,846
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room


Europe was WAY down also on that tour.
Not tryin to get into the argument ( and particularly on this one : Popmart/World/US ) specially coz I don't agree with like the complainers u're arguin but .......

Ok perhaps the UK sort of went similar to the US , with Popmart , but places like Italy , Spain , Neederlands , Germany , I'm sure these places Popmart flyed , and in no way U2 concept went down after it
__________________

J_NP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com