white as snow sucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
White As Snow is one of the most beautiful songs U2 have made in a long time, and it's a fantastic return to the poetic storytelling lyrics of songs like RTSS or Wild Irish Rose. I love the sparse atmosphere created by the guitar, and Bono nails both the lyrics and their delivery. "The road refuses strangers" might be my favourite lyric on the whole album.

It's already my third favourite U2 song of the 2000s (Fez and TGBHF being just ahead).

haha, little harsh there NYR78!!!

It's better than anything I've written, and I can probably guess, better than anything anyone on the forum has written, so I wouldn't agree that it sucks!

It's my 3rd least fav (only ahead of Stand Up and Boots), but I love all 3 of them

It is a very strong album when songs like WAS are singled out as 'sucking'. I think that may be a relative term

i totally disagree! its an awsome song!

It's got wonderful melodies and really envokes emotion.

Indeed I've already deleted White as Snow. So boring I feel like falling asleep after 10 seconds of that song.
Acoustic U2 is boring live, it sure as hell is boring on an album aswell.

For me this is in my category worst u2 songs ever together with LAPOE / Wakeupdeadman

haha, little harsh there NYR78!!!

It's better than anything I've written, and I can probably guess, better than anything anyone on the forum has written, so I wouldn't agree that it sucks!

I really do not think so Dan!
There are songs i have written that are beter than White as snow. There, I sai it without any hesitation. I would never say that about unforgettable fire for instance :wink:

with all due respect, tell me this isnt the one song you skip over on the album...

i want to like this song...someone convince me:

Haven't skipped it once yet. IGCIIDGCT, Boots, or SUC on the other hand...:wink:

I love the song, it's different for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't play it live, though.

. I love the sparse atmosphere created by the guitar, and Bono nails both the lyrics and their delivery. "The road refuses strangers" might be my favourite lyric on the whole album.

Indeed, the lyrics are some of the best on the album and while it is 'boring', what do you expect it's an acoustic country ballad.

Thankfully it doesn't outstay it's welcome and drag on like other songs (ie. MoS).
The french horn also gives it an interesting twist (reminds me somewhat of The Hands That Built America)

It does grow on you, took me a couple of listens to get it, i had no idea what to make of it at first. It's a better slow song than Cedars too.

I like the excellent use of metaphor and contrast, "now the wolves are every passing stranger" and "who can forgive forgiveness, where forgiveness is not / only the lamb as white as snow" a subtle biblical allusion.

Many people thought that chorus line was "land as white as snow" but it's actually 'lamb'.

Some great visual imagery too "only poppies laugh under the crescent moon" also a subtle hint at where the song is set.
Unlike some of the other lyrics on the album, which are obvious and straightforward (ie. thankfully he doesn't sing "we're in Afghanistan/fighting the Taliban)

White As Snow is one of the most beautiful songs U2 have made in a long time, and it's a fantastic return to the poetic storytelling lyrics of songs like RTSS or Wild Irish Rose. I love the sparse atmosphere created by the guitar, and Bono nails both the lyrics and their delivery. "The road refuses strangers" might be my favourite lyric on the whole album.

:up:

It's a beautiful song in the vein of Van Diemen's Land and Love Rescue Me. Maybe better.

with all due respect, tell me this isnt the one song you skip over on the album...

i want to like this song...someone convince me:

convince yourself.....to each their own

for the record this is my 3rd favorite song behind no line and breathe

I really do not think so Dan!
There are songs i have written that are beter than White as snow. There, I sai it without any hesitation. I would never say that about unforgettable fire for instance :wink:

not that I want to doubt you zwervers, but do you care to prove it?

Back
Top Bottom