Whats your thoughts on this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
david said:
I'm all for a more commercial Passengers.

Would sound, I think, a lot like Stateless/Ground Beneath. Diffferent being a good 8 years later, but similar in it's place between tuneful but musicaly focused - if you know what I mean. Traditionally structured, but without the !!!U2!!! gusto.

U2DMfan said:

Could U2 have made anything like Passengers with Danny Lanois that would have sounded anything other than exactly like U2? I think it's pretty obvious who adds more to the equation.

They made AB with Lanois alone originally, and he is still credited for producing 5 songs on the album. That didn't sound like U2 at the time either.

U2girl said:

They made AB with Lanois alone originally, and he is still credited for producing 5 songs on the album. That didn't sound like U2 at the time either.

Which of those 5 songs didn't need Eno's help to become someting other than standard U2 fare?

I mean, I hear 'salome' and 'where did it all go wrong' and almost laugh at how pedestrian those songs are, good but basic and bland.

Is that the fruits of what Lanois brought to bringing U2 out of their shell?

I'm curious, honestly.

Apparently none did since all 5 songs are credited "produced by Daniel Lanois" (and that includes such U2 standard songs like The Fly and Zoo station). There is a thank you to Eno on The Fly but are we to think his keyboards made all the difference ?

I think Lanois gets downplayed in this forum and they need both of them to shine. I mean, Zooropa and Passengers vs UF/JT/AB/ATYCLB. Interesting comments on UF from McGuiness in that recent interview.

Back
Top Bottom