Who here thinks U2's album is already finished?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me, or has the hype level regarding the new album reached even more hype than usual? I think the album was "finished." Something happened. U2 weren't happy with the results? They are happy with the results, but have got themselves in this "groove" now that they want to explore and make the album better?
I really think this album, when it is finally released, will blow minds! I broke down and listened to those new "beach clips." Even with the terrible sound, there's some mighty interesting stuff being played. If this is a hint as to what the new album will be, I'm very
excited.:hyper:

POP part II would be if they rushed it and released what they had right now. HTDAB is what you get if they go back and give themselves time to toy with it.

I don't think they'll be able to enough done between now and say, January, for the album to be comparable to HTDAAB in that way. If they do keep working on it until next fall, then yes, we'll probably see them overthink their material again.

POP part II would be if they rushed it and released what they had right now. HTDAB is what you get if they go back and give themselves time to toy with it.

Sad but true.

Perhaps the delay is to give space for the remasters to do a bit better in the Christmas market? The decision to release Under a Blood Red Sky came before the announcement that they were delaying the album and I don't think they would release a remastered album at the end of September and a single a few weeks later followed by an album in November. It would totally destroy the sales of the remaster and DVD.

I think point 1 is the weakest. We know that the "50-60 songs" really means nothing in light of the "100 songs" from ATYCLB. But overall, given the quality of songs apparent in the beach clips, I agree with your main point.

I also think U2 is at a point where anything less than a Number 1 album around the world (especially in the US) will be considered a failure. And they are old enough/far enough along where that could be tough for them to deal with. If they get knocked off the pedestal now (or are seen as having been knocked off) then there is pretty much no way they will ever get back there...no matter how good their future albums are. There are plenty of bands that release albums as good as U2's last couple and are relatively unknown. U2 is enormous but they won't always be. I think this is probably the last album where U2 can be looked at as (using Bono's phrase) "relevant". I think they want to maintain the status they re-achieved in 2000 with Beautiful Day for as long as possible...which is likely through 2011. After that the earliest we'd see an album/tour again would be 2015 and they'd all be around 55 years old. I think they did the math and realized that, no matter what, they may be up against forces much too large for them to overcome at that point.

I agree with much of this. I also think that U2 are going to record in October - November to see if they can finish some other songs. There's lots of left over songs that can be ignored. Just look at the Beatles:

YouTube - The Beatles - Hey Bulldog in the studio

If they can finish some more songs you can choose better. There's probably good unfinished ideas that some members are arguing for.

I remember when Bono felt that Grace had to fight to make it on the album. With 50 - 60 song ideas there must be some competition amongst the band and producers over them. Also they may have cool ideas in their mind they want to follow.

I want U2 to spending more time recording than touring. Records are forever.

I really think this album, when it is finally released, will blow minds! I broke down and listened to those new "beach clips." Even with the terrible sound, there's some mighty interesting stuff being played. If this is a hint as to what the new album will be, I'm very
excited.:hyper:

I think they were more than a hint; they were a 3rd of the record. And probably the strongest songs on the album. Why else would Bono be blaring them?
I'm not saying they were good or bad, but I think they had definite character to them.

But again: who knows?

-maybe the album is done and they're waiting until they'll be more the center of attention instead of competing with other bands (unlikely imo)
-maybe it was done and they decided to rework some of the songs (possible)
-maybe the album wasn't close to being done even though people on the inside were saying otherwise (also possible)
-maybe they really are writing some amazing stuff that's way better than they already came up with (for me I find this one hard to believe, but I will hope)

I don't buy the marketing angle; I don't buy the idea that the album just wasn't ready or wasn't as strong as they'd like it. Call me a nut but I believe Bono.

I think the album was done and during remixing they stumbled upon some new ideas that really got them excited.

I don't the remasters have anything to do with the delay of the album. Anyone dedicated enough to buy the remaster, is obviously going to get the album the first day.

I think the album is done, but I don't think the delay is for fear of competition. I'm more likely to think it's due to a more personal issue. Perhaps someone's health, or any of a million reasons why they don't want to go into active promotion mode just yet. That's my theory....

:up: I agree with you. Also, maybe this is farfetched, but they might not want to release it around the time of the U.S. election.....

Also, when planning their schedule for the next few years, it might have made more sense to delay the album until 2009. They most likely have their schedules mapped out way in advance....

But, I'd like to believe Bono and whatever makes it the best album possible, I'm all for it. :yes:

:up: I agree with you. Also, maybe this is farfetched, but they might not want to release it around the time of the U.S. election.....

Also, when planning their schedule for the next few years, it might have made more sense to delay the album until 2009. They most likely have their schedules mapped out way in advance....

AND...they're going to use the extra time they gave themselves to mine for gold. Literally or metaphorically, I'm not sure. You never know with McGuinne$$.

I think it's already finished - January or February it will come out. I think only for Marketing issues it comes next year. Live Nation can distribute tickets on their own next year and such things -

I don't know. I could easily see them run into the studio as a band or individually to get get a song or two recorded or a new take on a current track. I mean we see songs changed live all the time by the band so this extra time might spark a new angle or take on a current song.

I think consideration needs to be made for the fact that in the past they have written '50-60 songs' for a release, but only actually developed an albums worth. The others become forgotten demos, rarely revisited because they keep writing when they start up again.

Maybe they are trying to really finish all the songs they have written, so they can pull a zooropa, but not have to take months off the road by actually recording it. Also, it would fuel rumours that it is their last major recording session, but not their last album. if they record 4 albums worth, they can release them over the next 12 years, without really ever doing much work, just re tweaking things to fit the times, without spending months away from family. A sort of 'semi-retirement'

I think that ever since POP every U2 album has been in 1 way or another a reaction to the previous album

since it's well known that the band's biggest disappointment with How to dismantle ... is that the songs don't add up to an album stronger than its parts I guess that they are just looking to add (well, replace) 1 maybe 2 songs to make it a more cohesive effort

I also think that everyone in the band + McGuinness knows that they've pushed the style of music they started with All that you can't ... as far as they can
there will be a change

I think consideration needs to be made for the fact that in the past they have written '50-60 songs' for a release, but only actually developed an albums worth. The others become forgotten demos, rarely revisited because they keep writing when they start up again.

Yeah and how many of those forgotten demos were early versions of the songs that do get released? When the band sits down and chooses songs I'm sure there are multiple versions of the same song. With ATYCLB, I'm sure that Always was in the pool of songs for album consideration. Same with Desert of Our Love and The Weather Girls. They are probably at the album consideration stage with all of these songs. I have to think that some members and producers are still fighting for certain songs to be released which would mean work is still being done on those tracks inside or outside the studio.

My first impression on hearing news of the delay was that it was a smoke-screen.

Due to Radiohead's, Coldplay's, etc. more innovative method of releasing new material, it has put alot of pressure on U2 to not just deliver a great innovative album, but also to deliver it in an innovative way. If they just do the same thing they always do, big hype, typical CD release, they may start to look like an old dinosaur band.

With all the hype that the album was going to be released in November this year, maybe it still is actually going to be released in November, but they needed to throw us off the scent a bit, so they can drop it as a surprise...a la Radiohead style..

Maybe Im talking crap, Im really not sure, but I would be surprised if they weren't at least going to try and respond with their release in some sort of innovative way, they almost have to by now.

I'm still waiting for the promised ATYCLB part II myself...and I wouldn't mind if they had an absolutely great pop album that they tried the last two times.

Ugh. God no.

Back
Top Bottom