white as snow sucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It actually makes me cross to hear people talk about skipping this track...

I think White as Snow is one of the best things U2 have ever done... Sometimes I wonder what kind of music fans U2 attracts when people fail or even refuse to hear the beauty, grace and elegance in something like this song for inane reasons such as "Its too slow", "It's boring", "its a rip off of a hymn" or whatever... Does everything have to be about immediacy and instant gratification?? The same goes for the haters of Unknown Caller. So many just seem to be unwilling to even give the songs on this album that are that bit different a chance...

End of rant... :reject:

both white as snow and cedars grow on you. especially cedars.......i wish that song were a little longer with perhaps a little more edge thrown in there something. love the "return the call" part.

this song might grow on me, but the lyrics don't touch me (not that they are bad, I just cannot relate at the moment) and in songs like this that is a key element

in comparison, a song like running to stand still makes me feel things, and then the harmoinca at the end is the cherry on top. WAS might be a grower though like RTSS, so I'll continue to listen in hope it gets there!

Ok haters so what are your thoughts on the lyrics?? Can you honestly say that these aren't some of the best lyrics of the album (I personally think they are some of the best lyrics Bono has EVER written.)

Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide
My brother and I would drive for hours
Like we had years instead of days
Our faces as pale as the dirty snow

Once I knew there was a love divine
Then came a time I thought it knew me not
Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not
Only the lamb as white as snow

And the water, it was icy
As it washed over me
And the moon shone above me

Now this dry ground, it bears no fruit at all
Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon
The road refuses strangers
The land, the seeds we sow
Where might we find the lamb as white as snow

As boys we would go hunting in the woods
To sleep the night shooting out the stars
Now the wolves are every passing stranger
Every face we cannot know
If only a heart could be as white as snow
Wot a load of cobblers :down:

this song might grow on me, but the lyrics don't touch me (not that they are bad, I just cannot relate at the moment) and in songs like this that is a key element

in comparison, a song like running to stand still makes me feel things, and then the harmoinca at the end is the cherry on top. WAS might be a grower though like RTSS, so I'll continue to listen in hope it gets there!

go to Afghanistan and die...relate

i agree these are some of the best lyrics bman has ever written. the imagery is fantastic

Guys, come on, it's not epic and classic. ALL U2 songs must be epic and classic. If they're not epic and classic, then they're not a masterpiece, and if they're not a masterpiece, they're not epic and classic. Got it? More oh-oh-oh's please. And why is Edge not belting away?

I think White as Snow is one of the best things U2 have ever done... Sometimes I wonder what kind of music fans U2 attracts when people fail or even refuse to hear the beauty, grace and elegance in something like this song for inane reasons such as "Its too slow", "It's boring", "its a rip off of a hymn" or whatever... Does everything have to be about immediacy and instant gratification?? The same goes for the haters of Unknown Caller. So many just seem to be unwilling to even give the songs on this album that are that bit different a chance...

:up:

i agree these are some of the best lyrics bman has ever written. the imagery is fantastic

I don't think it's his best ever, but I definitely agree that the imagery and the metaphor are fantastic. :yes: Knowing that this song is about a soldier dying in Afghanistan & that it's supposed to last the time it takes for him to die, it's just great:

Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide

This solider came from some place like Kansas, a place so unlike the snowy mountains of Afghanistan.

Once I knew there was a love divine
Then came a time I thought it knew me not
Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not
Only the lamb as white as snow

He once believed in God/religion, then lost his faith. The lamb = Christ. Now that he's dying, it's on his mind.

Now this dry ground, it bears no fruit at all
Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon

Poppy/opium plants run rampant through Afghanistan.

The road refuses strangers
Roadside bombs "refuse" strangers

The land, the seeds we sow
The "seeds" of Western democracy that the soldiers and nations attempt to sow are resisted

Now the wolves are every passing stranger
Enemy soldiers can be anyone--they don't wear uniforms, so any passing stranger is a threat

Every face we cannot know
Faces are hidden by scarves

If only the enemy's heart could be as white as snow, I wouldn't lie here dying; OR, if only my heart could be as white as snow, I could go upon my death with the Lamb.

Great stuff!

I am already skipping over White as Snow. I find it boring and uninteresting. And I am a huge fan of One Step Closer, Running to Stand Still, the First Time, 40, Grace. I think U2 makes beautiful songs when they slow down the tempo and create gems like those that I've just listed. So you can't say that I'm disregarding White as Snow because it has no immediacy or instant gratification. I am most certainly not looking for those things in music. So I think its perfectly valid for those of us who don't like White as Snow to defend our opinion as a valid and musical one. Its not "different" to my ear. Its just boring. Like the opening poster said, I want to like it. But its the only song on the album that doesn't offer anything interesting.

I am already skipping over White as Snow

It's amazing how people hear things so differently. To me White As Snow is more complex and interesting with more musicality than any of the songs you listed both sonically and lyrically... It also has a massive emotional punch for me that only Running to Stand Still comes close to matching. Of course that's maybe because WAS has a particular personal resonance for me in the same way that Peace on Earth had on ATYCLB...

Each to their own eh?

It's amazing how people hear things so differently. To me White As Snow is far more complex and interesting than any of the songs you listed both sonically and lyrically...

Each to their own though eh?

I listened to it on the train today. Early morning, sun just coming up, and it was beautiful.

It's so beautiful, I love this song. U2 are really good at slow songs and Bono is best when he's singing in his low voice. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that type of song in the future.

WAS is not really hitting it with me at the moment, but I can appreciate it.

There is only one truly shitty song on this album and it's patently obvious.

Yes, I just stated my opinion as fact and I stand by it. :wink:

WAS is my favourite track on the album- the first time I heard the albumm was in the car pounding up the M5 last night - and this song just floored me completely- it's this albums Love is Blindness- I hope they play it on the tour

WAS is not really hitting it with me at the moment, but I can appreciate it.

There is only one truly shitty song on this album and it's patently obvious.

Yes, I just stated my opinion as fact and I stand by it. :wink:

good for you:up:
Every opinion is as much fact as non fact.
you have good taste anyway looking at your avator :)

Why are people trashing WAS, while the MOS is overrated thread lies cold. :huh:
People you need to get your priorities right.
I never remember anyone hyping White as Snow.

Why are people trashing WAS, while the MOS is overrated thread lies cold. :huh:
People you need to get your priorities right.
I never remember anyone hyping White as Snow.

your wish is my command. well sort of.
one time only :wink:

with all due respect, tell me this isnt the one song you skip over on the album...

i want to like this song...someone convince me:

You know, I really don't know why I come this forum. I know I come for news, up-dates, and for the sweet people who take time to email songs to us. This kind os stuff drives me nutts. I love this song so much and it is your opinoin to not like the song but give me a break.

"and the water it was icy
as washed over me
and the moon shine upon me"

This kind of music and lyric gives me the chills, in the good way.

this thread title makes me sad every time i read it.

This thread title makes me want to shit myself when I think of how ridiculous it is.

White as Snow = Innocent as Child

yes indeed.

You know, I really don't know why I come this forum. I know I come for news, up-dates, and for the sweet people who take time to email songs to us. This kind os stuff drives me nutts. I love this song so much and it is your opinoin to not like the song but give me a break.

"and the water it was icy
as washed over me
and the moon shine upon me"

This kind of music and lyric gives me the chills, in the good way.

Just find solace in the fact that at least YOU get it. Why worry about everyone else, right?

Back
Top Bottom