white as snow sucks. - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #121
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 35
Local Time: 08:51 AM
its rather good
__________________

__________________
gwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #122
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 09:51 AM
U2 stole the melody of this song:

YouTube - O Come O Come Emmanuel
__________________

__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,637
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
U2 stole the melody of this song:

YouTube - O Come O Come Emmanuel
They acknowledged this. Check your info before shooting your mouth off.
__________________
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #124
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
They acknowledged this. Check your info before shooting your mouth off.
So they acknowledged their LAZINESS?
__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,637
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
so they acknowledged their laziness?
its not fucking laziness. It is homage. It creates a duality to the song's meaning. It invokes alternate imagers in the respondant's head. You obviously don't listen to music to interact with it. You listen to music to hear pretty sounds.

They have another albums worth of material, they could easily have put something else on their. If they changed the melody slightly it would mean they were lazy because they would be hiding the fact that were stealing it.
__________________
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,384
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
So they acknowledged their LAZINESS?
You've never heard of cover songs before? They mention "traditional" in the liner notes.

Too lazy to read the pages of the CD booklet?
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #127
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
its not fucking laziness. It is homage. It creates a duality to the song's meaning. It invokes alternate imagers in the respondant's head. You obviously don't listen to music to interact with it. You listen to music to hear pretty sounds.

They have another albums worth of material, they could easily have put something else on their. If they changed the melody slightly it would mean they were lazy because they would be hiding the fact that were stealing it.
I listen to songs probably alot more deeper than you or most people you know. That's entirely the problem with this. I have already attached significent meaning to the song "Oh come oh come Emmanuel". I can never listen to some bullshit cover version b/c that melody already means something to me. It would be like Jay-z taking "Bad" and rapping over it. It would ruin the interpretations, meanings, and experiences I've had listening to the song.
__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,637
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
I listen to songs probably alot more deeper than you or most people you know. That's entirely the problem with this. I have already attached significent meaning to the song "Oh come oh come Emmanuel". I can never listen to some bullshit cover version b/c that melody already means something to me. It would be like Jay-z taking "Bad" and rapping over it. It would ruin the interpretations, meanings, and experiences I've had listening to the song.
That first sentence is utter nonsense. You have no fucking idea how I listen to music, how much music I've listened to and what FORMAL (that's right) qualification I have in music theory, the same goes for my friends. Just as I don;t know about you, and would not ever claim I know more if it wasn't for your inane and profunctory response.

If you don't want to listen to a 'bullshit cover version' don't.
__________________
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #129
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
That first sentence is utter nonsense. You have no fucking idea how I listen to music, how much music I've listened to and what FORMAL (that's right) qualification I have in music theory, the same goes for my friends. Just as I don;t know about you, and would not ever claim I know more if it wasn't for your inane and profunctory response.

If you don't want to listen to a 'bullshit cover version' don't.
1. This past post explains so much to me. It all becomes so clear now. You're one of those University chaps who has learned music theory, therefore anything you say about anything music-related has to be right because of your "qualifications". Hahaha. Someone who has simply grown up listening to music and hanging around with musicians simply cannot have an opinion. I get it bro, I've run into your types plenty of times.

2. I won't listen don't worry.
__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,637
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
1. This past post explains so much to me. It all becomes so clear now. You're one of those University chaps who has learned music theory, therefore anything you say about anything music-related has to be right because of your "qualifications". Hahaha. Someone who has simply grown up listening to music and hanging around with musicians simply cannot have an opinion. I get it bro, I've run into your types plenty of times.

2. I won't listen don't worry.
1. No I'm not. I did social science majoring in politics at Uni. I now work for an Australian Government Minister. I AM a musician, and have grown up listening to music, playing in bands, and hanging out with other musicians and haven't done any formal music training. I said that to highlight the fact that you have no fucking idea who I am or what my background is, so you can;t make rediculous claims about how you listen to things in more detail than me.

2. It just breaks my heart
__________________
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #131
New Yorker
 
subnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In God's Cottage Country
Posts: 2,664
Local Time: 08:51 AM
__________________
subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,637
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by subnet View Post
sorry subnet, you can pop the popcorn away, I am officially over trying to teach basic comprehension.

I am so far past over discussing inane, pointless and moribund garbage.
__________________
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #133
War Child
 
Needle_Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 848
Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
U2 stole the melody of this song:

YouTube - O Come O Come Emmanuel
Well, at least the lyrics are a little less... preachy...

__________________
Needle_Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #134
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle_Chill View Post
Well, at least the lyrics are a little less... preachy...

Hahaha. 'Tis true.
__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 AM   #135
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ilford, Essex, England
Posts: 308
Local Time: 01:51 PM
White as Snow is a great song.
__________________

__________________
Thanksandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
white as snow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com