white as snow sucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread sucks

White as snow is the best song on the album and one of the most beautiful songs U2 have made in a long time.

It almost breaks my heart.

^^^^^^^

i agree. the only way i can accept someone not liking this song is if they just don't like slower songs. that's just a case of preferences.

otherwise, this song saves me from being depressed that Fez-Being Born just ended.

Other than being really beautiful it's the most out-there and different thing they've done in a long time.

:up: Exactly. This would also explain it's controversial nature. I think that on the U2 scale, this easy eclipses Fez-Being Born for new sound/innovation.

I skip it a lot because I feel I'm not in the mood. However, when I do play it all the way through I feel rewarded. The last minute or so is gorgeous.

this cinches it for me... amazing song...

and the stately "White as Snow," which bases its melody on the Advent hymn "Veni, Veni Emmanuel." (Mr. Clayton said "White as Snow" was conceived as the last thoughts of an Afghan killed by an improvised explosive device; its four minutes are the time it takes to die.)​

from NY Times article
Last Gang in Town | U2 news article from @U2

and the stately "White as Snow," which bases its melody on the Advent hymn "Veni, Veni Emmanuel."​

That's actually my biggest issue with the song...Bono didn't come up with the melody, and so it really doesn't sound like U2. And not in a "first time hearing Zoo Station OMFGWTF?" way, but in a "why did they choose to cover that song?" way.

Really, it's not a U2 song...it's a basic bit of acoustic guitar strumming, with Bono singing new lyrics (which I do mostly like) to the melody of someone else's song. Heard in the context of a full album listen, it works...but taken on its own as a song, it really falls short compared to the un-borrowed, full-U2 (including Eno and Lanois) innovation on the rest of the album. Taken on it's own, I would have expected it to be a B-side on HTDAAB, or holiday special (like Father Christmas), not a linchpin song on a full album.​

It's a beautiful and haunting song. The lyrics are very poetic and very truthful.

My favorites might be:

The Road refuses strangers = it could mean the soldiers who set up roadblocks or it could be about the IEDs that the soldiers have to deal with.

The land the seeds we sow = seeds being anything the military and the US try to do that is good there is rejected because at the end of the day it's an occupying force in their country.

As boys we would go hunting in the woods/to sleep the night shooting out the stars
Now the wolves are every passing stranger/every face we cannot know
= pretty self explanatory.

The ending is kind of weird, the music becomes happier in the closing seconds, I suppose it is because the dying soldier is now entering heaven.

For me this is in my category worst u2 songs ever together with LAPOE / Wakeupdeadman

Wake up Dead Man , worst. That's an oxymoronic statement. :ohmy:

Totally agree....its in u2's top ten 'total bollocks,self indulgent,prententious crap' list IMO
BsB:ohmy:

:ohmy: is right

seriously, its 7:15 am in the bronx and i cant believe the posts over "white as snow"....:)

im drunk, ive been drinking since 7 pm so im about to go on my 13th hour....

breathe live is unfuckingreal!!!!

You're just not in the mood to like WAS right now. Keep listening. :wink:
and you're right about Breath. :up:

If White as Snow had been released by another band or artist, like a Johnny Cash lets say (while he was still alive) it would be dominating the airwaves of radio stations that play that style of music. But because its U2, a band that tries to sound alternative but can't quite pull themselves away from pop music its being overlooked.

Exactly. As soon as they don't sound like U2 people say, OH that's just not
U2. Then they do U2 and people say, that's typical U2 not experimental enough.
I would have loved it had it been done by almost anyone else, also.

I skip it. I just cant get into it right now. Maybe later though.

It's going to hit you when you least expect. Just except it when it does. :drool: If it doesn't, that's ok too.:wink:

and the stately "White as Snow," which bases its melody on the Advent hymn "Veni, Veni Emmanuel." (Mr. Clayton said "White as Snow" was conceived as the last thoughts of an Afghan killed by an improvised explosive device; its four minutes are the time it takes to die.)​

from NY Times article
Last Gang in Town | U2 news article from @U2

I've read that before. This track, like some others, really touches my soul.:sad: The song and vocals are beyond good. :up:

You know, I hated it at first, but I've warmed up to it. It's now one of my favorite songs on the album.

Give it a chance, you may end up liking it.

