white as snow sucks. - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,422
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post
It actually makes me cross to hear people talk about skipping this track...

I think White as Snow is one of the best things U2 have ever done... Sometimes I wonder what kind of music fans U2 attracts when people fail or even refuse to hear the beauty, grace and elegance in something like this song for inane reasons such as "Its too slow", "It's boring", "its a rip off of a hymn" or whatever... Does everything have to be about immediacy and instant gratification?? The same goes for the haters of Unknown Caller. So many just seem to be unwilling to even give the songs on this album that are that bit different a chance...

End of rant...
__________________

__________________
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
i agree these are some of the best lyrics bman has ever written. the imagery is fantastic

I don't think it's his best ever, but I definitely agree that the imagery and the metaphor are fantastic. Knowing that this song is about a soldier dying in Afghanistan & that it's supposed to last the time it takes for him to die, it's just great:


Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide

This solider came from some place like Kansas, a place so unlike the snowy mountains of Afghanistan.


Once I knew there was a love divine
Then came a time I thought it knew me not
Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not
Only the lamb as white as snow

He once believed in God/religion, then lost his faith. The lamb = Christ. Now that he's dying, it's on his mind.


Now this dry ground, it bears no fruit at all
Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon

Poppy/opium plants run rampant through Afghanistan.


The road refuses strangers
Roadside bombs "refuse" strangers


The land, the seeds we sow
The "seeds" of Western democracy that the soldiers and nations attempt to sow are resisted


Now the wolves are every passing stranger
Enemy soldiers can be anyone--they don't wear uniforms, so any passing stranger is a threat


Every face we cannot know
Faces are hidden by scarves


If only a heart could be as white as snow
If only a heart could be as white as snow

If only the enemy's heart could be as white as snow, I wouldn't lie here dying; OR, if only my heart could be as white as snow, I could go upon my death with the Lamb.


Great stuff!
__________________

__________________
Utoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #108
The Fly
 
TonyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 71
Local Time: 09:00 PM
I like it!
__________________
TonyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #109
War Child
 
luna_lovegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 679
Local Time: 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post
It actually makes me cross to hear people talk about skipping this track...

I think White as Snow is one of the best things U2 have ever done... Sometimes I wonder what kind of music fans U2 attracts when people fail or even refuse to hear the beauty, grace and elegance in something like this song for inane reasons such as "Its too slow", "It's boring", "its a rip off of a hymn" or whatever... Does everything have to be about immediacy and instant gratification?? The same goes for the haters of Unknown Caller. So many just seem to be unwilling to even give the songs on this album that are that bit different a chance...

End of rant...
I am already skipping over White as Snow. I find it boring and uninteresting. And I am a huge fan of One Step Closer, Running to Stand Still, the First Time, 40, Grace. I think U2 makes beautiful songs when they slow down the tempo and create gems like those that I've just listed. So you can't say that I'm disregarding White as Snow because it has no immediacy or instant gratification. I am most certainly not looking for those things in music. So I think its perfectly valid for those of us who don't like White as Snow to defend our opinion as a valid and musical one. Its not "different" to my ear. Its just boring. Like the opening poster said, I want to like it. But its the only song on the album that doesn't offer anything interesting.
__________________
luna_lovegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #110
War Child
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 540
Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_lovegood View Post
I am already skipping over White as Snow
It's amazing how people hear things so differently. To me White As Snow is more complex and interesting with more musicality than any of the songs you listed both sonically and lyrically... It also has a massive emotional punch for me that only Running to Stand Still comes close to matching. Of course that's maybe because WAS has a particular personal resonance for me in the same way that Peace on Earth had on ATYCLB...

Each to their own eh?
__________________
MrBTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #111
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,770
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post
It's amazing how people hear things so differently. To me White As Snow is far more complex and interesting than any of the songs you listed both sonically and lyrically...

Each to their own though eh?
I listened to it on the train today. Early morning, sun just coming up, and it was beautiful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 05:00 AM
It's so beautiful, I love this song. U2 are really good at slow songs and Bono is best when he's singing in his low voice. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that type of song in the future.
__________________
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,632
Local Time: 10:00 PM
WAS is not really hitting it with me at the moment, but I can appreciate it.

There is only one truly shitty song on this album and it's patently obvious.

Yes, I just stated my opinion as fact and I stand by it.
__________________
U2DMfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #114
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 726
Local Time: 04:00 AM
WAS is my favourite track on the album- the first time I heard the albumm was in the car pounding up the M5 last night - and this song just floored me completely- it's this albums Love is Blindness- I hope they play it on the tour
__________________
djparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
zwervers2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 4,158
Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
WAS is not really hitting it with me at the moment, but I can appreciate it.

There is only one truly shitty song on this album and it's patently obvious.

Yes, I just stated my opinion as fact and I stand by it.
good for you
Every opinion is as much fact as non fact.
you have good taste anyway looking at your avator
__________________
zwervers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #116
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 418
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Why are people trashing WAS, while the MOS is overrated thread lies cold.
People you need to get your priorities right.
I never remember anyone hyping White as Snow.
__________________
razredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
zwervers2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 4,158
Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razredge View Post
Why are people trashing WAS, while the MOS is overrated thread lies cold.
People you need to get your priorities right.
I never remember anyone hyping White as Snow.
your wish is my command. well sort of.
one time only
__________________
zwervers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #118
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,770
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razredge View Post
Why are people trashing WAS, while the MOS is overrated thread lies cold.
People you need to get your priorities right.
I never remember anyone hyping White as Snow.
I haven't seen that thread yet! I definately want to post there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #119
New Yorker
 
gherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Posts: 2,525
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers78 View Post
with all due respect, tell me this isnt the one song you skip over on the album...

i want to like this song...someone convince me:
You know, I really don't know why I come this forum. I know I come for news, up-dates, and for the sweet people who take time to email songs to us. This kind os stuff drives me nutts. I love this song so much and it is your opinoin to not like the song but give me a break.

"and the water it was icy
as washed over me
and the moon shine upon me"

This kind of music and lyric gives me the chills, in the good way.
__________________
gherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #120
New Yorker
 
PowerSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: somewhere up in the ether
Posts: 2,942
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
this thread title makes me sad every time i read it.
This thread title makes me want to shit myself when I think of how ridiculous it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hasin73 View Post
White as Snow = Innocent as Child
yes indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherman View Post
You know, I really don't know why I come this forum. I know I come for news, up-dates, and for the sweet people who take time to email songs to us. This kind os stuff drives me nutts. I love this song so much and it is your opinoin to not like the song but give me a break.

"and the water it was icy
as washed over me
and the moon shine upon me"

This kind of music and lyric gives me the chills, in the good way.
Just find solace in the fact that at least YOU get it. Why worry about everyone else, right?
__________________

__________________
PowerSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
white as snow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com