It's a beautiful and haunting song. The lyrics are very poetic and very truthful.

My favorites might be:

The Road refuses strangers = it could mean the soldiers who set up roadblocks or it could be about the IEDs that the soldiers have to deal with.

The land the seeds we sow = seeds being anything the military and the US try to do that is good there is rejected because at the end of the day it's an occupying force in their country.

As boys we would go hunting in the woods/to sleep the night shooting out the stars
Now the wolves are every passing stranger/every face we cannot know
= pretty self explanatory.

The ending is kind of weird, the music becomes happier in the closing seconds, I suppose it is because the dying soldier is now entering heaven.

Very well said.. :up: :heart:

You might also want to add to the lyric props, the fact that the chorus line is about the 'lamb as white as snow' which is biblical allusion. It was previously thought that he was singing about a 'land as white as snow' but it's actually 'lamb'.

It gives the line "Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not/ Only the lamb as white as snow" new meaning.

I like the upbeat percussion that kicks in at the end of the song during the 'heart could be as white as snow' lines. A nice touch

I love this song. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find it absolutely beautiful.

I wonder how many people who dislike the song actually have some negativity associated with O Come, O Come, Emanuel? Maybe a subconscious dislike of the hymn leads to disliking WAS. A lot of the hate for Peace on Earth seems to be because it is too Christmas carol like so maybe the same thing is going on here.

Dana

^^^^^^^

i agree. the only way i can accept someone not liking this song is if they just don't like slower songs. that's just a case of preferences.

otherwise, this song saves me from being depressed that Fez-Being Born just ended.

:lol: You are so right, as usual.

White as Snow decidedly does not suck.

I like how all the negative threads get overrun with people who love the songs ... this album is just so good that few of us can find anything to dislike!

This song embarrassed the crap out of me.

The first time I heard it, it just stopped (The song must have loaded wrong on MySpace) in the middle of a lyric and went on to Breathe. I was like, "That was genius"; you know, I thought they did a Sopranos/All Quiet On The Western Front ending.

Of course, I played the song for a friend who isn't a U2 but wanted to hear the "Sopranos ending" and I was like you've got to here this song. So I played White As Snow, and I'm wondering why the song seems so long, and of course, it actually has a proper music outro. And of course, the response was "You made me listen to 7 minutes of that? Where was the Sopranos 'ending'"

Anyway, I think the song is OK; I'm not really a slow song person.

Amazing song, gorgeous, sits beautifully on the album.....Bono's vocal delivery is rustically charming.

A true grower, sensational, one of the less obvious reasons why this album is wonderful.

Ok haters so what are your thoughts on the lyrics?? Can you honestly say that these aren't some of the best lyrics of the album (I personally think they are some of the best lyrics Bono has EVER written.)

Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide
My brother and I would drive for hours
Like we had years instead of days
Our faces as pale as the dirty snow

Once I knew there was a love divine
Then came a time I thought it knew me not
Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not
Only the lamb as white as snow

And the water, it was icy
As it washed over me
And the moon shone above me

Now this dry ground, it bears no fruit at all
Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon
The road refuses strangers
The land, the seeds we sow
Where might we find the lamb as white as snow

As boys we would go hunting in the woods
To sleep the night shooting out the stars
Now the wolves are every passing stranger
Every face we cannot know
If only a heart could be as white as snow

Terrific lyrics I agree.......though I think Cedars of Lebanon overshadows it for lyrical brilliance.

Ok haters so what are your thoughts on the lyrics?? Can you honestly say that these aren't some of the best lyrics of the album (I personally think they are some of the best lyrics Bono has EVER written.)

Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide
My brother and I would drive for hours
Like we had years instead of days
Our faces as pale as the dirty snow

Once I knew there was a love divine
Then came a time I thought it knew me not
Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not
Only the lamb as white as snow

And the water, it was icy
As it washed over me
And the moon shone above me

Now this dry ground, it bears no fruit at all
Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon
The road refuses strangers
The land, the seeds we sow
Where might we find the lamb as white as snow

As boys we would go hunting in the woods
To sleep the night shooting out the stars
Now the wolves are every passing stranger
Every face we cannot know

Well it's either them or Breathe, but it just shows you how lackluster MoS's are in comparision.

Back
Top Bottom